Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

If you have been reading along with this thread you will know i was not happy with the heater surrounds on the WW German Square Weave carpet front kick panels. The OG are heat seamed. WW are sewn. The only place that heat seams i have found is Newton Commercial in the UK but i already bough WW so...

Been searching for months for some ratty, used OG carpet that still had these surrounds. 64-67 i think. 61 & earlier were aluminum and after 67 i do not know. I only had one of my originals. They always tear or rot off and are tossed.

There is an all original Sea Blue 64 in New York who's owner Doug happened to have saved the old carpet. Doug was happy to help me with my quest and send me Bella's old carpet surrounds.

Thank you Doug for the continued help with data from your car to help me with mine!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Some hot water and patience and i was able to open the OG heat seams and extract the old carpet.

Next to do surgery on my brand new WW carpet set. Gulp. Remove the sewn in heater surround and open up the hole to the right side. The WW is quite a bit smaller.

Some test fitting and i realize since i am gluing these in i need to accommodate the carpet pile that would have been melted into the heat seam. Pull out my hair trimmer and start shaving.

After some test fitting and adjusting i was very pleased with the results. I also had to take a Dremil to the back side of the old surround the sand off the excess melted carpet so i did not have fuzz around the edge.

Next will be to glue them in. First have to come up with a press of some sort to keep things down as the glue dries.

Stoked at the progress.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
If you have been reading along with this thread you will know i was not happy with the heater surrounds on the WW German Square Weave carpet front kick panels. The OG are heat seamed. WW are sewn. The only place that heat seams i have found is Newton Commercial in the UK but i already bough WW so...

Been searching for months for some ratty, used OG carpet that still had these surrounds. 64-67 i think. 61 & earlier were aluminum and after 67 i do not know. I only had one of my originals. They always tear or rot off and are tossed.

There is an all original Sea Blue 64 in New York who's owner Doug happened to have saved the old carpet. Doug was happy to help me with my quest and send me Bella's old carpet surrounds.

Thank you Doug for the continued help with data from your car to help me with mine!

Some hot water and patience and i was able to open the OG heat seams and extract the old carpet.

Next to do surgery on my brand new WW carpet set. Gulp. Remove the sewn in heater surround and open up the hole to the right side. The WW is quite a bit smaller.

Some test fitting and i realize since i am gluing these in i need to accommodate the carpet pile that would have been melted into the heat seam. Pull out my hair trimmer and start shaving.

After some test fitting and adjusting i was very pleased with the results. I also had to take a Dremil to the back side of the old surround the sand off the excess melted carpet so i did not have fuzz around the edge.

Next will be to glue them in. First have to come up with a press of some sort to keep things down as the glue dries.

Stoked at the progress.

Doug's in Dayton Ohio I think. He's got a beautiful '64!

Keep up the insane work. Your restoration will keep me focused on the minute details when I begin the resto on my '67 vert.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Headliner... Details later.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Wow! The headliner looks great along with the sunroof pieces! Amazing work
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Man I sure wish WW would just do it factory correct in the first place…
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

House wrote:

Man I sure wish WW would just do it factory correct in the first place…

You and me both...

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Wow! The headliner looks great along with the sunroof pieces! Amazing work

Thank you

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

So i left off with the headliner stalled and having torn both rear corners where it hooked above the rear window. Per Chris Vallone i was working from front to rear and getting nowhere. With the repair in place i switch from rear to front in hopes that the headliner area which has no steel bows would stretch more. I waited for a 90 degree day and went for it.

The repair held. The heat helped. Moving from rear to front helped with more room to work but the darn headliner would not go in. I was pushing with all i have and there was no way it would fit. I honestly think the pattern was 1/2" too short. So.... I gambled.

I put a slice in the headliner area and only after that could i get things to work. Even with this it was WAY too tight IMO but it was in... If this were a non-sunroof i just do not think it would have gone in.

Now to work the sides and the new wrinkles. Pretty easy at this point working side to side. The special folds at the B pillar and front window were not too hard. Wrinkles came out pretty easy.

Then the sunroof area. ACME has a pattern on the rear side in blue chalk you cut out so this was easy. Stretch things around was easy. You have to try to keep enough material in the front corners. You see about 1/4" of the metal in that area once the plastic cable guides are installed. I messed this area up and had to do a small patch cover. (Chris's hard sunroof video shows this repair and much more)

There is a foam pad that needs to be installed at the front of the opening. Don't forget it. You also have to install the hand crank mechanism BEFORE you wrap the front edge of the headliner. I forgot this and had to open that part back up.

After about 4 hours it was done. Pleased with my work for being my first ever Vinyl headliner.

Test fitting the sunroof rails and plastic caps.

So... Would i do one again??? Yes i would. Not nearly as hard as i imagined it would be. Not a walk in the park but not as hard. Total time with research probably 30 hours. Not going to make any money doing this.

Do i have wrinkles? Yes i do.
- Rear window. Mistakes with glue in the wrong places. Less is better.
- B pillars. The bottom is hard. Not happy here but...
- Both solid area on the sides of the sunroof openings. This is how i am certain my pattern was a bit too small. (visible in my pictures)
- Slightly overstretched seams. Again my pattern...

My take-away's.
- Research...
- Heat is your friend. A hot day is better than a cold day.
- Even if you do not have pop-out window pinch welt helped alot. Better than binder clips although i used them too.
- Use WD-40 right away on overspray to remove glue from your paint.
- 3M 90 worked great but gets soft in the sun.
- Padding is tricky. Chris does a good job with where it should go.

Glad i am done with that.

Moved onto more glass work. Bought the two stage xNet kit to tackle scratches in my glass. Worked really well. Very pleased with the front and rear windows. Unsure i can salvage my door glass. Vent wings i have WW so no logo. May replace glass with OG or re-pop. Pop-outs i have not looked at yet but should clean up nice.

I need to turn my attention back to my engine again. My case is a 62 date code. No early 64 cases in So. Cal that i can find. Right now i think i am going to stick with the 62 case until something pops up.

It needs to be align bored. I have access to mills and lathes. Does anyone rent Align bore rods? Anyone in So. Cal have one? Seems like something i would like to try my hand at but at $700 i am not going to buy one.

anyways...

Parts i am looking for:
offtherailz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Not sure if I’ve said this to you, but thank you. Thank you for detailing your write up so well. All builds are a pleasure to watch, but I love it when people like yourself take the extra time to write about, I’m very guilty of not doing it, so I’ll thank you again and try harder. Top work.

Cuppa tea man, living in a latte world.

1973 1303, one previous owner, my Dad
1975 1303, Fourth owner, mum 1975 to 2014, me from 2017
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711269&highlight=
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=740901
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

That headliner is looking SHARP! Nice job.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

WW rocks. They stand behind their product. Went up there Friday to pick up wing window glass to frame rubber. (More on that later) Brought along my repop vent wing chrome vertical bars. The ones last month i posted about poor finish. They agree'd on the finish and took them back. No fuss...

While i was there we got to talking about the German Square weave carpet kickpanel heater surrounds. He asks me "Do you have the old or new ones?"

New ones???

They have gone and reproduced the correct heater surround now. Saw a sample. No picture but very nice! Mine is below.

Random weekend working on many things.

Rear window is installed. Not too bad. Window chrome went on OK and window installed the first time. Silicon spray saves the day. The main trouble was the headliner. The pull cord pulls it out. I think if i ever do this again i will trim the headliner material flush to the edge of the window frame the rubber flips over. Tedious but I was able to fix it all.

Sunroof. Not happy with rail color so i re-painted the rails with WW Silver Beige. L466. Took my finger guard up there to match the color. They confirmed the color and that my guard is a early 64 only one. Very hard to find. Cool when someone geeks out over a part you have. Started to re-finish mine as the plastic is heavily deteriorated. All you can buy today is the later "figure 8" version. Even the handle and echelon are unique. The handle you can find. The echelon i 3D printed but recently found i could buy one in Europe.

Headliner. Finished the last side pieces. IT IS DONE! We will see what falls apart first...

Door Panels. The weekends big bummer. I bought TMI grey/white many months ago but never compared them to the original. They are WAY different. WAY WAY different. I will not be re-selling them. I pulled all my old covers out and started the process of restoration. Removed the covering from the backer board and clean, clean, clean. The backer board i will reproduce. Grandpa was a smoker... One of my driver panels is heavily faded/discolored. Any tips out there to restore this? Was thinking about peroxide and the sun in a large container. Been reading on other solutions too but most are aimed at restoring black plastic. Any tips???

Popout windows. Pulled my good set out and polished up everything. Then replaced the outer window rubber. Have never installed these before so still trying to figure out the order of operation.

Spoke to my body shop. We will work on re-fitting the engine lid this week. Get the shape right, weld up my mess-up and re-paint it. We also reviewed some of the other paint issues i have found. All no big deal to him.

Parts i am looking for:
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Its beautiful....and your build thread is inspiring. Thank You.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

A few things over the last few days.

Engine. Pulled the cam gear from the crank and upon further inspection my crank is not as healthy as i would like. Spent some time on the lathe light sanding and polishing the journals but they still have slight grooves that would need a grind.

I have decided to build up this motor as is and not put any money into it. It will work just fine but would never see the Judson. Will look for a long block or built motor in the 8600000 range. Should start building this engine back up in a few weeks.

Decklid. My body man came over and we fitted the decklid. It is quite scary to watch him push and pull with all his force to manipulate things but in the end the decklid fits great. Too bad i was stupid and cracked the wing. (second image) Back to his place to be welded and re-painted.

Popouts. Installed. Learned alot here like how NOT to install these. Got the hinges in the body and figured out you can't install the window that way. Hinge to window first and then window into body. Got it.

They fit great and look great. A little silicone spray helped out. I did lose one of the pop out latch nuts connecting to the window. Bummer.

I also learned that the latch does not snap all they way back to the headliner when the window is closed like a bus pop out does. It sort of sticks out offset. Anyways they are cool. I am pleased. I also figured out i bought two sets of pop out parts so my second set of frames suddenly are complete. Woot woot.

Door Panels. Looking for tips and tricks to rejuvenate these without re-painting. Any tips? Have tried simple green and bleach. Going to try oxi-clean and per-oxide next.

Moving on...

Parts i am looking for:
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Curious how Bleche-wite would work on the panels. I bought the synthetic carpet from WW but I like the charcoal gray square weave much better IMO, I just never liked the vinyl around the heater surround. I'll have to take the drive to see their new style, I live like 10 minutes away.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Christmas yesterday. I located some correct NOS L360 "Sea Blau" bug Fender Beading and it arrived yesterday. Super Stoked. Bright color and very supple. Correct blue on black molding with the factory bolt cut-outs.

That last image was the NOS next to WW Gulf Blue next to SST Dark Blue. Pretty much your options other than black and painting one of them with Sea Blue paint. Glad this search is over.

Still puzzled on my door panels and how to rejuvenate them.

Parts i am looking for:
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Not sure the best way to get the door panels clean but for putting them onto a panel, hot glue works well. I found chemicals glues will eat up the vinyl. The vinyl doesn’t take much heat to stretch either FYI
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Wow! You’ve come a long way. Looks fantastic!

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Been stalled on other work. Started to install the front window but stalled out. Tinkered around with small bits but nothing major. I need to start thinking about mating the body to the chassis before the chassis gets too heavy, To do that i need a motor so....

Motor time. I bought a new (to me) motor that is supposed to be all new inside. No receipts so some risk here.

Case number is 1 month prior to my bug chassis #. Close enough for me.

Was able to pull a cylinder head and stick a bore scope into the motor prior to purchase but i plan to tear it down and double check. I also want to remove the paint from the case. They painted everything....

Came with a new 60A alternate and new electronic point dizzy, Powder coated tin and a bunch of other bling parts. All of that will be sold off.

Tear it down.

How do you inspect a head to see of the valves are new or just bead blasted?

Will split the case next. With fresh reamed rod ends and clearly ground lifter faces i expect to find new bearings and a clean case inside. The crank is tight in a good way. Only case markings i can find is the "12" in the top so maybe only one align bore??? We will see.

Anyone looking for these?

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Engine tear down part two. I call this the good, the bad and the ugly.

Good. Engine was done with all rebuilt parts other than cam. Crank, bearings, rods, lifters, etc. Bearing pins are tight.

Bad. distributor drive gear was never seated and brass from the cam gear all over the place. Gear is shot. Little oxidation from sitting that should clean -up. Oil pump studs were replaced with M6 tapped threads. That will be interesting....

Ugly. Why would you put all rebuilt parts into a case and not bother to clean the case. Dirty.... Super sloppy glue job too with rear main oil gallery blocked from glue.

I think this is all recoverable. Case and crank are .5mm over so that is good and so far no groove in case bearing saddle area. No cam bearings but that is normal for 40HP.

Should i re-use the bearings??? Crank are fine but not sure about main's. Once i pull the gear i will be able to tell.

Been reading up on cleaning cases.

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Not alot done the last few weeks. I have turned my focus onto the engine and less on the body.

Honestly i think the body is going to get too heavy to safely lift onto the chassis if i keep adding parts to it so i am setting it aside for a while.

Cleaned off the workbench and laid out the parts for cleaning and clearance checking.

Been wrestling with the pro's and con's of this motor. All really in the case right now. I did some clean-up on the case and it is going well. Lots of chemicals, elbow grease followed by soda blasting. Have not decided if i will remove the galley plugs yet.

Here is the case half before cleaning.

After.

Have corrosion in the oil sump. Trying to neutralize that. Picked up some Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) and will use that with a mild acid to clean up the sump. See this thread here for more info

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9729936#9729936

Debating on the cam bearings. I think i am going to need to cut the case for them. Pretty deep groove on the cam nose saddle. Sad

Heads are probably the other unknown. Pretty clear they have been bead blasted but i do not think rebuilt. Not really sure how to inspect them without a spring compressor.

You can see metal shot in this image in the rocker arm stand. Nice!

Found a cracked cooling fin. Bummer but i am not going to worry about it.

Anyways. The good/bad/ugly continues.

I have also been doing research on Judson's. Seems like the Big Bore kit and Judson do not match well due to the larger displacement. hmmm.... I am beginning to put Judson thoughts behind me...

Parts i am looking for:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 29

Jump to: