Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Scott SD wrote:
My advice from building and breaking more than a few transmissions. 4.12 is great, 3.88 is stronger. A 4.12 with a stock 0.89 is probably the best combo for city/hwy. But, you can use either. All of the late 70s cars had a 3.88 with a 0.93 4th. Coming from the Mexi box, it would be more noticeable in 1st gear. For the 1st gear, do not use a 3.80. It is an early mainshaft and weak. The later 3.78 is much stronger.

I built a 3.88 Box with a stock gear stack in a '67 that would cruise on the freeway effortlessly, but it had a nice 1776 w/44 Webers.

For my Mexi I plan to swap to a late 3.88 box with a few upgrades.

Root_Werks wrote:
I have a 2003 Sedan that I bought new and only use occasionally. Reason is the gearing is very low.

Been poking around for the different FF Swing Axle tranny's and thinking this is the way to go.

Anyone installed one of the 3.88 R&P units?

Mofoco has a gear combo I like:

1st gear: 380
2nd gear: 206
3rd gear: 132
4th gear: 0.82
Ring and pinion (final drive ratio): 4.12

I would think the high torque of the 1600i would pull the taller gears more than fine.

Would love to take my Bug on longer trips. Simply not an option with the stock gear ratios.

-Dan

Thanks to both for input. Gonig with 4.12 instead of the 3.88. Strictly Foreign is building a trans for me. Going to get the Bug down to him and have his shop do the swap. Very excited to get more normal gearing. Wife and I plan on taking a road trip back up from Grants Pass OR to WA.
ae86jimmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Wow! Awesome pictures. I will try and dig up some that i took in Mexico in 2018.

I also would love some taller gearing in my beetle. It's just too short for big Canadian highways.

I was hoping I could get some help/ insight with a few issues I have been having on my 2002.

Firstly. I ordered some plugs (BP5ES) earlier this week. What came in was BPR5ES. I see that R is the resistor type... Any ideas on if these will work?

STARTING ISSUE: My issue has been getting worse. Initially, the car would not start first crank. Now it happens more routinely. The car will crank but not start. (I think I have spark when this happens. I checked once while it was cranking). However, I recently discovered that I can almost always get her to start first try if I turn the key back and forth a few times before actually hitting the starter. This makes me think it may be something fuel related. Any ideas?

FLASHING ALTERNATOR LIGHT AT IDLE: When the car is cold (usually first 5 mins of driving), she will usually flash the ALT light at me while at idle/ low rpm. with the revs up I don't see the light at all. Once warm, the issue goes away. My belt seems nice and tight. Oh, the engine will usually drop rpm, and sound lopey/ surge when the light flashes at idle. I'm thinking that this may be the internal regulator. Should I go ahead and buy one?

I have been checking voltage at the B+ on the alternator. Normally it sits at about 14.2/14.3. When she is surging and the light flashes, my voltmeter will jump around between 11 and 14v

Any tips/ advice would be helpful.

Thanks!
James
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

ae86jimmy wrote:

Firstly. I ordered some plugs (BP5ES) earlier this week. What came in was BPR5ES. I see that R is the resistor type... Any ideas on if these will work?

I was able to get some BP5ES's at Benson's in Carleton Place earlier this year. They told me that NGK has now superseded BP5ES with BPR5ES.

The "R" is a suppressor for radio noise, so I wouldn't think it would matter (I have a set of those as well, but I haven't tried them).

You can still order BP5ES-A from Mexico. The '-A' is a different electrode, there is a discussion about it further back on this thread.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)

Last edited by hopkin on Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
ae86jimmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Awesome Paul! In that case I have a set of plugs waiting for me at the shop!

James
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

"STARTING ISSUE: My issue has been getting worse. Initially, the car would not start first crank. Now it happens more routinely. The car will crank but not start. (I think I have spark when this happens. I checked once while it was cranking). However, I recently discovered that I can almost always get her to start first try if I turn the key back and forth a few times before actually hitting the starter. This makes me think it may be something fuel related. Any ideas?" from ae86jimmy
first of all get you a jumper box the small ones work great and do not cost alot from Amazon now if you have no wiring shorts in your car as I know my 2001 does somewhere put in a hot start relay and it will get your car going.... as for the Spark plugs I had NOS champions for my Rabbit Gti and they work great in my Mexi....Sam
PS do you have a US postbox?
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Sotobaggins wrote:
...PS do you have a US postbox?...

Soto, Jimmy is close to me here in Ottawa, we can have items shipped to the UPS store in Ogdensburg, NY (about a 40 min. drive), however the border is still closed. So for now, this option is not available.

The UPS store is a couple of minutes over the border. You don't have to notify them, just ship your items there and they have a website where you can check to see if there is a package for you. $5 (US) per package for the service, cheap compared to shipping to Canada, with the bonus of filling your car up cheaper while you're over.

Sotobaggins wrote:
...first of all get you a jumper box the small ones work great...

These go on sale at Canadian Tire from time to time, I picked one up last year, they do work great.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
ae86jimmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I am lead to believe even more that this is a fuelling issue. I sat in traffic in the blistering heat today. Stopped the car when home, and tried to restart right away. Wouldn't start no matter how many times I "primed" the key. I have some quick-start in my car, so I sprayed her down the throttle body and she fired right up and stayed running.

I need to change out these plugs ASAP. I'm sure I have spark but not sure how good it is. Pulled a plug today and she is pretty white.

Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Done the basics I assume like swap the fuel filter.

Wonder if the injector need cleaned? My 2003 only has about 11k miles on it and been pretty careful about using only E-Free fuel. But it's still an 18 year old car. Had to swap filter and fuel pump about a year ago because even the E-Free gelled up on me.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:

I was thinking the fuel filter as well, you can get one from cip1. This is the one I put on my car earlier this year:
https://cip1.ca/bos-0-450-905-030/
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:

I was thinking the fuel filter as well, if you need one you can get it from cip1. This is the one I put on my car earlier this year:
https://cip1.ca/bos-0-450-905-030/
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
ae86jimmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Yep, I changed it earlier this week. Bought one locally (thanks for part numbers 1600i.de). Pissed me off too, because the new filter didn't have flared inlet/outlet. Cranked those hose clamps good!!!

I blew out the old filter with compressed air and not a speck of dirt. I had a fuel pump failure in Mexico and swapped in a new pump (not oem).

I should maybe try and find a fuel pressure tester next and see what kind of readings I get.

Also, thanks Paul for recommending the earlier model hood wiring cover, fits fine.

Any ideas on my alternator issue? Unfortunately I am terrible with electrics. I need to properly sit down and understand how it all works one of these days. Still witchcraft to me.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

ae86jimmy wrote:

Also, thanks Paul for recommending the earlier model hood wiring cover, fits fine.

No problem Smile

Message me on facebook, we can meet up on Sunday, after Volksfest today, and have a look.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

For those who did not see me post this on facebook ...

100,000 kms, 10 years later and still lookin' good:
The day my car arrived from the UK:

73226.5 km on the odometer:

173226.5 km (new glass installed shortly after I bought the car):

I went down a backroad so I could stop (safely) to take the pic!

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Saturday evening, I pulled the stock shifter out. Then installed my Hurst Shifter I rebuilt.
Adjusted it, took the Bug on a test drive.
WOW, what a difference! Before I had a lot of transmission gear noise, it’s gone!
Shifts thru the gears so smoothly, it’s like driving a hole different car. It also looks great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Pegasín wrote:
Brand new catalytic exhaust just arrived at home!

At the last emissions controls, the CO2 values and lambda was too high but still legal in Spain by a bit. The Oxygen sensor (Lambda) was changed before.

For this year I don´t wanna take risks for the next annual inspection (obligatoy in Spain) and started to searching a new catalytic exhaust. Is very hard to find that spare part in Europe but finnaly I found one at eBay in Germany.

Yes, It'snt original VW or OEM but I think that now in Mexico many 1600i equiped it o something similar. That's true?. The manufacturer is mexican: AM Exhaust. Basicaly is a muffler with the catalytic converted welded on it.

In several months it will be the next inspection and I trust that emissions will be at legal values. But my only worry is that it is not EEC approved (CE Marking). Any experiencies?

First number are the date of manufacture, EW means "Ensamblaje VW" (VW fitting) , 5728 is the model of the exhaust and N is "high catalytic charge" acording AM Exhaust told me in a message.

Finally, emission test passed OK with the new catalitic exhaust.

CO at idle: 0.5%
CO at 2.500 rpm : 0.1%
Lambda: 1.0

...and sticker of approval untill august 2022

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beauve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hi All,

Does anyone by chance have an owners manual of an 1991 vw beetle 1600 but not yet the 1600i version?

I have to prove how many KW and HP my engine is and for some reason everywhere I look it states something different. Therefor they don't except it without proof and only with eg the owners manual. Any idea where i can find this?

I looked at the document section but couldn't find something relevant.
My engine starts with AF and is an 1600cc 46bhp DIN, Non-USA M240 low octane.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this will help, but here are some details from Nichols Rosenow's VW book:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
beauve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
I'm not sure if this will help, but here are some details from Nichols Rosenow's VW book:

Hi Hopkin thats exactly what I need as it has the correct engine number does it somewhere in the book state how many HP and KW those engines are? I don't see it on the page.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

beauve wrote:

Hi Hopkin thats exactly what I need as it has the correct engine number does it somewhere in the book state how many HP and KW those engines are? I don't see it on the page.

It looks like the AF engine was introduced mid 1986 model year (until 1992).
I don't read German (even though I have the book Smile ), so I don't know all the details shown here, but item 9 looks like what you are looking for:

I bought the book at OMNICAR (Germany), it looks like there is a newer version of the book available:
http://www.omnicar-ag.de/bordliteratur.htm
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hi Hopkin and beauve,
I looked it up for you, more data in this book is on pages 93 and 121.
The AF engine was built in Mexico as standard engine from 1973 to 9/1992 (when the ACD/1600 i appeared). It had 46 HP/34 KW. From 10/1990 til 8/1992 it was equipped with a catalytic converter (but still carburetor).
The smaller 1200 D-engines 34 HP/25 KW were made exclusively for the export to Europe from 12/1977 to 8/1985.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 148 of 192

Jump to: