Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'73 Super Salvage Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

I now have a nice digital Innova timing gun that gives RPMs at the same time as showing the advance timing. At 7.5 BTDC, then vac hose connected, I'm getting 44* all in at 3-3500 RPM. I think I'm just going to ride w/it. Any objections?? Very Happy

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

whats your compression ratio? If it's basically stock you should be fine.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
whats your compression ratio? If it's basically stock you should be fine.

Well...as a first time assembler, I never checked that. I used stock size 85.5 AA P&Cs, heads and rods, no shims. Has run fine w/87 pump gas for over 14k miles since April 2020. I don't think oil temps have ever gone over 220, even in 90+ July heat in 300 mile drive on the FL turnpike or hills in MD, PA and upstate NY. Compression per cylinder was 125-130 or 135 IIRCC.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Well, bring on the I-told-you-so's. The ebay carb experiment lasted 2 months. the throttle has been binding the last few times i've driven it which is as close to cruise control as ive had in a Bug...except i wasnt expecting it. no amount of fiddling on my part has worked so i'm back to the Bocar for now. Too bad too because the ebay special idles great and has a responsive throttle. I scavenged its choke and shipped it off to a highly skilled mechanical engineer and old car enthusiast friend in CA for a curiosity autopsy, to see if it can be diagnosed and brought back to life.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Do you think it just needs the throttle shaft reamed for real bushings?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Do you think it just needs the throttle shaft reamed for real bushings?

Could be. I've never done that myself, nor have the tools for it. My friend does and will send it back to me if he can get it to run safely - i.e., w/out automatic cruise control!

Interesting note about the ebay special vs the Bocar or a Solex - it ways at least 1 lb *less* than the others.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Quick updates. Took a nice highway drive in 30* this evening. Check this out - yep, a working defrost grid! Glass was clear about 10-15 minutes into the ride.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And so far the thermostat from Awesomepowdercoat.com seems to be working great. As nice as this car has been running, I can *really* tell the difference w/the working thermostat. Definitely warms up faster. This is what it looked like after 30 miles, the last 10 minutes in stop & go.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Is it pretty cold back there, Victor? The thermostat is barely opening.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Tim, it's 28* right now, it was 30* when I started and daylight, dark by the time I got home and took the picture. I stopped at a couple of traffic lights near the end, probably cooled off a bit. I think.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim
I mean that could be from the time he turned off the car, closed the lights, unbelted and got out. I know my thermostat closes up real quick after I turn the car off.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:
Tim

Tim, it's 28* right now, it was 30* when I started and daylight, dark by the time I got home and took the picture. I stopped at a couple of traffic lights near the end, probably cooled off a bit. I think.

That looks and sounds about right to me. I run old stock thermostats in my Bug, and they usually seem to stay mostly or completely closed/compressed whenever operating the car in near or below freezing temps, even after highway runs.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Glad to see someone else running an Awesome Powdercoat thermostat! Very Happy I love the one I got for my '73 Super and how the car runs with a properly adjusted flaps system.
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Took the car on a 30-mile mostly highway ride. It was about 45* outside, sunny windy. Got home, left the car running and took this picture of the thermostat:

Car ran well, was responsive, heat was nice and well hot. Opened the engine compartment, left heat-riser too hoot to touch. I checked the oil temps - i have one of those aircooled.net thermostat dipsticks - only 150*!!! Shocked Doesn't seem right after 30 miles at 70 mph. However, the last 2-3 miles were at 20-35 mph through the neighborhoods on the way home, w/a pit stop for gas. Maybe that was enough for it to cool after the highway run. I pulled the dipstick out and just w/the outside air the needle immediately started going down down.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

That's about how mine usually is when it's cold or cool outside here in cali.

Back when it was still hot outside it did open fully after a highway run.

Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Hi Vamram,

Is this the car that you needed to remove the fan housing before installing the thermostat?

What method did you use to remove the fan housing? Did you drop the engine or remove the decklid?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Yep, that's the one. To be honest I have yet to remove the fan housing. The travel of the thermostat rod is good and it doesn't bind and lines up properly with the bracket's bolt hole when pulled into place. . What I did have to is add a couple of washers on the stud between the bracket and the case to line it up straight when the tstat is installed and bolted down.

Yeah, it's a bit of a hack and I'll remove the housing properly when the weather warms up and I have the easy to remove decklid hinge pins ready to install.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Hey Victor! Sounds like everything is great!

In this picture, it looks like the thermostat is not seated into the bracket all the way. I can clearly see the slotted sides.

I remembered those “keying” into the bracket. Is it fully seated into the bracket? Maybe Awesome Powder Coatings unit is different than stock at that mating point.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Jimbo, you worried me so I went out and checked. It's installed properly, that's just the way awesomepowdercoat built the thermostat. No idea why Clark builds them like that.

While I was out there, I adjusted the valves - all except #4 intake we're slightly loose at .007-8. I also tightened the fan belt by two shims...it was looking pretty wobbly and I'd noticed yesterday the alt light stayed on dimly at start up yesterday until I revd the throttle a couple of times. All that was fun to do in 20* let me tell you!!!

Forgot I have a Coleman gas heater for days like today. Rolling Eyes Very Happy

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Hey Victor! Sounds like everything is great!

In this picture, it looks like the thermostat is not seated into the bracket all the way. I can clearly see the slotted sides.

I remembered those “keying” into the bracket. Is it fully seated into the bracket? Maybe Awesome Powder Coatings unit is different than stock at that mating point.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Good to know! Sorry to get you worried. It was just odd looking. Better safe than sorry! Stay warm!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Picked up this puppy new, still in the package fuel pressure regulator off of fleabay. I'm going to try to install it before my 1k-mile trip begins this Friday.

What's a good sealant to use for the fittings?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 41 of 51

Jump to: