Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Peashooter drag racing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

stevemariott wrote:
Ugh. I've made a few minor changes to hopefully drop my time since last month - fingers crossed.

Not to worry. Just checked the calendar and there is still 2 more Saturdays; 9/23 and 10/25 and almost every Friday through October.

P.s. Oregon Trail Rally prologue is 10/5 at PIR this year.
Edit: the PIR calendar might have an error. The OTR site shows November 5-7. Good to see they're doing more at PIR and open terrain in Clackamas county now. I never liked the forests - too dangerous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

Extended weather forecast indicates, Steady Rain Saturday evening.

We're just never allowed to have any planned fun around here! Evil or Very Mad

Keep an eye on the weather updates.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Your reaction times are way better than mine. So your gonna beat me off the tree, Maybe! Very Happy

Sounds like maybe you've got something up your sleeve! Right on. Have you gotten those IDAs installed yet?

frenchroast wrote:
stevemariott wrote:
Ugh. I've made a few minor changes to hopefully drop my time since last month - fingers crossed.

Not to worry. Just checked the calendar and there is still 2 more Saturdays; 9/23 and 10/25 and almost every Friday through October.

Saturday looks like it's going to be pretty wet, oh well. Sounds like we'll likely have to reschedule our Portland Drag Day.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

I'm learning how to use PerfExpert and did some pulls in 2nd last night. This is just using the iPhone accelerometer. Next I plan to turn on the GPS. The numbers look pretty good for a stock SP 1600 but I'm not sure if those curves are what is expected. Will have to experiment some more, attach the phone more firmly, and find a smoother road.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

Something is corrupting the measurement. It shouldnt be so "high" at low rpm and then dip. 55 hp is also a tad optimistic if the engine is bone stock.
The Perf expert (phone) also need to be firmly attatched to the vehicle. S flimsy and vibrating phone carrier is enough to make the measurement inaccurate.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Something is corrupting the measurement. It shouldnt be so "high" at low rpm and then dip. 55 hp is also a tad optimistic if the engine is bone stock.
The Perf expert (phone) also need to be firmly attatched to the vehicle. S flimsy and vibrating phone carrier is enough to make the measurement inaccurate.

Right now, I think the torque dip is related to throttle modulation. I'll find out with some practice. Also, I will try putting the phone on the floor next because the seat springs do have a little bounce even with the phone restrained. A little bit of that bumpiness in the curve could be the road surface too. Might be as good as it gets given the crudeness of the bugs suspension though.

I wasn't surprised at the 55hp. This is the strongest and smoothest "feeling' motor I've built and really obsessed over every detail especially when doing the valves. Also, - and this is kind of a cheat and not a pure 100% original "stock" that I'll try to prove or disprove - but I think the 30/31 carb can produce more power than the PICT2 even on the stock manifold. I still don't yet fully understand how the two enrichment circuits and the pilot/aux circuits come into play during acceleration; need to study that some more.

Some other plans long and short term include building a flow bench and welding a port somewhere in the exhaust to support a MAF AFR. I think some port matching on the manifold carb riser is possible and some head work could help even with the stock Leistritz exhaust.

Last edited by frenchroast on Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

I'm kinda new to dyno charts, but every one I've seen in the past had the torque & HP crossing @ 5250 RPM? Why is this one different? Question

ETA: I just picked a couple off the net

ETA II: I just realized they are both dynojet research charts Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
I'm kinda new to dyno charts, but every one I've seen in the past had the torque & HP crossing @ 5250 RPM? Why is this one different? Question

Those are what I was expecting. My thinking is I'll start seeing those types of curves after I really start understanding how to configure the tool and more practice using it.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

Followup:
I tried the heat riser block for the final two passes for the night last night. NJ John is right in that it wouldn't be noticeable at the track. While it might register on a dyno, in my case, I think it was at best a wash because the manifold was cool to the touch after a pass. It would also take an extremely consistent driver to notice that small of a change.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

I still contend, that the outside rear view mirror folded back. Gained you a .00001 MPH advantage! Lol.
Had a grand fun time with you and Stevemarriot last night!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I still contend, that the outside rear view mirror folded back. Gained you a .00001 MPH advantage! Lol.

Mark the dates; October 9 and 23 are the last two Saturday nights for drag racing this year! Also, Bridge City Autocross is 9-5 October 9th. I'm considering the autox. Who is else might be up for that? Maybe put your new 1600 in the 67? I'll swing the mirror out to make it fair.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

frenchroast wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

Mark the dates; October 9 and 23 are the last two Saturday nights for drag racing this year! Also, Bridge City Autocross is 9-5 October 9th. I'm considering the autox. Who is else might be up for that? Maybe put your new 1600 in the 67? I'll swing the mirror out to make it fair.

Well before I get behind the wheel racing again. I need to do a couple of things.

First and foremost, I need a seat that provides better support for my back and neck. I hurt all over this morning. Crying or Very sad My fricking helmet weighs a little bit heavy. Even though it's carbon fiber.

Second, I need better brakes. For an autox. I'd never be able to do a lap. Without going off course. Due to shitty brakes!

Third, would be a better matched set of tires. While the fronts are ok for driving in a straight line. When hard cornering. The fat rears would push the fronts all over the track. Again I'd be leaving the race course in an autox.

Thankfully we have winter ahead to get things sorted. Very Happy

You can keep the rearview mirror folded back. If you think that's gonna help!

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:

ETA II: I just realized they are both dynojet research charts Embarassed

The line crossing at 5252 is only when you are measuring in BHP and lbs torque. But, if the engine never gets to 5252 rpm the lines will cross elsewhere. They are not necessarily wrong by then, they just come out different. If you measure in Din HP or KW and Nm torque the lines cross whereever the engine makes power and/or stops making power.
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

frenchroast wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

Drag dates are marked for October! My buggy isn't setup very well for autox, but I'd be interested in being a spectator if you make it out there.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

Frenchroast, Sorry I didn't comment on this video you posted.

I like your technique of pulling up to the line and brining the rpm's up before the lights tic down.

Make sure that you load the rans before letting it rip. You don't wanna break your trans. Yes, it can happen in a stock car too!

Link

That Vette whipped me pretty good. Considering it was a POS!

I might make the final drag date. I think I'll, swap the engine and give you some closer competition. Very Happy

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

I might make the final drag date.

I don’t care about what kind of wardrobe you all into Wink Laughing We just like to see to some racing and hanging out with you all.

If the next racing is as cool and laidback as that night. I just might get Xatie to go for it. Pray

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Make sure that you load the rans before letting it rip. You don't wanna break your trans. Yes, it can happen in a stock car too!

Agree. Probably can't tell from the video but I do slip the clutch a bit to load it up on that run. I've been experimenting on what works best including finding the right shift points.

67rustavenger wrote:
I might make the final drag date. I think I'll, swap the engine and give you some closer competition. Very Happy

Might be out of town on 10/9 but 10/25 still looking good for a 1600 grudge match! Lots of Friday nights left too.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

Ok, looks like we're done with the rain now. Sunny with a high of 92° forecast for PDX on Saturday.
https://portlandraceway.com/?/events/calendar
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

Saturday's the day! I don't have peashooters, but I'll be there. It's the last June date on the calendar, and there's only one July date as well.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Peashooter drag racing Reply with quote

Ohhh boy. I might just be free that night. I’ll see if Xatie has something planned.
I always wanted to make a couple of runs down the strip. Think

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: