Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can I use VW T1 bug rims on my T2 1961 bus?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
58Olstor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Can I use VW T1 bug rims on my T2 1961 bus? Reply with quote

Hi

My bus has T1 rims. They fit but the axle width will become approx. 2 * 20mm = 40mm wider. I that OK?
The rims are 15" X 4.5"

Torstein Olsen
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I use VW T1 bug rims on my T2 1961 bus? Reply with quote

To me, they look like Bus wheels. The off-set is far outside, meaning deep inside. I have "modified" bug wheels on my Bus (the off-set was pushed outward on 5.5 " x 15 " bug wheels) Find the manufacturer name on those wheels if they are VW, and maybe take a picture of the mounted wheels
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Can I use VW T1 bug rims on my T2 1961 bus? Reply with quote

Those aren't Beetle wheels. They look like Porsche 356 style, not sure if they're original Porsche or if they're reproductions. I think most stock bug wheels are narrower than bus wheels.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Can I use VW T1 bug rims on my T2 1961 bus? Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
Those aren't Beetle wheels. They look like Porsche 356 style, not sure if they're original Porsche or if they're reproductions. I think most stock bug wheels are narrower than bus wheels.

They are called MANGLE WHEELS
He posted those after the first images-I have no idea where he is now or what is mounted currently
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I use VW T1 bug rims on my T2 1961 bus? Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
vwuberalles wrote:

He posted those after the first images-I have no idea where he is now or what is mounted currently

Mangels wheels are available in 4.5 and 5.5, and yes, they will work on just about any stock bus.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Can I use VW T1 bug rims on my T2 1961 bus? Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
A+ for your conviction (w/using all caps)

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I use VW T1 bug rims on my T2 1961 bus? Reply with quote

The first two photos are regular bus 15" rims.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I use VW T1 bug rims on my T2 1961 bus? Reply with quote

The original mangle. When you got your arm caught in it, it was "mangled". Shocked https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangle_(machine)

I had a set of 5.5 repop Mangel rims that did fit on my bus, but the tires were dangerously close to the lip of the rear fender. It may have had more to do with the tires than the rims though, I cant remember what size tire I was running.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I use VW T1 bug rims on my T2 1961 bus? Reply with quote

Mangle or Mangel, I don't like the holes so I did this. Took 5.5" x 15 and moved them outboard, trued them and didn't need to shorten my beam after lowering. Did front and back same, then added disc's all around w 205x65 on rear.
A true RIM JOB easy e

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Can I use VW T1 bug rims on my T2 1961 bus? Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
Mangle or Mangel, I don't like the holes so I did this. Took 5.5" x 15 and moved them outboard, trued them and didn't need to shorten my beam after lowering. Did front and back same, then added disc's all around w 205x65 on rear.
A true RIM JOB easy e
I'm not a big fan of the later (small slot) 15" & 14" bus rims, but love the big slots of crow's feet rims.
Looks like your rim job lets them tuck under well enough:

NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Can I use VW T1 bug rims on my T2 1961 bus? Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
A true RIM JOB easy e
I'm not a big fan of the later (small slot) 15" & 14" bus rims, but love the big slots of crow's feet rims.
Looks like your rim job lets them tuck under well enough:

5.5" wide Modded wheels are big enough to allow CORRECT and wider tires. Originally the IRS (installed) was made to fit OG wheels (14") so the width was stock w the exception of an IRS set-up. I have about a thumb of clearance at the lip, inside is not an issue. The front has the same 5.5 X 15"Modded wheels and I used 185x55's vs the 205x65 rears Yoko Avid Ascend GT. I could use bigger in front easily, but I wanted a match and Yoko does not make them. The tires have about 1150 lb rating ea. The 4x disc brakes came after I installed about 180 HP 2332. the motor's low end came from Powerhaus and it's sporting genuine Italian 44's. The Koni's make it ride great. The sound is from Tiger at A1.
58Olstor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Can I use VW T1 bug rims on my T2 1961 bus? Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
To me, they look like Bus wheels. The off-set is far outside, meaning deep inside. I have "modified" bug wheels on my Bus (the off-set was pushed outward on 5.5 " x 15 " bug wheels) Find the manufacturer name on those wheels if they are VW, and maybe take a picture of the mounted wheels

Hi
Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry for the late reply.
It seems that there is no problem with a wider axle width.
There is no manufacturing name on my rims. I thought they where T1 rims, but they seemes to be reproduction, Mangels, bus or Porche rims.
Regards Torstein Olsen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58Olstor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Can I use VW T1 bug rims on my T2 1961 bus? Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:

Hi
There is no manufacturing name on my rims. I thought they where T1 rims, but they seems to be reproduction, Mangels, bus or Porsche rims.
Regards Torstein Olsen
58Olstor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Can I use VW T1 bug rims on my T2 1961 bus? Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
vwuberalles wrote:

Mangels wheels are available in 4.5 and 5.5, and yes, they will work on just about any stock bus.

Hi
I thought they where T1 rims, but they seems to be reproduction, Mangels, bus or Porsche rims.
Regards Torstein Olsen
58Olstor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Can I use VW T1 bug rims on my T2 1961 bus? Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
A+ for your conviction (w/using all caps)

Hi
Thank you for your feedback Very Happy I'm sorry for the late reply.
I thought they where T1 rims, but they seems to be reproduction, Mangels, bus or Porsche rims.
Regards Torstein Olsen
58Olstor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Can I use VW T1 bug rims on my T2 1961 bus? Reply with quote

FarmerBill wrote:
The original mangle. When you got your arm caught in it, it was "mangled". Shocked https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangle_(machine)

I had a set of 5.5 repop Mangel rims that did fit on my bus, but the tires were dangerously close to the lip of the rear fender. It may have had more to do with the tires than the rims though, I cant remember what size tire I was running.

Hi
It seems that there is no problem with a wider axle width, but I will measure the distance to the fender.
Regards Torstein Olsen
58Olstor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Can I use VW T1 bug rims on my T2 1961 bus? Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
A true RIM JOB easy e

Hi
Quite impressing modifying you did Surprised
Regards Torstein Olsen
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: