Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

andrigs fan
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

94touring wrote:
Lowering the rpms would then mean it would cool more efficiently, but the hill climb started at 3100 rpms and ended around 3000 rpms. The stock fan still out performing the Andrig fan. Stock pulley and fan setup has a max efficiency around 3800 rpms if I'm not mistaken.

I was wondering what is your alt pulley to crankshaft pulley ratio (eg how many turns does the alternator pulley make when turning the crankshaft pulley one complete revolutions?).

The reason I ask is I think Andrig mentioned in his video some 1.7:1 ratio that he was basing his calculations on. With pulley size differences and the higher or lower the belt rides in the pulley grooves impact this ratio. I ran a 7" crankshaft pulley with German alt pulley with a smaller belt down low in the upper pulley and has a 2.5:1 alt pulley to crankshaft pulley ratio. Right now I am running a 6 3/4" crankshaft pulley and my ratio is just shy of 2:1.

There is an old thread somewhere in which Eric Allred suggestion running a small clear vinyl tube from the engine compartment to your drivers seat. Secure one end to the fan shroud and in the passenger compartment put the other into a small water bottle. If at any time the water gets sucked up the tube from the bottle then you need more air in the engine compartment. I fought overheating problems with the top down on the highway for years in the Thing until I propped the bottom of the decklid since the dual carbs were taking the air away from the fan.
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
94touring wrote:
Lowering the rpms would then mean it would cool more efficiently, but the hill climb started at 3100 rpms and ended around 3000 rpms. The stock fan still out performing the Andrig fan. Stock pulley and fan setup has a max efficiency around 3800 rpms if I'm not mistaken.

I was wondering what is your alt pulley to crankshaft pulley ratio (eg how many turns does the alternator pulley make when turning the crankshaft pulley one complete revolutions?).

The reason I ask is I think Andrig mentioned in his video some 1.7:1 ratio that he was basing his calculations on. With pulley size differences and the higher or lower the belt rides in the pulley grooves impact this ratio. I ran a 7" crankshaft pulley with German alt pulley with a smaller belt down low in the upper pulley and has a 2.5:1 alt pulley to crankshaft pulley ratio. Right now I am running a 6 3/4" crankshaft pulley and my ratio is just shy of 2:1.

There is an old thread somewhere in which Eric Allred suggestion running a small clear vinyl tube from the engine compartment to your drivers seat. Secure one end to the fan shroud and in the passenger compartment put the other into a small water bottle. If at any time the water gets sucked up the tube from the bottle then you need more air in the engine compartment. I fought overheating problems with the top down on the highway for years in the Thing until I propped the bottom of the decklid since the dual carbs were taking the air away from the fan.

Here's a good read. Fans keep blowing more air but the belt is the limiting factor due to slippage over 4k rpms. http://www.offroadvw.net/tech/wes/fan.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

So I've had the fan on for a few weeks. My results differ from 94touring. First impressions:

- More fan noise than before. Slight whine, similar to straight cuts, not annoying. sounds cool.

- Engine revs quicker. Feels like there's less parasitic loss. The butt-dyno definitely shows an increase in performance

I installed the fan at the same time I swapped trans. Went from a 4.375 R&P to a 3.88 R&P.

I don't have temp gauges but since this is a newish engine, I do monitor temps with an infrared gun when pulling into the garage after most drives. Sump temps remained at 185-195*F depending on ambient temps. Head temps remained at 275ish.

So, I did not experience an increase nor notable decrease in temps (then again high temps have never been an issue with this engine) but the increase in performance and the lower risk of catastrophic damage from a failed metal fan is more than worth it for me. Therefore, I would buy the fan again.

About the engine:
2007cc
Mahle 90.5mm pistons
AA CW 78mm crank
5.4" rods
W120 cam / CB lightweight lifters
1.25 rockers
Brothers ported heads (40x35, dual springs, ti retainers)
1-1/2" sideflow with race bullets
9.2 compression, 0.48" deck
dial IDF 44s with 36mm vents

Sees 6300 RPM regularly.
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

GMendoza wrote:
So I've had the fan on for a few weeks. My results differ from 94touring. First impressions:

- More fan noise than before. Slight whine, similar to straight cuts, not annoying. sounds cool.

- Engine revs quicker. Feels like there's less parasitic loss. The butt-dyno definitely shows an increase in performance

I installed the fan at the same time I swapped trans. Went from a 4.375 R&P to a 3.88 R&P.

I don't have temp gauges but since this is a newish engine, I do monitor temps with an infrared gun when pulling into the garage after most drives. Sump temps remained at 185-195*F depending on ambient temps. Head temps remained at 275ish.

So, I did not experience an increase nor notable decrease in temps (then again high temps have never been an issue with this engine) but the increase in performance and the lower risk of catastrophic damage from a failed metal fan is more than worth it for me. Therefore, I would buy the fan again.

About the engine:
2007cc
Mahle 90.5mm pistons
AA CW 78mm crank
5.4" rods
W120 cam / CB lightweight lifters
1.25 rockers
Brothers ported heads (40x35, dual springs, ti retainers)
1-1/2" sideflow with race bullets
9.2 compression, 0.48" deck
dial IDF 44s with 36mm vents

Sees 6300 RPM regularly.

I didn't see an increase in temps when pulling in and out of my shop either, it was under load at highway speeds that the temps went up. Being in a bug may play a difference there. I didn't feel any seat of the pants performance in the bus either but I'd assume there are some gains.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

94touring wrote:

I didn't see an increase in temps when pulling in and out of my shop either, it was under load at highway speeds that the temps went up. Being in a bug may play a difference there. I didn't feel any seat of the pants performance in the bus either but I'd assume there are some gains.

Hmm. Interesting. So normal temps around town but temp increase under load? What RPM do you run at 60mph and 70mph? Lastly, what does Andrig have to say about your experience?
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

Light load and low speeds (below 45mph) I didn't notice a notable difference. Doing 3600 rpms at 70mph it wasn't sustainable. In fact I intended to drive the bus the 30 minute drive on the highway from my shop to my house but turned around and parked it due to the temperatures rising. The following day put the stock fan on and did the same road test. The back roads I do other car tuning and testing on where I'm doing speeds of 45-60 for a portion of the driving along gently rolling hills indicated it was struggling to maintain temperatures I'd see with the stock welded fan. But I have no numbers for a direct comparison and just going by what my CHT gauge normally reads for that portion of road. The hill climb portion of my test was along that section at 3000 rpms, also under performing the stock fan. I never reached out to Andrig, assumed he reads the threads related to his fan. I did see on the Facebook page a fan that exploded. If I were anyone using the fan I'd be sure to have a sensor under a plug to see what it's really doing. Maybe I got unlucky and it doesn't like my bus, but I can't use the fan as it is. Might be buying a bug in the near future and I'll hang on to the fan to perhaps give it some comparison test on it.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

The whine on the fan I ran I would compare to running straight cut cam gears as well.
dan97019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I just wanted to share my experience so far with the fan. I got it about a month ago while the car, 63 bug doghouse and stock cooler, was down with another issue. Within a couple days I installed it on the car (engine in) but did not get the car on the road until yesterday.

First I will mention that Andrig has an updated fan hub assembly that he will be sending to everyone that bought a fan for free and replace any fans that suffered a damaged mounting hub

first observation after unpacking the fan kit was that the supplied washer seems awful thin, but I used it as instructed anyway, once I had the fan installed I checked by hand to be sure it was tight and noticed that without using a lot of force I could twist the fan back and forth on the hub to the limits of the keyed hole. I removed the fan and saw that the washer had deformed basically by being pushed into the hole by the nut and curling up on the edges and in turn allowed the nut to bottom out and not tighten properly, so I found a thicker washer pretty close to the same diameter of the opening in the center of the fan used it and so far anyway that solved the problem.

I spent a few hours running around town today found the 6K rev limiter several times and nothing came loose or flew off.

Noise, it is definitely louder, even at idle, which bothered me at first but then I started getting used to it plus I have a good stereo.

I didn't notice any performance gains other then maybe the motor spins up a little faster when its not under load, I did notice that I no longer feel the slight vibration that I used to feel above around 5500 rpm its now very smooth, I attribute this to the fact that the fan I've been using for the last 14 or so years had a very slight wobble to it. I believe its an aftermarket fan.

As far as cooling goes I did not notice anything significant there but I don't have a head temp gauge I can only go by oil temp and that's with a deep fryer thermometer (sorry) but the last leg of my trip today was about 45 minutes non stop through town, its about 80 degrees today, when I got home my oil temp was around 215-220 which is about where I would have expected it to be, the oil pressure throughout the trip was also where I expected it to be.

Also I do have the stock heater system and I did not notice a substantial change in cabin airflow one way or the other.

Anyway I just wanted to share the information so there it is.

I guess I should add the engine specs.

1835 ,
engle 120,
1.25 rockers
DRD heads
Empi idf 40's
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
I have another possible point of concern. I recommend the manufacturer check the compatibility of the fan material with chemicals it may come in contact with. One example -- you don't use Loctite thread locker on polycarbonate. Loctite touching polycarbonate equals cracks.

I have certainly checked the chemical compatibility, and loctite will not effect the material of the fan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

Hi, everyone, this is Andrig from Andrig's Aircooled Technology.

I haven't had the time to read through this entire thread, as it is very long now, but I felt I should chime in with some information.

First, let me address the cracking issue. I think someone said one of the fans "Blew Up", but that's not what really happened. I have communicated to every customer via e-mail about four times now, and if you haven't received those, then it probably got caught in your SPAM filter.

I had actually designed my own mounting system from the beginning, but to keep the price lower I decided to go with the current steel hub, to make things easier. The fan that "blew up", essentially suffered a crack in that hub area in the sharp corner. In my failure analysis I determined that this is caused by a couple of factors. First, is the thickness of the fan in this area relative to the height of the steel hub. I cannot control the height tolerance of the steel hub, and only the thickness of the fan in that area. As people who are familiar with injection molding will now, the material shrinks once it comes out of the mold, and depending on the geometry it can vary across the part quite a bit. It turns out that the thickness after shrinking is always greater than the height of the steel hub (with the exception of one particular problematic steel hub on the market), but it's greater by too much. It averages around .5 mm greater thickness. What this caused, is the washer to deform when torqued as the nut does not span the entire width of that opening, only the washer. So, as the washer deforms into that area, it creates outward pressure, and not just clamping pressure, so it puts stress on those corners causing the possible cracks. Once there is a crack there, it will slowly propagate until failure (as anyone that has a cracked windshield will know). And that brings the second factor into place, which is the nut itself. Even with the thickness generally being too much, if I had used a flanged nut, this would have mitigated this issue, because the flanged nut spans the entire distance across that opening, and won't allow the washer to deform and push down into the opening.

Having said that, since I cannot control the tolerances on the OEM and aftermarket steel hubs, and at least one aftermarket hub actually is too tall in it's height, I decided to really make the mounting bullet proof was to dust off my design for my own hub. That way, I can control the tolerances, but add additional safety measures in the design, which I have done. You can see the new mounting solution, with the new steel hub on my Facebook page here:

https://fb.watch/7ZQh44bpIL/

or on Youtube here:

https://youtu.be/0nZZBaSCJg4

Everyone that has purchased a fan will get the new mounting solution for free, and I'm scheduled to get them on October 1st, as long as there are no delays in production or shipping.

All purchases after this will come out of the box with the new flanged nut and new mounting hub, so it will now be a complete kit with everything you need in the box (other than the loctite), and you won't have to reuse any old parts.

On the issues of cooling itself. The direct feedback I have received from customers has been positive, although I'm not authorized to share their names, I think they would be comfortable with me generally sharing their experiences. Generally, it has been good with customers reporting enhanced cooling, some saying a drop of cylinder head temps and some say better performance. I don't advertise that you'll get better performance for a variety of reasons, but it is possible. Like I said in my original launch video, if a fan moves more air, it will use more hp, as the movement of air is the primary driver, once the fan is spun up to speed.

Now, my fan, in clear air moves between jaround 50% more air than the OEM fan does. In terms of in the shroud with the entire cooling system, my measurements using a manometer and pitot tube show the 7% to 8% increase in cooling air through the entire cooling system. Why such a lower number than in clear air?

Well, that's a somewhat complicated topic, but to keep things simple, essentially a backward inclined blade squirrel cage fan is more efficient than a straight radial blade centrifugal fan. The fan shroud opening and the OEM fan were designed together as a unit, and the opening of the fan shroud can only support so much air flow. With a straight radial blade fan design, that opening is further restricted by the design of the fan itself, since the very center of the fan is no longer a place where air can enter. This essentially reduces the area in which air can enter the shroud. I can't change the shroud, so what I had to do was make that area as small as possible, My early prototypes actually moved less air, and by quite a bit because of this issue. So, why go to a slightly less efficient fan design. Well, you cannot make a one piece fan in a squirrel cage design, and use modern materials via injection molding, without making it in at least two pieces, and then using a welding technique like sonic welding to put the two pieces together. The weld seam would also be too weak, and the fan would likely fly apart at high RPM. Also, you simply cannot fit a wider squirrel cage fan in the shroud, only a straight radial blade design can have a larger blade. So, that leads me to address the post where someone was getting worse cooling performance.

From the beginning I have been concerned about the performance in early model cars. When VW introduced the Doghouse cooling system in '71, they also increased the ventilation area in the decklids of the Beetle and Karmann Ghia because the fan went from a 28 mm width to a 34 mm width to provide increased cooling air (my blade design is around 39 mm tall). I believe the '71 bus also has an increase in the ventilation. So, early model cars, pre '71, don't really have the necessary ventilation needed for improved cooling even with the Doghouse cooling system and OEM fan. You do have to increase that in order to realize the full potential of even the stock OEM wider fan. I probably should have addressed this in my initial launch, but thought that people should really understand this already.

So, the results of that testing with the bus, may be explained by the two factors, of the slight decrease in my fans efficiency, even though it does move more air through the cooling system, along with the restriction of the air into the engine compartment. It may be that the OEM fan does a better job with its slightly higher efficiency of overcoming the air restriction into the engine compartment. This is my hypothesis at the moment, and without the ability to put some measurement equipment in the actual vehicle, I cannot be 100% sure about this.

I certainly would encourage anyone that has the fan on a pre '71 vehicle to enhance their ventilation into the engine compartment. There are ways to do this, some more expensive and elaborate than others, but here are some ideas.

You can look at the convertible decklid for a Beetle, as they always have extra vents, because the convertibles didn't have the vents above the decklid.

You can add vents in the decklid (or the side of the bus), either via metal work, or by purchasing a fiberglass decklid and adding vents to them.

On my '66 Ghia I actually created a couple of vented panels, and will cut holes in the inner fender wells, inside the engine compartment, and I have guards behind that to prevent the tires from throwing water and debris into the engine compartment, so I didn't have to cut up the decklid, and it essentially becomes a hidden modification.

Obviously, for a dune buggie or a baja bug, this issue won't be present.

I know this is a long post, but I thought it best to try and address the major issues brought up in this thread. Engineering a product like this requires balancing a set of compromises to achieve a certain goal. The goal was to improve the cooling system as much as possible at the least possible cost, all within the constraints of the cooling shroud and tin that already exist. The weight reduction helps to offset the cost of the increased air movement, and the one piece design eliminates the fan flying apart issue, which does still happen even with welded fans at times. Overall, I believe the product has good value as long as you have good ventilation into your engine compartment, and soon the issue with cracks causing failures will be fixed for good. I am also developing an entirely new cooling system, where I can change the constraints all I want, and come up with something that I hope will be a step change better than anything else on the market.

Thanks to everyone that has given this new product a chance, as many customers have had good success.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

i have not purchased a fan so i have no feedback or opinion on it. but i do have to say that in this day & age its nice to see someone handle feedback & opinions , especially the negative , without taking things personal and flying off the handle.
i can appreciate the work thats gone into design & construction but Andrig's attitude towards all this really what stands out to me
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
i have not purchased a fan so i have no feedback or opinion on it. but i do have to say that in this day & age its nice to see someone handle feedback & opinions , especially the negative , without taking things personal and flying off the handle.
i can appreciate the work thats gone into design & construction but Andrig's attitude towards all this really what stands out to me

I appreciate the comment. It means a lot to me personally. Thank you.

One thing that I know is there are a lot of products that come and go, and promise a lot without delivering, that's for sure.

I'm confident that my measurements are very solid, and I went through a lot of testing. Definitely made a mistake on the mounting situation, so we live and we learn Wink

Thanks again.
dan97019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

My post wasn't intended to be negative but if it seemed that way I apologize. It was just my observations after installing it and driving the car with it one time. Actually I'm thinking that since the weather has cooled off if there are any cooling advantages to the new fan I probably won't know until next summer. Otherwise I can say at this time that there are no disadvantages to it, the fact that its lighter and runs smoother than my original fan are both good reasons for me to run it and that's what I intend to do.

I didn't think about the airflow restrictions of the early engine compartments but I do run my version of a vert decklid in which I installed the vents from a 70 decklid into the 63 decklid so it does have some airflow advantages over stock but still not as much as the later decklids with the full row of vents and bigger engine compartments. I also do run a velocity ring

Last edited by dan97019 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

dan97019 wrote:
My post wasn't intended to be negative but if it seemed that way I apologize. It was just my observations after installing it and driving the car with it one time. Actually I'm thinking that since the weather has cooled off if there are any cooling advantages to the new fan I probably won't know until next summer. Otherwise I can say at this time that there are no disadvantages to it, the fact that its lighter and runs smoother than my original fan are both good reasons for me to run it and that's what I intend to do.

I didn't think about the airflow restrictions of the early engine compartments but I do run my version of a vert decklid in which I installed the vents from a 70 decklid into the 63 decklid so it does have some airflow advantages over stock but still not as much as the later decklids with the full row of vents and bigger engine compartments.

It's all good. No need to apologize at all. I want to hear what people's experience is, regardless of the specific results.

I knew going into this that the results would vary based on the specific applications. I have heard good results from quite a few customers, so I know it works for some very well.

At some point, it might become clearer why some have good results and why others haven't had such good results.

Thanks.
GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

Here's a vid of a 1st -3rd gear pull with Andrigs fan. The whine is the fan, I don't have straight-cuts. 60mph is 6400 RPM in 2nd, 75mph is 5000 RPM in 3rd. Speedo is a little slow.

Link
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

That doesn't sound bad, to me! Oh and I have straight cut in my 2180.

The real question is. Where did you find that speedo/tach combo? Do you have a link?
That has to be one of the coolest things I have seen here.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

i think isp sells and or makes them. they have several combos
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

The real question is. Where did you find that speedo/tach combo? Do you have a link?

Thanks. Yes, its ISP
https://vwispwest.com/vintage-series-speedometer-tach-combo-gauge-mph-211018050/
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

Sounds good to me 😂
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

GMendoza wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

Thanks. Yes, its ISP
https://vwispwest.com/vintage-series-speedometer-tach-combo-gauge-mph-211018050/

Awesome! Thank you Chickensoup and GMendoza.
They're not cheap. But very cool!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 18

Jump to: