Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garciuhhh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: 66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues Reply with quote

I bought a 1966 karmann Ghia Coupe and the guy who had it before did some pretty messed up stuff to it. I'm assuming he was trying to rat it out. But now the car won't shift into 3rd, 4th, or reverse. The other issue is there is a lot of side to side play while I'm in gear. If anyone can point me in the right direction as to where to begin fixing this mess, any help would be appreciated. And if you're the guy who did this, please tell me how it works. (The shifter is a scat drag fast, and yes. The shift column is a cylinder block out of a small engine of some sort) the engine was also raised so the car could be lowered. That is why the shift linkage is exposed the way it is
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues Reply with quote

Wow, I've never seen anything like this! If it was me, would take it all apart and put it back the way it was.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Garciuhhh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues Reply with quote

Yeah that's looking like my only option really. If I could clean up the way it looks, and get it to work right, I'd like to keep it the way it is. I think the cylinder block shift column is a very cool idea. It's just not very practical for troubleshooting.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues Reply with quote

It would be a cool idea if implemented with finesse. It lacks anything you'd call clever. I reckon going back to normal would be the best route to take.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues Reply with quote

Man. I thought MY PO was an asshole! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues Reply with quote

There’s a shit ton of fuckery going on there.

You need to beat all that shit out of there & start anew, probably just a couple bats with a rolled up newspaper would probably do by the looks of those welds. Then there’s those welds, if the shifter looks that shitty, I would seriously question the integrity of the rest of the shit done to the car, some of which could mean life & death.

That “cylinder block” is a cylinder from an air cooled VW engine. It really needs to be removed from the interior as the cast iron fins break easily & would love nothing better than to julienne your ass in the event of a sudden stop.

Judging by the fucked up welds on the mystery plate on the tunnel, you should start to research whether you have a viable title for this turd.

Furthermore, that shifter was beaten to death & thrown in the scrap pile before the previous fucktard dug it out & started gluing all that shit together before dumping it on you.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
There’s a shit ton of fuckery going on there.

You need to beat all that shit out of there & start anew, probably just a couple bats with a rolled up newspaper would probably do by the looks of those welds. Then there’s those welds, if the shifter looks that shitty, I would seriously question the integrity of the rest of the shit done to the car, some of which could mean life & death.

That “cylinder block” is a cylinder from an air cooled VW engine. It really needs to be removed from the interior as the cast iron fins break easily & would love nothing better than to julienne your ass in the event of a sudden stop.

Judging by the fucked up welds on the mystery plate on the tunnel, you should start to research whether you have a viable title for this turd.

Furthermore, that shifter was beaten to death & thrown in the scrap pile before the previous fucktard dug it out & started gluing all that shit together before dumping it on you.

What are you saying? It lacks fit and finish? Very Happy
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues Reply with quote

However, to start with, if you plan on trying to make any of it work, you really need a new (or original) shifter.

You need a another shift rod, or have the one you have welded, those bolts & screws aren’t going to keep it solid enough.

You then need to make a snug loop around the shift rod on that jagged piece of metal that sits where the parking brake handle once was to eliminate any side to side movement of the shift rod. The front of the shift rod needs to be in the center of that crevasse in the cylinder (now shifter base.)

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues Reply with quote

kman wrote:

Nope, I’m saying, & I want this to be perfectly clear, the ass weasel that concocted this abomination was completely devoid of any mechanical aptitude, whatsoever, & should have this entire butchered piece of shit shoved up his ass… sideways.

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
kman wrote:

Nope, I’m saying, & I want this to be perfectly clear, the ass weasel that concocted this abomination was completely devoid of any mechanical aptitude, whatsoever, & should have this entire butchered piece of shit shoved up his ass… sideways.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
I'm glad you are being very clear about this disaster. We wouldn't want anyone to misunderstand. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues Reply with quote

I'd be curious how this car was even bought and titled, being that the VIN has been removed from the tunnel.

I'd also like to know how in the hell the O.P. bought this car without talking to the seller. Was this a sight unseen online buy? Why do these posts keep happening where someone buys an absolute frankensteined disaster while knowing nothing about it? Who is buying these messes without looking at them or talking to the seller?

TDCTDI said exactly what I was thinking, looking at this disasterpiece. Those welds look like someone just bought their first Harbor Freight flux welder and had no idea what they were doing. There's zero penetration on any of those welds. You could probably just kick most of that junkyard sculpture loose.

So sad someone did this to a 66. Such a great model year with so much one-year-only stuff.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues Reply with quote

What does the rest of the car look like?

Hopefully, better than the shifter boondoggle.

Rip all that AFU shifter BS out and start over.

But, then again if the car looks like the shifter boondoggle, a lot of work to be done.

Best of luck on your project.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues Reply with quote

So this is not stock for a ‘66?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues Reply with quote

Could well be the next modification for a certain red 59 Laughing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues Reply with quote

Wow... Shocked

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of hack jobs, but this almost beats most of the Ghia abortion examples in that thread. Never seen anything like this in my entire life. If the PO was trying to build a rat rod, as previously stated, they sure did a fine job! TDCTDI said exactly what was screaming in my head.

Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues Reply with quote

Vladiiiii wrote:
Could well be the next modification for a certain red 59 Laughing

So it’s stock for lowlights then?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues Reply with quote

Maybe all it needs is a new nylon bushing.
I put one of 'em in my '66 Beetle and now it shifts like a brandy-ass new Honda.
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues Reply with quote

Looking at that abortion of a shifter, all I can say is I have never seen anything so awful, ever. I mean really? A 85.5mm cylinder as a spacer? OMFG. OP, please take some more pics of the car you bought from this guy, I have to see more. Rolling Eyes

Is that a radiator in the box in the right front footwell? SWEET!
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Karmann Ghia Shift Linkage issues Reply with quote

Nylon bushing.... I think the s cond photo shows a support about a foot behind the gearshift. Looking closely it appears another piece of metal was welded to this maybe to enclose the shaft to keep it in place(?) Instead of the bushing.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: