Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Child in Typ3 - Safety seat and belts
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralfik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Child in Typ3 - Safety seat and belts Reply with quote

Hello!
As I’m currently renovate the rear trunk metal sheets and floorpans, this may be a good moment to think about installation of isofix holders for my kid’s safety seat. I also wonder how to deal with ininertial seat belts.

Do you have any advises how to handle it?

Rafal
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Child in Typ3 - Safety seat and belts Reply with quote

Depending in what country you are in. You better have that kind of work signed off by the MOT / TUV engineer or automobile safety department.

Since that part will have to hold up in case of an accident it has to be done correctly. That is why car manufacture do a lot of testing and reinforcement in those areas.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Child in Typ3 - Safety seat and belts Reply with quote

Most of us post our Location in our signature, so we can better advise each other.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Child in Typ3 - Safety seat and belts Reply with quote

Ralfik wrote:
Hello!
As I’m currently renovate the rear trunk metal sheets and floorpans, this may be a good moment to think about installation of isofix holders for my kid’s safety seat. I also wonder how to deal with ininertial seat belts.

Rafal

Depending on the child's age, it will most likely be in the rear seat, and using a rear facing car seat. I've never heard of isofix seat holders before (must be too old), but most child seats are convertible to using seat belts, as they were used in older cars thru the early 2000's. Remember not everyone can afford a new car.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Child in Typ3 - Safety seat and belts Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Ralfik wrote:
Hello!

Rafal

Depending on the child's age, it will most likely be in the rear seat, and using a rear-facing car seat. I've never heard of isofix seat holders before (must be too old), but most child seats are convertible to using seat belts, as they were used in older cars thru the early 2000's. Remember not everyone can afford a new car.

ISOFIX is more commonly known in the US as "LATCH" - They're anchoring points in a vehicle that are a universal standard for attaching child restraints on seats for kids up to about 70# (33kg). They weren't standard on vehicles in the US until 2002.

There are aftermarket kits for ISOFIX but none of them will easily fit a Type 3 and I imagine they'd be tough to get through a safety inspection.

I would like to install 3 point seat belts in the rear seat of my car but the design of the car isn't great for their application so it's taking a lot of trial and error to figure out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Child in Typ3 - Safety seat and belts Reply with quote

He is in Poland I believe ?
Depends on the year of your car. My 1970 Fastback had mounting bolts for lap sash belts for the rear seat in both the C pillars and below the seat base. For child seats, I also bolted the correct fittings through the metal of the rear parcel shelf, with reinforcement underneath.
As already said, rules depend on your country, so best to check with local requirements.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Child in Typ3 - Safety seat and belts Reply with quote

You can always go old school

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Child in Typ3 - Safety seat and belts Reply with quote

I highly doubt any kid tethered to the back seat with one of those survived a collision.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Child in Typ3 - Safety seat and belts Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
I highly doubt any kid tethered to the back seat with one of those survived a collision.

Yeah, its kind of frightening, isn't it !! Shocked But better than nothing at all, perhaps ???
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Child in Typ3 - Safety seat and belts Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

Yeah, its kind of frightening, isn't it !! Shocked But better than nothing at all, perhaps ???

When I was 5 years old, I was in the front seat of a car my mother borrowed - she rolled the car while exiting a highway - I was standing on the front seat when the car rolled - I somehow instinctively put my hands on the headliner and held myself in place - I had a scraped up stomach from hitting the glove box knob several times. The car rolled three times before landing right side up. Several years later - she said she was driving too fast, hit some sand, overcorrected and the car rolled.

If I'd been strapped into the seat with that tether - I probably would have been whipped around like one of these:

JJM86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Child in Typ3 - Safety seat and belts Reply with quote

I've used both an infant car seat with the base that stays in the car as well as a toddler "convertible" seat that works rear facing or forward facing in my '71 Squareback. I found that the receptacles on the stock lap belts in my car were too long to tighten down properly on either seat, so I installed my own version of the LATCH/ISOFIX system to use the builtin straps on the seats.

Basically, I used plates from some 3-point retractable belts that I got for the front seats along with some parts from old belts to position two "loops" right at the right spot in the middle of the back seat to hook the car seat straps to. This system is bolted directly to the factory seat belt mount points and seems pretty damn sturdy. I can also get the car seat strapped in there correctly.

Currently, the seat is installed in the rear-facing position, so I'm not using the top anchor in the same way as a forward facing seat. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it but will probably figure up some anchor point in the rear cargo area to use.

Photos of my installation below.
Seat in place. I'm using the rear strap hooked onto the front seatbelt receptacle just to keep the seet from flopping too much.

Hooks for the LATCH belt.

View of the hooks with the seat bottom up.

Clsoer view of the mounts I put together. Use grade 8 or stronger hardware (12 in metric?)

And on 3-point retractable belts in general- I bought some for use in the front and would advise against getting low cost ones. In short, the ones I bought (for like $130?) broke and I decided they were a poor design that wouldn't be very safe after I investigated the failure. Stock belts are back in until I find something better from a junkyard car or something.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Child in Typ3 - Safety seat and belts Reply with quote

That's a decent solution with off the shelf parts.

Thanks for sharing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: