Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A real Multivan--but not what you think.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: A real Multivan--but not what you think. Reply with quote

A fully dressed WBX on a furniture dolly fits with ease.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
silversync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: A real Multivan--but not what you think. Reply with quote

Yes, love the moving capacity.

pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: A real Multivan--but not what you think. Reply with quote

A friend of us moved halfway across the state and gifted us his 3-yr old grill with 3 propane tanks, several accessories, etc (he has a new permanently connected grill in his new place).

Our Syncro came to the rescue, amazed how easily everything fit! (not showing in this pic but I had everything tied together into some eye hooks).

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: A real Multivan--but not what you think. Reply with quote

my brothers van bringing home a mower

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: A real Multivan--but not what you think. Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
A friend of us moved halfway across the state and gifted us his 3-yr old grill with 3 propane tanks, several accessories, etc (he has a new permanently connected grill in his new place).

Our Syncro came to the rescue, amazed how easily everything fit! (not showing in this pic but I had everything tied together into some eye hooks).

Grills are one of those things one shouldn't buy at retail. Someone is always moving and the last thing they want to move is a dirty grill so it goes to the side of the road with a free sign. I've made an obsession collecting old Weber gas grills and replacing parts (grates, flavorize bars, burners, ignitors) to make a fine working grill. Last week I passed on an old Spirit 500 on the street because it needed too many parts. This stems from having bought a Weber grill in 1997 and still using it today (it's the vegetarian grill).

[/grillrant]

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: A real Multivan--but not what you think. Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
[/grillrant]

I first glanced that as:

#grilliant

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: A real Multivan--but not what you think. Reply with quote

From the most recent Sanchius and Tuna. Without your permission moving this to regenerate the thread. A super addition.

[/quote]

Mrs S loves her case clocks and the van handled this one easily. Yes, I know it's best to transport these vertically, but she comes from a long line of clocksmiths and supervised the careful disassembly of the internals and packing for moving.[/quote]
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A real Multivan--but not what you think. Reply with quote

Timely addiiton and the rules violation falls under the grandfather clause.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A real Multivan--but not what you think. Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
From the most recent Sanchius and Tuna. Without your permission moving this to regenerate the thread. A super addition.

Quote:

Wouldn't it be easier to just repair the dash clock?
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: A real Multivan--but not what you think. Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
It seems that the bulk of the T3 discussions on this site are biased towards Westys and campers.

FWIW, yours is one of my favorite busses.

And I'd camp the hell out of that too!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: A real Multivan--but not what you think. Reply with quote

Thank, Cap. The whole point of VW busses/vans is to have fun. When I had my boat
I used to tell people that 1/3rd of the reason I enjoyed it was sailing, 1/3rd was nestling down in a quiet harbor and having drinks with my friends, 1/3rd was inventing modifications and working up solutions to problems which didn't exist, 1/3rd was working on her to keep her looking nice, 1/3rd was to hang out in the boat yard having a beer with some other owners discussing our projects and dreams and another 1/3rd meeting new wonderful people who were also into boats. And I can say exactly the same thing about T3s. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to climb aboard and look forward to a drive without saying to my self, "What if I were to...................?". Some happen and thankfully some don't. Here is a pic during my suicide door exploration.

Waiting to hear for some who wonders how it's possible to end a sentence with three final marks.

Duncan Stay well and have fun.
P.S. Getting in and out was far easier with the sucide door.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: A real Multivan--but not what you think. Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Thank, Cap. The whole point of VW busses/vans is to have fun. When I had my boat
I used to tell people that 1/3rd of the reason I enjoyed it was sailing, 1/3rd was nestling down in a quiet harbor and having drinks with my friends, 1/3rd was inventing modifications and working up solutions to problems which didn't exist, 1/3rd was working on her to keep her looking nice, 1/3rd was to hang out in the boat yard having a beer with some other owners discussing our projects and dreams and another 1/3rd meeting new wonderful people who were also into boats. And I can say exactly the same thing about T3s. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to climb aboard and look forward to a drive without saying to my self, "What if I were to...................?". Some happen and thankfully some don't. Here is a pic during my suicide door exploration.

Waiting to hear for some who wonders how it's possible to end a sentence with three final marks.

Duncan Stay well and have fun.
P.S. Getting in and out was far easier with the sucide door.

Sailing is such a queer grouping. I literally have been asked at a club why I own a boat but don’t race it

I’ve found much better companions with the power boat crowd, who spend $300 on a weekend to be in the water. They love that even more than I.

That’s ketchy boat Duncan. ( I think. Can’t quite sight line the rudder post)
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A real Multivan--but not what you think. Reply with quote

Transferring two 2-packs of Red Cross medical cots from one shelter to another...

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A real Multivan--but not what you think. Reply with quote

I started this topic to celebrate the versatility of T3s. Either for what they can and have done as stock vehicles or what they can do beyond with modifications.

I offer this example. Another poster created the term of One Hour Duncanizing and although 98% of my changes takes a great deal more time than that, here is one that actually took under an hour.

I have a contractor friend, Chris, who lives about three miles away with a burgundy Carat. It's strictly for utility work. I'm going to show him djkeev's work car with its new storage floor. Chris could use that space profitably as he doesn't really need to get inside the back very often. Note how he secures wood to his roof rack. Claims he's never lost any lumber nor a clamp.
He left the jump seat in and has a piece of ply screwed to the top of its seat back to the top of the rear seat back. That's where all kinds of stuff goes including a ladder. He didn't want the AC, so cut all the wires and threw everything away. The left window motor didn't work so he cut all the wires to the door and put in a crank. The right doesn't work, but the motor does and he wants me to fix it. We are going to put a simple rocker switch in the spot where the AC controls went--I got those. When he came over to see how it would happen, I noticed his radio. Me--"Does it work?" Him, "No". So we decided that he then didn't need it and we could gain easy access to a ground back there for the window conversion.

I also decided without asking him that he didn't need this.

And so then the radio looked like this: That's his new window rocker within it.

The knob/pull design was given serious safety considerations and so the rope won over a brass bound knob. Besides we had the rope and not the brass bound knob. The piece of wood in it gets screwed over the empty AC control zone and the switch goes into the hole in the wood. He keeps pencils and other stuff in it.

Also, note the horn button on the dash to the left. His horn failed which I assumed was a bad collector ring under the steering wheel. That's where they normally fail. With the wheel off, no the ring was fine. Finally tracked down the wire from the horn to the collector ring as having no continuity. "Chris, that's no biggie. We can run another wire". "Yes", sez he, "but isn't that a pain and won't the collector eventually fail anyway? I just want a plain button on the dash." So that's what he got with a new wire. Works just fine. That whole operation including the diagnosis and surgery was a couple of hours. But the radio was far less time.

And in the process he also gained a drawer making his car more versatile for him. I've been trying to get him to rip off the dash top and get all that useable space underneath, but so far he has resisted. He's a good cabinet maker and so at the least he should whack out the divider between the radio and the AC control spot and make a larger drawer with the window switch to one side.

Duncan
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A real Multivan--but not what you think. Reply with quote

Well, I came up with a new Multivan use!

Dump truck!

I was digging some footings for porch posts, usually the home owner is desperate for dirt and has multiple places to put it.

NOT this job!

Make it disappear!

I rearranged my Van, cut open some garbage bags and started dumping it in!

This photo is about 1/2 way loaded……. What a great vehicle!

And……. This is why I do NOT want a Westy!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A real Multivan--but not what you think. Reply with quote

Oh I see multiple uses.

Well then, my van is a multidimensional transporter that carries me across a continuum of time, space, and emotion. Time can take forever lugging up a long interstate grade or pass in a blink cruising along. I sit behind the wheel and am usually almost instantly happier. I then travel through a tunnel of light and sound which usually takes me to places where I am doing the things that bring me joy.

To quote Doug Henning and The Cars, it’s magic.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A real Multivan--but not what you think. Reply with quote

It is magic!

If I have an errand to run …….. the Prius stays parked in the driveway and the gas guzzler goes for a ride!

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: A real Multivan--but not what you think. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Make it disappear!

i could use some dirt.

BiWerks Design, LLC
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: A real Multivan--but not what you think. Reply with quote

Dave when I saw your pic of dirt in your van it reminded me of my recent lego haul.
This is what I am currently working on. There was almost a full cubic yard of the stuff pulled from the barn when my kids had stored it. Now it's time to pass it on to the 3 year old grand son and so the bucket has been sorted and is about to be de mouse pooped with serious soap and water.

And at the same time.

Raining here at 57º and a white Christmas is not looking good.

Duncan
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A real Multivan--but not what you think. Reply with quote

Old LEGO's?

Kids won't know what to do with them!

Legi's today are kits with instructions.

You build an airplane, the Statue of Liberty, or whatever, there is no imagination involved.

You don't create an airplane, you follow the directions.
No freelance allowed!

Once built you clear coat them and you have a model…….. YAWN!

When I was young I had wooden "bricks". Red and yellow. They were maybe 1”x 1.5” x 3/8” or so.
They didn't snap together but did have alignment pins.

Then came bristle blocks…… crap plastic…… then Legos were my kids toys,
I remember stepping barefoot on those suckers in the dark!

I also had……. And still have in the original metal box…… an erector set!
Winches, nuts, bolts, I beams, electric motors! Build "it" ….. whatever it is, just design and create.
Such a WONDERFUL toy!

Anyway………… enjoy washing mouse poop.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: