Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cb's wide pushrod tubes question
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Cb's wide pushrod tubes question Reply with quote

I've attempted to use these on a few engines and they worked great on the first ( of course ) but the following two I had trouble with the O ring side at the head sitting uneven and leaking. Though I'd see if any of yall use them and might have a suggestion?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb's wide pushrod tubes question Reply with quote

I tried to install some last year and found big end was a lot larger than it should used to be, and that didn't improve the fit. Seemed to bottom out on the metal before the seals were in full contact.

I found a set I bought 8 years ago and used those instead.
With stock style silicone seals.

Not sure what it all means.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb's wide pushrod tubes question Reply with quote

I have the Pauter ones, same as the copies. They all leaked. Used 1211 yamabond on all surfaces, that fixed the issue.

I even had geers change the hole location on the heads to make them a more straight shot.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Cb's wide pushrod tubes question Reply with quote

Pretty common.

I have found the issue is with the casting webs/flash near the pushrod tube spigots.
If the PR tube is bigger, it can hit the side of one of the webs. Thus preventing the seal for seating all the way.
A bit of rotary file work to gain clearance makes them seal up just fine.

I see the same issue when using spring loaded tubes as well. This is common check when I build motors.

You gotta check this clearance with the head on the motor as the pushrod tube angle is what causes the interference.
Bench fitting won't show the issue.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Cb's wide pushrod tubes question Reply with quote

Are we talking about these? https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1567.htm
Or are we talking about the slidey two-piece ones?
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Cb's wide pushrod tubes question Reply with quote

I was referring to both kinds.

Anything with a bigger than stock flange at the head can have the issue of hitting the webbing in the head.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: