Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hard Brake Issues - hard to stop!!
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Hard Brake Issues - hard to stop!! Reply with quote

Pulled my '67 bus out of the garage after sitting for 8 years and freshen it up. The wheel cylinders were stuck and leaked a little brake fluid. Changed all the wheel cylinders, rubber hoses and brake shoes back and front. Bleed the brake system and adjusted the brakes. I got hard pedal which is good with no "spongy" issues. However, when apply pressure to the brake pedal, the bus will slow down but not stop. Feels like the brake shoes have grease on them. The only thing I can think of is a faulty master cylinder which is over 20 years old. Wanted to get some ideas from you guys. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vwnc on Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard Brake Issues - hard to stop!! Reply with quote

(Edit: Whoops. Saw that you already replaced the rubber hoses. The advice below is good. Cheers.).

Hello. I'll bet you anything that your soft rubber brake lines have swollen up on the inside and are stopping fluid pressure from making it to your wheel cylinders. Even if the outer rubber looks great the inners can be swollen. I would consider replacing them all.

Good luck with your project!
-Wade

Last edited by Wade on Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard Brake Issues - hard to stop!! Reply with quote

Here's an idea. Redo the entire brake system starting at the MC Dual circuit w disc's in front. Brakes are the most important system in a Bus with todays drivers and cars. Ever notice how there are so many Mario Andretti's (I was gonna say assholes but I would never say that) Brakes need to be correctly seated, so maybe that is one of the issues-they do get better. Makes no sense to NOT use better brakes when they are available. It would be nice to just go stock, but not me. Nearly every car out there can stop on a dime (40 to zero), but you can't and the way they pull in front of a Bus is just too risky. I went 4 wheel disc b/c I love to drive my Bus.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard Brake Issues - hard to stop!! Reply with quote

Check that the shoes are arced to match the drums. Pull the drums and if you see shiny high spots, file those down then visually inspect that the full length of the lining is in contact with the drum. You can also use a feeler gauge to find low spots. That can increase the contact patch significantly.

Years ago, when I would buy new linings and have the drums turned, they would arc the shoes to match each drum individually but these days I just do it myself with a file. Sandpaper on the bench works too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard Brake Issues - hard to stop!! Reply with quote

^This^
Most shoes need to be arced to fit the drums well, nobody does it commercially anymore so it's up to you. Some sticky backed sand paper on the inside of the drum and some careful hand rubbing of the shoes for that drum against it will do a pretty good job, wear a mask and don't blow the dust around afterwards.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
52 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard Brake Issues - hard to stop!! Reply with quote

nice tip about sticky sand paper, and mask for sure.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard Brake Issues - hard to stop!! Reply with quote

Arcing shoes photos half way down on this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=140
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Hard Brake Issues - hard to stop!! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
^This^
Some sticky backed sand paper on the inside of the drum and some careful hand rubbing of the shoes for that drum against it will do a pretty good job,

Sandpaper inside the drum works great. It reduces the radius a bit so you'll still need to take a bit off the center but it gets rid of any grooves and speeds up time to bed-in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWgulHvItxg
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hard Brake Issues - hard to stop!! Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Arcing shoes photos half way down on this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=140

Lots of good pictures in that thread. I like his simple sharpie technique.
vwnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Hard Brake Issues - hard to stop!! Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions and particularly the thread on the truing the arch of the shoe to match the drum. Going that route first sanding them down.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hard Brake Issues - hard to stop!! Reply with quote

it isn't mentioned that you adjusted the break shoes either - they have to be manually adjusted, not automatic like a lot of cars. yes with the arching but you still should have been able to stop if you adjusted them correctly prior to bleeding. I've never not been able to lock my brakes up stomping on the pedal, regardless of arching.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hard Brake Issues - hard to stop!! Reply with quote

Erik, yes, I adjusted the shoes. I've replaced many sets of brake shoes on multiple VWs I have or have had an don't recall running into this issue.
galexander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hard Brake Issues - hard to stop!! Reply with quote

Sounds like a bad Master cylinder.
Try replacing it, make sure all brakes are adjusted, re bleed and see where you are.
good luck!
Gary
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hard Brake Issues - hard to stop!! Reply with quote

I'd look at the shoes first, betcha there's a few small shiny spots and a whole lot of untouched areas. Another re arcing job described on page two here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713949&highlight=arcing

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
vwnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hard Brake Issues - hard to stop!! Reply with quote

Replaced and the master cylinder and all is good! Thanks for the responses and advice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: