Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay Window Camper - 1975 - engine fire - go electric?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What to do with '75
Junk it
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Put a rebuilt engine it
68%
 68%  [ 11 ]
Put an electric engine in it
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Other
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

MikeVdP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Bay Window Camper - 1975 - engine fire - go electric? Reply with quote

We have a 1975 VW camper van - type II.

With 126,000 miles on the original engine we had an engine fire. The engine is gone -- melted, but the rest of the vehicle is in good condition. There was virtually no entry of the fire into the cabin. The foam mattress has to be tossed, but that's about it.

My long-time, trusted mechanic says engines are just about not available and parts are hard to get. Something about Brazilian manufacturing having been shut down for going two years.

So, put an electric engine in it?

We are in California, so this is one of the last vehicles which does not get smogged, so it can take any engine setup.

Other ideas?

We welcome all thoughts.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Camper - 1975 - engine fire - go electric? Reply with quote

What are your current and long term plans for the car? Is insurance covering the transplant?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MikeVdP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Camper - 1975 - engine fire - go electric? Reply with quote

No insurance on this. This would still be an occasional camping vehicle, no a "daily-driver."
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Camper - 1975 - engine fire - go electric? Reply with quote

Depends on how far your going to drive to go camping. You can also put a trailer hitch on and buy a diesel generator to tow for longer trips. Me personally stay air cooled.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Camper - 1975 - engine fire - go electric? Reply with quote

MikeVdP wrote:
No insurance on this. This would still be an occasional camping vehicle, no a "daily-driver."
can you camp within 35 miles, or 60 with electricity available there to recharge it?

Also if the engine was toasty then the trans probably is too, and the quarter panels damaged. Photos would help. My guess is that it would be cheaper to find a donor to take parts from. Converting to an upright is an option but there is always that long shot chance that we could see some kind of medieval smog changes that roll back the smog year exemptions. I don't put anything past the government anymore, especially here in California.

Post your photos. The fire may have melted some things but if it was hot enough to melt an aluminum case I would be concerned about other issues.

Chris in Oakland might have an engine. 1975 would have been early FI.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Camper - 1975 - engine fire - go electric? Reply with quote

Is a ‘75 smog exempt in California? If so, I say a T1 big bore stoker. If that’s not your bag drop the $25k on a Subie transplant.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Camper - 1975 - engine fire - go electric? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Is a ‘75 smog exempt in California? If so, I say a T1 big bore stoker. If that’s not your bag drop the $25k on a Subie transplant.
NOTHING in California after 1966 is "smog exempt." It is just that it is not mandatory to test it every 2 years. You can still be pulled over as a gross polluter, you can still be inspected by the CHP or BAR at random test check points. It just depends on how busy they are, what their priorities are at the time etc.. One really doesn't want to wander too far from smog legal or the consequences can be painful. In 1990 you had to be pretty stupid o get caught with a hotrodded 1971 motor. In 2021 there are automated sniffers that get placed near strategic places to catch the license plates of gross polluters. That neighbor you annoy with your loud exhaust can go online and anonymously turn you in, saying they saw oil smoke coming from your bus and they smell unburned gasoline when you pass.
MikeVdP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Camper - 1975 - engine fire - go electric? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are some photos...

If you search Michael Von der Porten on YouTube, you'll find a video.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Camper - 1975 - engine fire - go electric? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
richparker wrote:
NOTHING in California after 1966 is "smog exempt." It is just that it is not mandatory to test it every 2 years. You can still be pulled over as a gross polluter, you can still be inspected by the CHP or BAR at random test check points. It just depends on how busy they are, what their priorities are at the time etc.. One really doesn't want to wander too far from smog legal or the consequences can be painful. In 1990 you had to be pretty stupid o get caught with a hotrodded 1971 motor. In 2021 there are automated sniffers that get placed near strategic places to catch the license plates of gross polluters. That neighbor you annoy with your loud exhaust can go online and anonymously turn you in, saying they saw oil smoke coming from your bus and they smell unburned gasoline when you pass.

Sounds like he’s either moving or spending $25k on a totally new T4.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Camper - 1975 - engine fire - go electric? Reply with quote

have you priced the body work, paint, electrical yet? how much is it, and if you can afford it, how long do you have to find a complete replacement engine etc..
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Camper - 1975 - engine fire - go electric? Reply with quote

A lot would depend on if the engine case got damaged in the fire, and what else burned. Under the mess may still be salvageable parts.

Its going to be expensive, especially if you hand the job over to a garage, and take advice from people who dont want to do a time consuming job, but want you to spend lots of cash with them.

As a DIY project, nothing stops you from eventually fitting another identical T4 engine into that bus. Parts are still out there, expensive maybe, rare maybe, but there are buses rotting into the ground with engines in them .

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Camper - 1975 - engine fire - go electric? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
have you priced the body work, paint, electrical yet? how much is it, and if you can afford it, how long do you have to find a complete replacement engine etc..

It is all going to come down to what you can afford. You said there was no insurance. Frankly I would probably sell it and buy another unless you are personally capable of doing all the work yourself, you have $8K - 10K lying around if you do the work, and you have the patience to work on it 6 - 8 hours every week for a year.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Camper - 1975 - engine fire - go electric? Reply with quote

MikeVdP wrote:

If you search Michael Von der Porten on YouTube, you'll find a video.

Nope, No I won't... just a odd 6second 'ashing' vido. Question Think

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2yKn7DnSj2VT_3szI14HeA/videos
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Camper - 1975 - engine fire - go electric? Reply with quote

tough call...

at this stage in my life i'd be inclined to let it go.

i suppose you have to ask yourself about long term goals.

lets say you just want to paint the ass end from the rear 1/4's back. that's an ez 5-7k alone.

every bit of rubber in the rear is toast, or i should say i wouldn't trust it. from the torsion bar back needs a rebuild...all rubbers/brake hoses/brakes etc.

easiest and cheapest would be a new engine and have the trans gone thru. even that is going to be 10-15k

convert to electric? 30k+ easy. diy probably cheaper. one wrong move and your dead if you touch the orange wires in their no no place.

put it on ebay. let 2 fools fight for it and go buy a 18-20k replacement bus? dunno. only you can answer what your long term thinking is.

i think it can be saved, no doubt. but at what cost.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Camper - 1975 - engine fire - go electric? Reply with quote

Go electric, as in buy another car. Hell, a second hand Tesla would be cheaper than fucking with that.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
busboy25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Camper - 1975 - engine fire - go electric? Reply with quote

Does making it electric violate California smog laws? It won't fail emissions test but it would fail because it no longer has the OE emission equipment.

But I feel like you first need to figure out if you can recover the vehicle minus the powertrain, this is more than a little fire that melted the mattress a bit.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Camper - 1975 - engine fire - go electric? Reply with quote

busboy25 wrote:
Does making it electric violate California smog laws? It won't fail emissions test but it would fail because it no longer has the OE emission equipment.

Not at all. If a classic vehicle is converted, it gets tagged and is smog-exempt. Bummer is there's no going back in-state.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Camper - 1975 - engine fire - go electric? Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
busboy25 wrote:

Not at all. If a classic vehicle is converted, it gets tagged and is smog-exempt. Bummer is there's no going back in-state.

Robbie
and not to mention a VW bus weighing 4000 lbs with the aerodynamics of a brick might get 90 mile range on a charge. Price a Tesla battery pack and see what they cost.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: