Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split case Tranny in 63 Bus
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Split case Tranny in 63 Bus Reply with quote

This one is new to me. Is there any advantage or disadvantge to putting a split case tranny in a 63 bus, besides that's what was laying around.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Split case Tranny in 63 Bus Reply with quote

There is no advantage unless you like first gear growl and coming to a full and complete stop at all stop signs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Split case Tranny in 63 Bus Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
There is no advantage unless you like first gear growl and coming to a full and complete stop at all stop signs.

I was thinking the same but the adapter seems to be well made.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Split case Tranny in 63 Bus Reply with quote

That was a lot of work to make the adapter when they could have used a split case beetle nose cone and then bolt on to the later style stock mount.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Split case Tranny in 63 Bus Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
That was a lot of work to make the adapter when they could have used a split case beetle nose cone and then bolt on to the later style stock mount.

Its crazy the things people will do. I guess I can put an engine in and see if the tranny is good, then decide whether to leave it or put a tunnel tranny.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Split case Tranny in 63 Bus Reply with quote

I used to insist on split case in all my 36hp powered VWs in order to keep it real, but reality is getting parts and anyone to rebuild one has become next to impossible. Toss it in the recycling and get a tunnel trans.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Split case Tranny in 63 Bus Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I used to insist on split case in all my 36hp powered VWs in order to keep it real, but reality is getting parts and anyone to rebuild one has become next to impossible. Toss it in the recycling and get a tunnel trans.

I'll probably end up just using the reduction boxes on a tunnel center section .
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Split case Tranny in 63 Bus Reply with quote

Ragtop wrote:
This one is new to me. Is there any advantage or disadvantge to putting a split case tranny in a 63 bus, besides that's what was laying around.

Probably they had a split case tranny that was good, so used it.
I bought a 66 DC that had a little nut tranny. Probably same deal.

x2 on what Lind said about the nose cone.

If it is good used, don't throw it away, someone wants it.
Nose cone issues putting a tunnel trans in split case bus meant I put a split case back in. But I never converted a tunnel case bus to split case.
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Split case Tranny in 63 Bus Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Ragtop wrote:

Probably they had a split case tranny that was good, so used it.
I bought a 66 DC that had a little nut tranny. Probably same deal.

x2 on what Lind said about the nose cone.

If it is good used, don't throw it away, someone wants it.
Nose cone issues putting a tunnel trans in split case bus meant I put a split case back in. But I never converted a tunnel case bus to split case.

Exactly that's what has me scratching my head Laughing Laughing
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Split case Tranny in 63 Busr Reply with quote

This bus doesn't happen to be a 1963 swr/bg standard does it? I sold one years ago that I put a split case in just to make it a roller.
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Split case Tranny in 63 Busr Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
This bus doesn't happen to be a 1963 swr/bg standard does it? I sold one years ago that I put a split case in just to make it a roller.

Its a 63 Turquoise panel
AKdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Split case Tranny in 63 Bus Reply with quote

Well, split case trannies aren't called "crashboxes" for nothin' .

And, if ya dont mind maxing out at 55 and getting passed by little ol' ladies in Ramblers, a split case might be for you. I got the original one in my '58 bus, and 1st gear is great for climbing trees, walls, and other minor obstacles. I like to start out in second gear so I dont have to come to a complete stop...

But, if you have a built motor in there, you might wanna put in a tranny with longer legs to enjoy the full power spectrum of it.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Split case Tranny in 63 Bus Reply with quote

Anybody that grew up on old American cars should know how to double clutch an get it in 1st while rolling. Just gotta spin up the input parts till close to the same speed as it will be when in gear.
Been doing it for 55 years.
And what you gonna do if somebody give you a 1951? (they are all crashboxes/ sliding gears).
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: