Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia vs Type34?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBeanCAr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Ghia vs Type34? Reply with quote

I'm in Spain and razors are more common than in the US. But how about parts, in general?
I know the body panels are all different, but what about things like brakes; front suspension; rear suspension; engine, transmission?
For engine/trans, I know it's not a type 1 engine, it's a type 3; but is it different from a square/fast/notchback?

Regards
KPottorff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Type34? Reply with quote

I own one of these, a 1964 . The running gear is like that of the Type 3 where the engine, transmission and brakes are Volkswagen and parts are available easily, except for the front brake wheel cylinders and shoes for this year. I had the shoes relined when I last worked on them.

If I have to work on the front again I plan on getting a disc brake setup.

Suspension parts are pure VW with torsion bars.

As I understand it, the difference is that the Ghia is built on a modified Beetle chassis and the 34 is built on a straight Squareback/Fastback chassis.

One good thing is that I didn't need to get new tools to work on the car. Anything used for my Beetles worked well on the Type 34.
MrBeanCAr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Type34? Reply with quote

KPottorff wrote:
I own one of these, a 1964 . The running gear is like that of the Type 3 where the engine, transmission and brakes are Volkswagen and parts are available easily, except for the front brake wheel cylinders and shoes for this year. I had the shoes relined when I last worked on them.

If I have to work on the front again I plan on getting a disc brake setup.

Suspension parts are pure VW with torsion bars.

As I understand it, the difference is that the Ghia is built on a modified Beetle chassis and the 34 is built on a straight Squareback/Fastback chassis.

One good thing is that I didn't need to get new tools to work on the car. Anything used for my Beetles worked well on the Type 34.

Sounds like the T34 is a type 3 with a Ghia body; which should be obvious but it eluded me! That actually makes me more interested in it. I've always like the Type 3, particularly the Fastback; but they are hard to find. I did a test drive in one last year and I was very impressed with it's road manners. Faster, more sure footed than a Type 1. I might also be imagining it, but I think the back seat is larger than the regular Ghia (not hard to do!).
If I were in the US I'd be a bit more concerned about replacement body panels, but we seem to have little to no rust here in Spain.
Thanks and regards
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Type34? Reply with quote

And just to keep the conversation lively....

Isn't a original Ghia a Type 14?

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Type34? Reply with quote

NoDents wrote:

Yes.

As for Type 3 and parts for the Type 34 Ghia it's the interior and body parts that are going to be more difficult to source than the mechanicals. Just as it is for our Type 14's.
Alex and his staff at ISP West is a good resource for Type 3 Parts. They also seem to have a fair amount of Type 34 bits too.
https://vwispwest.com/

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
MrBeanCAr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Type34? Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
NoDents wrote:

Yes.

As for Type 3 and parts for the Type 34 Ghia it's the interior and body parts that are going to be more difficult to source than the mechanicals. Just as it is for our Type 14's.
Alex and his staff at ISP West is a good resource for Type 3 Parts. They also seem to have a fair amount of Type 34 bits too.
https://vwispwest.com/

Checked out the iSP site and Type 34 stuff. Wow, that's really good stuff!!! I was doing a Type 14 project 29 years ago, and floor pans were quite difficult to get at that time. I settled for recycle/used/not in very good shape. Now, they not only have almost everything for the T14 but a lot for the T34. I'm not going to worry about parts availability anymore. As my ultimate goal is not a perfect original car but a mechanically sound, close enough to original car
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Type34? Reply with quote

MrBeanCAr wrote:
I'm in Spain and razors are more common than in the US. But how about parts, in general?
I know the body panels are all different, but what about things like brakes, front suspension, rear suspension; engine, transmission?
For engine/trans, I know it's not a type 1 engine, it's a type 3; but is it different from a square/fast/notchback?

Regards

Hi,

I own several type 3's including a type 34 Ghia & also have a TYPE 14 Ghia. The chassis, engine brakes and such are pretty much the same as the other type 3's of similar years. Except the TYPE 34 Ghia never got fuel injection (unfortunately) Body and interior are almost 100% unique to the car. I'd ask TYPE 34 specific questions over in the Type 3 forum because that's where most owners\enthusiasts on the Samba would be.

-Lucas
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI

Last edited by EasternNotch on Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrBeanCAr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Type34? Reply with quote

Quote:

Hi,

I own several type 3's including a type 34 Ghia & also have a T1 Ghia. The chassis, engine brakes and such are pretty much the same as the other type 3's of similar years. Except the T34 Ghia never got fuel injection (unfortunately) Body and interior are almost 100% unique to the car. I'd ask t34 specific questions over in the Type 3 forum because that's where most owners\enthusiasts on the Samba would be.

-Lucas

In hindsight I should have put this question in the T34 area; I think T34 owners are more likely to know about both T14 and T34, T14 owners may only be interested in T14.
I have fuel injection on an '83 Mercedes Benz R107, and when it works it is incredible. But it took me awhile to get it there; rebuilt fuel distributor, warm up regulator, and injectors. Those weren't so bad as far as $ ($600 for distributor, $250 for injectors); but the car was in the shop a total of 3 months!!!
All things considered, I think from the standpoint of "sustainability", carbs on a car of this era may be better. There's just not a lot of people out there who are knowledgeable about EI from 50 years ago.

At this time I'm a bit ambivalent: get a car that I've wanted for decades, putting up with the issues of getting it right; or do like my dad did when he got older, divesting of as much material stuff as I could in preparation for the long dirt nap. In his last 5 years, he only had 2 glasses and 3 plates in his cupboard-he said he didn't want to leave a burden for the kids!

Regards
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Type34? Reply with quote

??????? This thread is very confusing and not sure what it has to do with KG's.

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Brezelmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Type34? Reply with quote

I totally agree, very confusing thread.

Specially when people call a TYPE 143 Ghia T1 Ghia.

T1 Ghia would be a Type2-Ghia. Rolling Eyes
There are no such thing of course, but some people totally confuse things and mess it up.

Type 343 correct name for the type 3 Ghia / razor edge.

Type 143 is the "normal" Ghia Lhd coupé. ( actually 141,142 ,143,144 and 147 is the Fridolin.)

Type 14 is actually Hebmüller.

To everyone. PLEASE just stop using T1, T2 etc except when it concern Type 2 (bus and pickup)

T1 is Type 2 bus/pickup 1950-1967.
T2 is Type 2 bus/ pickup 1968-1979.
T3 is Type 2 bus/pickup 1979-2002 (including South African builds)
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Type34? Reply with quote

Brezelmeister wrote:
I totally agree, very confusing thread.

Specially when people call a TYPE 143 Ghia T1 Ghia.

T1 Ghia would be a Type2-Ghia. Rolling Eyes
There are no such thing of course, but some people totally confuse things and mess it up.

Type 343 correct name for the type 3 Ghia / razor edge.

Type 143 is the "normal" Ghia Lhd coupé. ( actually 141,142 ,143,144 and 147 is the Fridolin.)

Type 14 is actually Hebmüller.

To everyone. PLEASE just stop using T1, T2 etc except when it concern Type 2 (bus and pickup)

T1 is Type 2 bus/pickup 1950-1967.
T2 is Type 2 bus/ pickup 1968-1979.
T3 is Type 2 bus/pickup 1979-2002 (including South African builds)

Perhaps the entire forum should be renamed I mean Ghia did design many other cars before the VW Ghia. I was sure to edit mine to prevent further confusion here, thanks for pointing this out pretzelmeister
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Type34? Reply with quote

This site is devoted to Volkswagens, this Forum is dedicated to the Karmann Ghia. Everyone here knows what is meant by a GHIA on this site, why the confusion? Everyone also knows Ghia designed many types of vehicles for different companies, but the Karmann Ghia, in my opinion, is the sexiest and most elegant design made. Combination of German engineering and Italian style, perfect combination!
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Type34? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
but the Karmann Ghia, in my opinion, is the sexiest and most elegant design made. Combination of German engineering and Italian style, perfect combination!
Jeff

Can't argue with that!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Type34? Reply with quote

Very nice. So very few of these around, it's always nice to see a good example!
Jeff

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Type34? Reply with quote

I can move this to the Type 3 section if you wish - let me know.

In general I would say the Type 3 people know more about the Type 34 than Type 1 Ghia people since it's Type 3-based but also has all of the unique Type 34 parts that rarely overlap with anything used on the Type 1 Ghia
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Type34? Reply with quote

When I did a search. These examples were in the "Karmann Ghia Coupe" Gallery. TC, Type 34 and Brazil.
I think the Karmann Ghia forum is appropriate. The aforementioned are pretty rare models. I doubt the topic is going to overwhelm us IMO.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: