Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru Conversion Dilemma-Wiring Harness
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Subaru Conversion Dilemma-Wiring Harness Reply with quote

My Subaru conversion project ground to a halt today. The UPS Store that shipped my wiring harness, ECU, transmission controller, and drop sensor lost the package. They have admitted fault, and the store owner will be cutting me a check tomorrow for the loss.

This is a huge blow. I was already disappointed that I couldn't use my engine from my short block due to issues discovered during dismantling. Now this.

If I were to go looking for all of those components, would they have to specifically come from a 2001 Forester Automatic, or could I go a couple of year models higher to say, a 2004? As long as it's a physical throttle cable and uses a 4EAT automatic.

Or, do I just scrap what I have and start with a clean slate and a different donor car?

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Conversion Dilemma-Wiring Harness Reply with quote

Someone with greater knowledge will chime in but here is my understanding as I have an 00 outback 2.5 in mine. The 00-02 are plug and play interchangeable. The 00-04 work together with some minor mods like swapping out some sensors like knock etc.. maybe the manifold as well?. Again someone else will chime in but this a my limited understanding. Sorry for your rotten luck on that, hopefully it will turn up at some point
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Conversion Dilemma-Wiring Harness Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:

If I were to go looking for all of those components, would they have to specifically come from a 2001 Forester Automatic, or could I go a couple of year models higher to say, a 2004? As long as it's a physical throttle cable and uses a 4EAT automatic.

clear this up for me...

your donor was from a 01, is that how i read this?

01 was a funny year, and IIRC it was only the outback that had a goofy "1 year only" set up and had a specific cam and crank pulley in terms of the pick up (teeth for the sensors)

why do you need the trans controller? reversed subaru i am guessing?

anyway, any harness from 99 until 04 iirc should work, just match the components (electrically) and don't forget the o2 sensor harness (some had them, some didn't)

the engine doesn't care what you bolted to it, just make sure the cam/crank sprockets match the ECU.

i would for sure grab the VIN from your donor. makes life easier when calling the dealer for parts

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Conversion Dilemma-Wiring Harness Reply with quote

Yes, the 2001 Forester S 2.5 with 4EAT automatic transmission was to be used for a Subarugears reversed automatic transmission conversion.

I did at least keep the intake manifold wiring harness, but everything else is MIA. My harness had the connectors for the transmission sub harness, as well as the connectors for the drop resistor and the transmission control unit. My alternator harness was included in the shipment too. My harness also had the oxygen sensor sub harness for 2 O2 sensors.

I've checked Subaru dealer parts pages, and the electrical components are available, but the prices are steep.
-transmission control unit $510
-ECU $600+
-drop resistor $80

I do have the crank pulley sprocket from my donor. Not sure it's an oddball tooth configuration or one more commonly used on the automatics before and after this year & model. I can take a photo of it and attach later.

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Conversion Dilemma-Wiring Harness Reply with quote

Isn't it possible the receiver of your package will reject it and the local ups will send it back to the store it came from ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Conversion Dilemma-Wiring Harness Reply with quote

p/m sent

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Conversion Dilemma-Wiring Harness Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
Not sure it's an oddball tooth configuration or one more commonly used on the automatics before and after this year & model. I can take a photo of it and attach later.

the two subaru setups im familiar with are the 36-2-2 (left) and the 6/7 (right)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i assume youve got one of those?

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Conversion Dilemma-Wiring Harness Reply with quote

the 36-2-2 is the oddball in i believe the outback. it also had a goofy throttle body as well

beyond that anything should work ok in the same year range that the o/p is working with

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Conversion Dilemma-Wiring Harness Reply with quote

Here's the crankshaft timing sprocket/pulley that came of my donor's 2001 Forester EJ251. Looks to be the 6/7 rather than the 36.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Conversion Dilemma-Wiring Harness Reply with quote

^^^^ that's the more common one on the early cars.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Conversion Dilemma-Wiring Harness Reply with quote

@Skills, well at least one good thing...I have a common part!

Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Conversion Dilemma-Wiring Harness Reply with quote

@Crankey, you would think, but that's where it gets complicated.

I brought in my 35 pound package and the label created at 4:41PM.

The other person brought their package in and label created at 1:27PM.

So it takes them that long to apply loose labels on packages? C'mon! You're asking for trouble!

The other person's label was to transfer a 1 pound envelope of documents over the USPS for them to ship and deliver. I finally got hold of that wrong label's tracking receipt and the tracking number. Neither UPS or USPS tracking sites show any information on the tracking info.

After multiple calls to USPS today they see the wrong label created, but no record that the package was picked up by USPS.

However...my package with the wrong label left the UPS Store. No one at the store can answer whether it was a UPS or USPS person that picked it up.

My package arrives in Johnson City and is rejected by the recipient. Apparently it is sent to a Johnson City post office. I've been on the phone with all of them. One person at one of them stayed on the line and looked and tried multiple options. They said if this happened last week it probably would have been sent back to UPS, even though it has a USPS tracking number.

The UPS Store manager and owner I shipped my package from are washing their hands of it all. They wrote me a reimbursement check today for my shipping, and the insurance. They've been friendly, yet completely incompetent.

Today while picking up the reimbursement check they had a USPS guy going through packages, and in less than 5 minutes he picked out 4 different errors by them from no postage, no label, or parcels that should be shipped through UPS being in their USPS pile of pickups.

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Conversion Dilemma-Wiring Harness Reply with quote

Wow. Sounds like an episode of the 3 stooges. That sucks.
I get other people's mail about 2x a week these days and an errant ups delivery too.
Usually the mail is for a neighbor, but the ups is a little more odd.

Folks at the local ups store here seem ok, but I haven't challenged them with anything yet.

Good luck with this and hopefully it's the worst hiccup you have during your project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Conversion Dilemma-Wiring Harness Reply with quote

Thanks. The frustrating part of this experience has been the aloofness of the store manager. Every time I would go by or call for a status update I would have to start over with them. We're not a big city, and this is not a big store. You can smile all you want, but it'll only cover up the incompetence for so long.

I've got some folks on the lookout for components, but this may be the final sign I need to scrap everything with my current donor and start over. Every thing about this car as fought me.

I have at least learned a great deal from this experience, and if/when the time comes I work on another donor I'll be better prepared to know what to look for and how to approach it. Hopefully with better parts!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: