Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6V cigarette lighter to power a GPS / phone in a 66 Ghia
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
josie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: 6V cigarette lighter to power a GPS / phone in a 66 Ghia Reply with quote

Hi VW fans,

I did a search and I didn't find anything, so here it goes - please help me problem solve.

I'm in the process of purchasing a 66 Ghia Coupe. How would one go about installing a cigarette lighter in the 6V system so I can charge my cell phone and GPS?

I saw in the classifieds here that someone is selling 6V cigarette lighters. Is there an adaptor or something so that my chargers will get the power they need?

Thanks so much for your help!

Josie
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one I found with just a Google search.
http://www.classiccarstereos.com/category/6-to-12-Volt-Converters.html
This would have to be hard wired in. Not just plug and play into your cig socket.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
josie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Also, I looked at some of the other forums on this site and it looks like if the phone / GPS charger only requires 6V or less, then it's ok if I use a 6V cigarette lighter/outlet. I checked both labels on the chargers and each requires less than 6V, so I should be set!

Josie
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

josie wrote:
Thank you!

Also, I looked at some of the other forums on this site and it looks like if the phone / GPS charger only requires 6V or less, then it's ok if I use a 6V cigarette lighter/outlet. I checked both labels on the chargers and each requires less than 6V, so I should be set!

Josie

Yes I run a Garmin GPS from a cigarette socket hidden away under the dash of my 6v Ghia although it does switch the GPS to battery use when standing in traffic.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
josie wrote:
Thank you!

Josie

Yes I run a Garmin GPS from a cigarette socket hidden away under the dash of my 6v Ghia although it does switch the GPS to battery use when standing in traffic.

Does it work better when you follow another 6v Ghia in series? Wink
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altema wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Does it work better when you follow another 6v Ghia in series? Wink

...or a series of 6v batteries in a trailer behind. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
josie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha...thanks guys, good to know!

I'll use the six volt cigarette lighter when I pick up the car/for now and then eventually, I'd like to convert over to a 12V system.

Josie
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V cigarette lighter to power a GPS / phone in a 66 Ghia Reply with quote

I should have looked at thesamba first...

I like to use a cell phone for navigation (& etc.) and I needed a way to keep it charged on long trips (especially when camping). And my Ghia is 6v.

Years ago I bought a big clunky 6v to 12v converter and wired that to a cigarette lighter jack. It worked to charge the phone, but it put a constant drain on the battery while in use. Not good on long trips. The charging system just couldn't keep up.

Anyway, that seemed very inefficient; going from 6v to 12v and back down to 5v. (There was a time that I used a stand-alone GPS that wanted 12v. but that has fallen by the wayside, so all I really need is a USB power jack.) So, I picked up one of these: UBEC DC/DC Step-Down (Buck) Converter - 5V @ 3A output and wired it to a USB jack placed unobtrusively under the dash. So far, I have confirmed that it does charge the phone. I am getting 5.26 volts out with a fully charged battery. (I believe USB is supposed to be 5.3.) I haven't taken any long trips yet, but plan to soon, so we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, now that I have crafted my own solution I find the ready-made units in the classifieds. I'd bet they are electronically very similar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: 6V cigarette lighter to power a GPS / phone in a 66 Ghia Reply with quote

carlk3 wrote:

Anyway, now that I have crafted my own solution I find the ready-made units in the classifieds. I'd bet they are electronically very similar.

What you've done is way craftier and probably a whole lot more satisfying. The website you've linked has another link to the application note for the regulator chip. In that paper is a section about setting the output volts. So if you really need to bump it up to 5.3 volts it'd be just a matter of changing the ratio between R1 & R2. The app note shows the formula.

Main point though is you've done a nice job.

Nicholas
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V cigarette lighter to power a GPS / phone in a 66 Ghia Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
carlk3 wrote:

What you've done is way craftier and probably a whole lot more satisfying. The website you've linked has another link to the application note for the regulator chip. In that paper is a section about setting the output volts. So if you really need to bump it up to 5.3 volts it'd be just a matter of changing the ratio between R1 & R2. The app note shows the formula.

Main point though is you've done a nice job.

Nicholas

Thanks, Nicholas. I'll have to rig up something so I can see what it puts out at highway speeds. I really just want to trickle charge the phone. As I was putting things away, I noticed (and remembered) that the cigarette lighter adapter I had been using was one of those super duper Quick Charge 3.0 units, which might have had something to do with the current drain.

Anyway, I took a trip up to the mountains; a couple hundred miles over two days, running/parking lights on most of the time, headlights on for the last half hour or so, and when I got home, the battery voltage was still just over six; same as before I left. I'm happy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V cigarette lighter to power a GPS / phone in a 66 Ghia Reply with quote

I looked up Vbus in the USB 3.2 spec. and it looks like the nominal 5V source is 4.75 - 5.50 volts.
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V cigarette lighter to power a GPS / phone in a 66 Ghia Reply with quote

I've had a little more experience with this setup, now. The Step-Down (Buck) Converter has a minimum drop of around 1.5 - 2.0 volts. So, the output is too low to charge the phone unless you're moving and the generator is putting something out. (I can also barely get it to charge at idle when the car battery is 100% full.) I guess this is really a feature, since charging the phone is generally of secondary importance compared to charging the car battery.

However, this caught my eye, for $16: Boost Buck Converter, DROK DC 5.5-30V to 0.5-30V 5V 12V 24V Adjustable Power Supply Regulator Module, 4A 35W High Power Voltage Step Up Down Converter Board with Case LCD Display. With that, you could charge the phone all the time. But again, that might not be a good idea. The LCD readout is cool, though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: