Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oval window shape
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Oval window shape Reply with quote

Is an oval window symmetrical? As in there is a top and bottom? My car is two hours away and I’m brainstorming. Just humor me.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Oval window shape Reply with quote

I think I have my answer. It’s not symmetrical. I was thinking I can use two oval sections to create a kinda accurate split window during my chop.
This is a real chopped split. I like the shape of the back window.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Oval window shape Reply with quote

Always been one of my favorite cars. And still going strong.

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Oval window shape Reply with quote

the oval glass has a top and bottom (doesn't have rotational symmetry). the split glass was flat

although if you're chopping the roof isn't the window shape going to be whatever you make it?

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Oval window shape Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. And yes, it’s metal and can be fabricated. Just want to look good, unlike some homemade splits I’ve seen.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval window shape Reply with quote

Years ago I was told of a split, recent restoration. Oval window made into a split. Guy trying to tell me it is factory, I said nope. Had split window glass in the car. It would not fit. Sorry. Guy was a bit upset. I said go back and get your money.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Oval window shape Reply with quote

NJ John, wasn't that Pete Peek's split, based in his shop/retail store in Lanham, Maryland in the mid '80's? I remember seeing it many times racing both at the Bug-Outs in VA as well as June Bug in PA in that era. You can barely see it here to the right of the announcer tower from the 1986 Bug-Out-
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Oval window shape Reply with quote

That’s him. Beautiful car and a real split. If I turn my oval to a split, it will be full size and I’ll bight the bullet and buy the steel oval to split kit. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=236280

I wish I had made it to an early Bug Out. I did go many times and raced there once. My first vw show was in 86, but at June Bug. My first time seeing Pete’s chop.
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Oval window shape Reply with quote

I'm well familiar with Jaime's Toy. Pete Peek did build it and named it after his daughter, Jaime. It was driven for many years by a very good friend of mine Joe Cooper. He owns the rear end that you see on the right bending over the engine in the first pic posted!

Joe lived (literally) around the corner from me when I bought my first bug in the early 90's. It was he who took me under his wing and helped me get my feet under me as far as owning and maintaining old aircooled VW's (and cars in general).

I would usually go to races and shows with him and Pete and serve as "pit crew" (gopher) on race days. Jaime's Toy was generally kept over at Joe's place and I often served as another set of hands to help keep it going between races. That is when I wasn't working on (with Joe's help) my own first (total POS) beetle.

Pete and Joe are both great guys. Joe and I are still good friends though he's moved out of MD up to PA. My wife and kiddo and I still usually head up there and visit once or twice a year.

Anyway, sorry I'm rambling but this all brings back my earliest VW memories. Those were really good days.

If you have any specific questions about the Toy feel free to ask. It is a real split that was chopped, and even back in the day when splits were slightly more common, that reeeeaaaally bothered some folks! I can probably find you some more pictures too if you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: