Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help with my 1966 vert top.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rgl1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Need help with my 1966 vert top. Reply with quote

I'm pretty confused and can't seem to find any easy answer. My top to my convertible just won't stay latched while driving. Luckily, its mostly used only during the summer with the top down but as it gets cooler I enjoy putting it up. Problem is every time I travel any distance the hold downs pop open and the front of the top comes open about 2 inches. I guess my question is about the 65-66 latches. I have found pictures of them but no information. Mine seem to latch fine but don't "rotate" enough to securely engage. The handle seems to hit the roof slightly allowing for it to easily disengage if I hit a bump. I've never quite seen my particular catch set. The latch looks like what I've found on the internet (chrome) but the catch has the visor rod built into it. Any help would be appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Rgl1100 on Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with my 1966 vert top. Reply with quote

a picture tells a thousand words so a photo of your set-up would be good.

see this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=439598&highlight=#439598

do you have a decent screen frame to header bow rubber seal in place? that could affect the fit.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...

Last edited by finster on Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Rgl1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with my 1966 vert top. Reply with quote

I've added two pictures of the catch on my convertible. I don't have a picture as yet of the latch mechanism but if you look up '61-'64 convertible latch you'll see the chrome latch found on my 66. I'm pretty sure this latch was only found on the 65 and 66 years. Anyway, as I said, they're just not staying latched in place. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the wooden bow. However, I have no idea how to fix this. I don't want to disassemble the cover since its in perfect shape and I fear I'd ruin it if I start cutting of altering it. I will post updated photos over the next few days. However, as you see, the sunvisor post is incorporated into the catch mechanism and I've yet to ever see this before.....
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with my 1966 vert top. Reply with quote

that does look like the catch plate shown in the owners handbook for the 66 year

you can also see the latch style

Rgl1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with my 1966 vert top. Reply with quote

That’s amazing. I’ve never seen this. Yes those are the exact latches I have. I just wished I could figure out how to make them work a bit better.....
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with my 1966 vert top. Reply with quote

65 66 67 Beetle Convertibles use the early style header bow latch and 65 66 67 specific combined sunvisor mount receiver.

They work on an over center latching method.

If you find the tension of the latches are loose... you need to replace the header seal..

Other possibility ...they are the wrong latches like.. 58-60... so IMO thats doubtful.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=577112

I bet its a tension issue.. takes the header seal to give resistance to the latch.

PICTURE OF LATCHES WITH TOP LATCHED MAY HELP...
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with my 1966 vert top. Reply with quote

yes, those over centre catches should be tight and take a good pull and push to operate. do you know what repair/replacement work has been done on the hood? wondering if the latches could have been refitted too low...?

is the bodywork sound and solid? too much flexing of the body can cause the hood to pop, had that happen to me in an old 181 (thing) on a motorway once!

Rgl1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with my 1966 vert top. Reply with quote

I'm sure the top has been done in the recent past(last 5-7 years) Its in outstanding shape likely due to the car only sees summertime driving. It's entirely possible the latch was placed too low but it doesn't really solve the problem if I were to reposition them. I feel it has more to do with the amount of "throw" with the latch. It doesn't seem to have the room to "close" because it hits the roof too soon. I suppose shifting the position may improve that. I'm a bit reluctant to start messing with the latch because it will cause damage to the liner but I guess I have no choice if I want to fix it....
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with my 1966 vert top. Reply with quote

The latches have specific placement and alignment bolt holes.... unless the header plates were patched or replaced I doubt they are placed incorrectly.

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D151%2D898%2D271%2DLR

If you think its as simple as latch depth....shim the latches out with shims..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with my 1966 vert top. Reply with quote

I have a 65 if you need me to take any pictures. Just let me know.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dutch1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with my 1966 vert top. Reply with quote

I had same issue on my car the latch releasing itself. Unfortunately it is not an easy fix. The lower hatch has a spring loaded tensioner underneath that keeps the lever locked in position. See pics below.

And in many occasions these start rusting away over the years and need to be replaced. The small spring plates are riveted to base plate. So check if they are still there and in decent shape.

Rgl1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with my 1966 vert top. Reply with quote

I'm going to take a look and see if those tabs are actually there on my latches. Thank you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: