Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help installing head studs
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickyk22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Help installing head studs Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm up to installing me head studs and I'm installing them on my 3-4 side currently. I have 8mm case savers installed. I've got the 4 long studs installed, the two middle short ones and the one mid sized stud. My question is that I am trying to installed the last stud which is supposed to be a long one also, but because of the case saver, I can't screw it in even close to enough to be the same height as the mid sized stud that is the opposite corner. Am I doing something wrong, or do I need to get an additional mid sized stud because of the case savers?

Thanks alot.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Help installing head studs Reply with quote

Should be 5 long, 2 short and 1 mid length. On the left side of the engine.

4 long for the bottom of the cylinders and the extra for the deep studded #3 forward upper.
The 2 short for the top between cylinders 3-4 and the mid length upper rearward #4.

All the above IIRC is correct.

You can carefully run a tap through that deep thread insert. Just don't bottom out the tap and break it off.
There might be a burr preventing the stud from threading in deeply enough.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Rickyk22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help installing head studs Reply with quote

Thanks. Seems like it bottoms out on the shoulder of the stud. I thought I might have to use a dye to continue the thread on the stud, but you're saying I should have to do that? Thanks again
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Help installing head studs Reply with quote

If they did not deep set the case saver (its flush with the case deck like the other 7), you will need another mid length stud, dont cut more threads on the long stud. If that case saver is down in the hole like its supposed to be, you need to look close to see why the long stud wont thread all the way
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help installing head studs Reply with quote

Where on Long Island are you? I might be able to stop by and take a look.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help installing head studs Reply with quote

What Teeroy said above...sounds like your upper back head stud is NOT deep studded, which is a modification to a stock case

If your case is still stock you simply need one more medium length stud
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rickyk22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Help installing head studs Reply with quote

Ok thanks. Yes, it's flush like the others, so I guess I'll just get another medium length.

Thanks Glen, I'm in sayville. Where are you?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Help installing head studs Reply with quote

Rickyk22 wrote:
Ok thanks. Yes, it's flush like the others, so I guess I'll just get another medium length.

Thanks Glen, I'm in sayville. Where are you?

Massapequa.

If you want, email or PM me your phone number and I can come by and take a look.

I've built a few engines over the years Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rickyk22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Help installing head studs Reply with quote

is there any reason i couldn't cut down one of the long studs and then run through a dye and rethread the end?
Rickyk22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Help installing head studs Reply with quote

Ok, so I can't cut down a longer stud because the shaft is narrower than the threads and when I thread it, there isn't much there. So now I need a single 8mm medium length stud. I think it measures 8 3/8" long. So my next question is that all the other studs are from this scat kit

https://scatvw.com/product/8mm-dual-port-8740-stud-kit/

If I get a stud that's different, will it be an issue? Will it be a weak point?

Thanks a lot!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: