Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Push Start Stories
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
03fatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Push Start Stories Reply with quote

I’m getting old to be push starting. Cool
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Push Start Stories Reply with quote

3 stories come to mind:

We went to Vegas for a bachelor party and chartered a Party bus from a company called Yolanda tours, I guess there were over 20 stupid drunk guys which is why we chartered the bus except for me because I don't drink. This was not a new or modern bus but an old Greyhound coach with 6V71 in it, the driver knew that he only one chance to turn it over when it was hot or the starter would give out. Needless to say we pushed that bus a few times that weekend.

My everyday work truck is a Syncro Tristar loaded with tools equipment and crap that sometimes gets the best of me at the worst of times. I had stopped to do a job in a parking lot at he end of an decline and there was not enough decline to pump my truck, so I grabbed a 2X4 and pushed it up the hill by myself using the 2X4 under the wheel as I pushed it I'd kick the wood under the wheel until I had enough room to start it. I was amazed by the number of people that just walked right by and never thought to ask if I was having a problem.

My buddy bought a 62 Impala with a Powerglide to use for a conversion and when we got to pick it up realized it had no starter in it. (it was cheap and we were young) No problem we used his Willy's truck to get the thing up to speed until the pump came in and locked up the converter and home we drove.

My kids were always impressed that you could start a car by just rolling it.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Push Start Stories Reply with quote

In 1970 my pal Charlie and I were headed north on 101 in California in his '48 Chevy panel for job.

Along the hiway we spotted a '60s VW bug with the engine cover up and two fine looking young ladies standing looking at the engine.

We pulled behind the bug and asked if they need help. I saw that the vee belt was off and broken. I pulled the dip stick out and it was too hot to hold and it didn't have any oil showing. I tried to spin the rear pulley but the enginne was seized.
It didn't have any bumpers on it front or rear.

Charlie suggest that we could tow them off the highway but we didn't have anything to tow with. So me being young and stupid said I'd sit on the Chevy bumper and push with my legs with my feet below the tail lights.

Charlie drove slow and the exit was about a mile away. we pushed them to the first gas station. One of them phoned her boy friend. We left them and made it to the job.

Probably one of my more dumb moments. Pretty girls can mess up my thinking.
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: