Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

Quote:
n the real world I dynoed my 2175cc on a Mustang Dyno in Tucson, Az. 75 HP
Rich - either the exhaust or the intake is limiting your HP. We used to get 140 HP from a 1438 engine. Maybe try a less restrictive exhaust?
dub_crazee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

Rich Parker those are some pretty disappointing numbers you have there

My 2276 is a basic CB kit but swapped out the cam for something much milder so the power comes in much lower. This makes it ideal for a bus with low down torque. Also stock rockers and ali pushrods. My graph is at the flywheel but yeh….still well above 100hp at the wheels.

Also what are my calculations that mean nothing on the real World? I simply stated that if you have more than 100hp you’ll have more than enough for longer ratios

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
n the real world I dynoed my 2175cc on a Mustang Dyno in Tucson, Az. 75 HP
Rich - either the exhaust or the intake is limiting your HP. We used to get 140 HP from a 1438 engine. Maybe try a less restrictive exhaust?

That engine didn’t need anything. It was perfect, I was sad to se that one go and even sadder when I read it was grenaded. I will say that current 2275 is nicer tho.

dub_crazee wrote:
Rich Parker those are some pretty disappointing numbers you have there

My graph is at the flywheel but yeh….still well above 100hp at the wheels

Also what are my calculations that mean nothing on the real World?

I don’t think they are disappointing, they are real. Not done on a piece of paper and not at the fly wheel. This was on a Mustang Dyno, read up on them. They don’t call them the heart breakers for nothing.

Dyno numbers are like fish. Everyone caught the biggest fish and no one wants to admit they didn’t.

My real world comment was for the OP. He states he only wants real world facts, not opinions.

Here’s the thread and quotes from the thread about Mustang dynos.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647929&highlight=

Alstrup wrote:
richparker wrote:
Alstrup wrote:
Those Mustang dyno´s have a life of their own. Impossible to compare to anything, exept your previus pull with the other engine on the same dyno.

The operator called it the "heartbreaker." He said that he imputed the year, make and model of the vehicle and the dyno applies a drum break to simulate actual resistance. He also said that there was another type of dyno out there that would not measure actual engine weight and would produce 15-20% higher numbers. He felt the Mustang was the dyno that gave actual real world numbers.

I heard that one from every Mustang dyno owner I have met. The day that Mustang themselves reveal what formula they are calculating the power from will be a good day, because its not one of the obvius.
But like I wrote earlier, it is quite evident that your new engine makes good power compared to the old engine.

T

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

We built my 1776 for the bus specifically. It has a nice torque curve and pulls well from low rpms. It did 110hp in the bench when we tuned it. On the wheels it did above 100hp.

I find the 002 way under geared, and will look to modify this at a later stage. There's little doubt in my mind that the 1776 can handle a different R&P or longer gears if built for the application.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

Metz, what’s your elevation? I live at 8,000’ in the Rocky Mountains. A 1776 with an 002 would get swallowed climbing the mountain passes in Colorado. I can’t imagine how much slower one would be climbing up to 11,000’ with a taller R&P.

I guess if you live where there is no elevation gain and all you do is Highway driving a taller R&P would be ok. But, where I live you gotta have the torque to climb mountains. Shit, we had to cross 10 mountain passes on our last weekend trip.

Everyone has a different use for their bus. Mine is set up to perform in the mountain me while fully loaded.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

@richparker - I'm definitely not experiencing those figures and mountain passes, but neither is the OP seeing he's based in the UK Smile
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

You mentioned that you may be lowering the bus. If this is the case, plug some tire size configurations into a gearing calculator. My ‘69 is lowered a lot, so I can’t run anything larger than 195/60R15 in the rear without rubbing the top of the wheel tub. I have a 1776, and 3 rib with 4.57 R&P, and love the combo for this specific application. It pulls hills in the mountains better than a stock early bay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

Thanks again for the replies.

The real world experience I was looking for was about using a mild 1776 with a 6 rib or 3 rib with longer gearing, which was my original question...

I dont need to know about stroker engines as Im not planning on building one. Iv built and ran plenty of them in my VWs over the years... This one is staying relatively simple.

I live in the UK. I dont need anything capable of getting me up mountains. I said in my original message I was looking for better gearing for slightly improved motorway speeds. I honestly dont know where the "preconceived Porsche speeds" / 2276 etc stuff has come from?

metz wrote:

We built my 1776 for the bus specifically. It has a nice torque curve and pulls well from low rpms. It did 110hp in the bench when we tuned it. On the wheels it did above 100hp.

I find the 002 way under geared, and will look to modify this at a later stage. There's little doubt in my mind that the 1776 can handle a different R&P or longer gears if built for the application.

Thanks Metz. Thats perfect. What spec is the 1776 if you dont mind me asking?

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
You mentioned that you may be lowering the bus. If this is the case, plug some tire size configurations into a gearing calculator. My ‘69 is lowered a lot, so I can’t run anything larger than 195/60R15 in the rear without rubbing the top of the wheel tub. I have a 1776, and 3 rib with 4.57 R&P, and love the combo for this specific application. It pulls hills in the mountains better than a stock early bay.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you are running similar to what Im planning and are pleased with the performance Very Happy What spec is the 1776? Am I right in thinking that the 4.57 R&P would make it behave more like 6 rib gearing and the factory R&P was 4.86? Im not clued up on gearboxes, hence the original post Laughing

Im not decided about lowering it. I have been considering a Wilwood kit with vented rotors but they only work with 15" wheels. If I were to go for it then I would lower it but I would want to keep as much tyre in the rear as possible.

See more of our work here:
www.instagram.com/retrorestoration
www.facebook.com/retrorestos
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

mabbo wrote:
metz wrote:

Thanks Metz. Thats perfect. What spec is the 1776 if you dont mind me asking?

Cheers. Type1 with stock crankshaft and flywheel. Everything balanced and match ported. 9.6:1 compression.
- Panchito 044™ (40 x 35.5) 90.5/92 Bore
- Web Cam Type 1 Camshaft, Grind 118, 1.1 or 1.25 Rockers Prepped
- AA 90.5mm x 69-74mm Hypereutectic Machine-In Piston & Cylinder Set
- Rebuilt OEM Connecting Rods, 13/15/1600cc Type 1 Based Engines, Race
- Gene Berg DNCF 42
- Vintage Speed J-tubes and exhaust
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

Okay here is my personal experience with a 1776 and a custom geared transaxle. But first let me say this. VW offered more than two (2) ring and pinion ratios for the VW type II. only two have been discussed. I am here to speak of the third and often overlooked ratio 4.86 to 1.

I own a 1971 campmobile. I run a 1776cc motor with the original three rib 002 transaxle. I run the motor with the stock 34 pict3 carb a Bosch SVDA distributor with Pertronix ignition. And an Engle 100 cam. A fairly mild combo.

I built the tranaxle with a 4.86 ring and pinion driving stock ratios. a hardened key for 3+4 slider hub welded hubs for 3+4 gears. A steel shift ball and re-enforced shift bracket. All new bearings synchros gaskets and seals. along with a new welded cross shaft and nose cone bushings.

I have run this engine transaxle combo for 16 years.

It's nothing earth shattering. It gets you there for the most part with the flow of traffic. it's not a hill beater but is does go up them. But sometimes you need to down shift.
But the combo is very dependable and that was the goal all along, dependability.

The 4.86 ratio came in 74-75 buses with 1700 and early 1800cc motors that had the 5 rib late 002. it is designed for those motors. so a 1776 type 1 based motor is a good fit IMO.
Not a drag racer but an excellent cruiser! Smile
On a final note. A transaxle with a 4.57 to 1 ring and pinion is not a good fit for motors under 2000cc. Motors below that displacement have trouble pulling that gear and will run hotter due to the lower engine RPM that ratio induces.

Mi dos centavos. Cool

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:
Okay here is my personal experience with a 1776 and a custom geared transaxle. But first let me say this. VW offered more than two (2) ring and pinion ratios for the VW type II. only two have been discussed. I am here to speak of the third and often overlooked ratio 4.86 to 1.

I own a 1971 campmobile. I run a 1776cc motor with the original three rib 002 transaxle. I run the motor with the stock 34 pict3 carb a Bosch SVDA distributor with Pertronix ignition. And an Engle 100 cam. A fairly mild combo.

I built the tranaxle with a 4.86 ring and pinion driving stock ratios. a hardened key for 3+4 slider hub welded hubs for 3+4 gears. A steel shift ball and re-enforced shift bracket. All new bearings synchros gaskets and seals. along with a new welded cross shaft and nose cone bushings.

I have run this engine transaxle combo for 16 years.

It's nothing earth shattering. It gets you there for the most part with the flow of traffic. it's not a hill beater but is does go up them. But sometimes you need to down shift.
But the combo is very dependable and that was the goal all along, dependability.

The 4.86 ratio came in 74-75 buses with 1700 and early 1800cc motors that had the 5 rib late 002. it is designed for those motors. so a 1776 type 1 based motor is a good fit IMO.
On a final note. A transaxle with a 4.57 to 1 ring and pinion is not a good fit for motors under 2000cc. Motors below that displacement have trouble pulling that gear and will run hotter due to the lower engine RPM that ratio induces.

Mi dos centavos. Cool

sounds like a well thought out and executed combination.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:

On a final note. A transaxle with a 4.57 to 1 ring and pinion is not a good fit for motors under 2000cc. Motors below that displacement have trouble pulling that gear and will run hotter due to the lower engine RPM that ratio induces.]

I ran an 1800 rebuild with a mild cam upgrade for 250K miles with a 6 rib tranny and stock sized tires. The eventual failure was with the heads which had somewhere around 400K miles on them with nothing more than having the valve guides replaced and a minor rework of the valves and seats, I think it was all of $80 when it was done back in 1990.

I presently run a 4.86 final drive with a worn stock 1800 and 27x8.5r14 tires so I again am running about the same overall gearing and couldn't be happier.

Heat has never been a problem with either of these combos.
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

mabbo wrote:
VWsArent4Hippies wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you are running similar to what Im planning and are pleased with the performance Very Happy What spec is the 1776? Am I right in thinking that the 4.57 R&P would make it behave more like 6 rib gearing and the factory R&P was 4.86? Im not clued up on gearboxes, hence the original post Laughing

Nothing too crazy. Stock valves, with port work. C35 cam, 1.25 rockers, center mount 40IDF, VS sport exhaust
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

Anyone want to talk about the 1584cc single ports that do 65-70mph all day on the flats?

28hp, measured at the wheels.
Robbie

Last edited by airschooled on Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Anyone want to talk about the 1584cc single ports that do 65-70mph all day on the flats?

Anyone?

How many threads do you need for that?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

28hp, measured at the wheels.
Robbie

yep - had a 1971 1600 DP with 750,000 miles on it. Was a real trooper. Went back and forth across the USA so many times successfully. I'd live that life over many times over compared to BS we have today.
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
"Ideally was looking for real world experience of doing the same as what I had planned rather than just opinions."

"I understand its an old bus and cant be compared to a modern SUV but I loved how my old late bay with the 6 rib and 2 litre drove. Ideally Id like to get a little closer to that."

Okay, real world experience. In order to get what you want the following is what I did for a customer with deep pockets. His was a 1968 bus with stock engine and tranny. Here are pics of what it became. Apologies to all you guys that have seen this before.

2007cc engine with dual Dellortos
Engle 100 cam
Sidewinder exhaust

Hi Aeromech, is that the Little Tomato bus? Very Happy

Deep pockets aside, would you recommend 1776 or bigger for an Early Bay. As the original poster, I have to go through a transmission rebuild so I'm considering getting the freeway gear and increasing engine size (my engine is fried too)

Thank you

Nacho

Overlanding the USA
Camper special engine build
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

Hi there,
I have no idea what the little tomato bus is.

Basically I think you can just follow what VW did. Over several years they increased the HP of their engines while at the same time changing the transmissions to match. Seems like where they finished was with a 2000cc engine and a 091 six rib to push the bus. It’s important that the engine power match the gearbox or you’ll have trouble.

My bus is a 1971. My engine is an 1800cc built for low end torque but it’s balanced and can easily do 70mph
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Hi there,
I have no idea what the little tomato bus is.

Basically I think you can just follow what VW did. Over several years they increased the HP of their engines while at the same time changing the transmissions to match. Seems like where they finished was with a 2000cc engine and a 091 six rib to push the bus. It’s important that the engine power match the gearbox or you’ll have trouble.

My bus is a 1971. My engine is an 1800cc built for low end torque but it’s balanced and can easily do 70mph

Thank you for your quick response!

The tomato Bus is one from La Jolla, we made friends with the owners while roadtripping through

Do you think it would be a good idea to keep the transmission gearing stock and just go from 1600cc to something bigger?

Overlanding the USA
Camper special engine build
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

Karen and Eric? You met in Borrego Springs then broke down in SD. You stayed at their house?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: