Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suthern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken? Reply with quote

I like the mechanical fasteners approach - how long are those screws?
Jonwid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken? Reply with quote

Suthern wrote:
I like the mechanical fasteners approach - how long are those screws?

The screws are between 3/4" but shorter than 1". Just long enough to go into the metal frame behind the plastic and not interfere with any of the latch mechanism. I drilled pilot holes. The screws are self tappers. Got the screws at the Pep Boys, come in assorted lengths in a pack.
Suthern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken? Reply with quote

Hey,

I finally pinned mine this afternoon - thanks for posting the pics and giving me a reference point to do this in the blind.

I used a 1" #8 sheet metal screw with about 1/8" shimming. I'll come back and tidy up the look with some gray rattle can like I did on my bin lids.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jonwid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken? Reply with quote

Gray paint. That's dedication. Yours looks better.
Suthern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken? Reply with quote

We'd both be docked points at Concours d'Elegance. Laughing

It is really nice to not have to fiddle with that lock anymore - been going on for too long! I wouldn't have had the courage to do this without your pic - had the thought but no idea what was back there and given how sensitive the mechanism is to such a slight deformation wouldn't have taken the risk.

Thanks again!!
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken? Reply with quote

I think a #8 screw and some of these over them might make it look OEM.

http://www.busdepot.com/701070923g
Suthern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken? Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
I think a #8 screw and some of these over them might make it look OEM.

http://www.busdepot.com/701070923g

Those look good. I've ordered something them before, will add these next time...
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken? Reply with quote

Here's another option. They offer them in Gold too! That will add some bling to your EV.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#screw-caps/=12ybc88
pwcgecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken? Reply with quote

Hello All...i purchased a 2002 Eurovan weekender, it had the described lock not locking issue. I used the single 1" sheet metal screw as recommended in this post and it did the trick. Thank you for the post!!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken? Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
Here's another option. They offer them in Gold too! That will add some bling to your EV.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#screw-caps/=12ybc88

Then they won't match your shades, though. You can get replacement gray shades, but minimum order is 50.
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken? Reply with quote

I decided to address a rattle in the sliding door. I did not have the loose lock issue described here, but after having the panel off and cleaning/lubing the lock mechanism, I can see how the screw would help. Seems that if the lock pin is not held in just the right position (ie door card firmly in place), it won't move at all.

As for the rattle, I learned that the foam surrounding the metal rod extending the length of the door had completely rotted away. My solution was to wrap it in nylon mesh used for protecting wire looms. See the pic for detail.

While in there, I wen't a little overboard and added sound-deadner and insulation, along with re-gluing most of the retaining clips as mentioned in the earlier-linked thread. Now it sounds like a door from an Audi A8 when closing. Too bad it's the only one that sounds like this... for now.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mvaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken? Reply with quote

i also use trim screws to reattach panels to both the plastic clips retainers and just straight to door frame.... only after a few months of struggling with a variety of adhesives that eventually all gave out... didn't try windshield adhesive though.
westy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken? Reply with quote

Another door panel fixed with a stainless trim screw. Thank you!
'03 EuroVan Weekender
MateoH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken? Reply with quote

Anybody have a u tube video or suggestions on replacing the rubber molding on side sliding door for a 2002 EUROVAN MV? Should I cut it in 1/2 so I get it around door slider brackets or do I have to to remove the sliding door?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken? Reply with quote

I wouldn't cut the rubber molding. I would just open the slider at least half way, set the door on a jack stand, then remove the 2(3?) large phillips screws on the arm of the lower roller bracket. Then you can pass the molding through. The lower roller bracket arm should be dirty enough to realign it back to where it was.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken? Reply with quote

Thanks for this thread. I just bought a 2003 with this problem. Am gluing tabs back on,...and will do your mod for insurance. Thanks

Brian in Austin

Update:

I used E6000 adhesive which is a very viscous solvent based adhesive that I have successfully glued numerous things with in auto restoration over the years. I Let it cure for about 5 hours, gave it a light tug and it came right off so, will go to the trim screw solution
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken? Reply with quote

Here's how I fixed it without the trim screw fix.

All Fixed! I pulled the interior panel, all but 2 clips had come unglued. I used a razor knife and chisel to remove old glue,....leaving the outside edges on each glue blob for position reference. I cleaned all the black plastic clip bases with adhesive remover then used E6000 adhesive available from Walmart, Advance Auto parts, Loews, Home Depot etc. All the clip mounts are rock solid. Panel is back on, and lock is now working as it should, I did NOT need to do the trim screw mod.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken? Reply with quote

Double props. Saving T4s from being screwed everywhere.

Thanks for posting amd referencing the material list, too.
jmciii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken? Reply with quote

Hi, everyone. Does anyone know where this spring attaches in the sliding door lock? None of the photos in relevant threads here include this spring! So it’s not that essential or many ignore it like I am tempted to do. Confused

I had to remove this part in a hurry and failed to photograph it in original state. I am regretting that and there is no clear attachment point for this spring. Thank you in advance for any guidance.

-John
jmciii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Sliding Door - broken? Reply with quote

I got this sorted out. It attaches to the main rod below. I am not sure what it does but there we go.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: