Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Beetlebaum got his first tank of gas since February today!

He drove decently well. I think that the new fuel pump has too much pressure, because the car stalled as I moved it into a parking space in front of the store and then had a backfire as loud as a gunshot for the second time since I bought the new pump as I tried to restart him.

My brother is also concerned about the rubber oil lines hanging down near the exhaust pipes, but I've been told that they're fine as long as they don't touch the pipes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On the way there, traffic was slow, but he still performed well.

Right as I was finishing up, a beautiful air-cooled Porsche rolled up! We talked about our cars; he has owned '59, '63, and '69 Beetles and two Karmann Ghias. The best part: for once, I wasn't the one who pulled up next to another car. Very Happy

Three days to go.
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

BEETLEBAUM PASSED INSPECTION TODAY!

For the first time in seven years, Beetlebaum is legal!

He has a few more problems to sort out; I heard a nice crunchy sound as I went around a corner, so I'm pretty sure that the rear wheel bearings are shot. His fuel gauge also keeps going up and down. The inspector also said that he noticed some play in all the bearings, so I may have to tighten the front hubs a tiny bit.

I took him to get lunch to celebrate, and I'll take him out later today to celebrate again. Very Happy

Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

It's supposed to rain today, so, before the storms move in, I decided to take Beetlebaum out and run some errands.

First, we made our very first trip to Starbucks. I've been to Starbucks more times than I care to admit, but this was Beetlebaum's first-ever trip to get coffee.

Next we went to Walmart. I bought some square canvas boxes for the trunk so that I can put non-food items in there when I run errands.

Beetlebaum's cam makes the powerband happen relatively high in the RPMs, which can be annoying when doing daily driving, but I'm already learning and adapting to how he runs now. I'll dial in the tuning as time goes on.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Beetlebaum went to the Virginia Beach oceanfront today!

...and the Virginia Beach convention center.

Since he passed inspection, I've put about forty miles on him. Until earlier this evening, I hadn't even driven the New Beetle in about three days. Totally worth it. Very Happy

Beetlebaum goes to his first-ever Cars & Coffee event on Saturday, January 5th.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

This morning, after I took the car to get breakfast with my brother, I decided to go on a landmark-seeing trip, so I went back to the oceanfront and visited the Cavalier Hotel, one of Virginia Beach's most recognizable structures.

I also realized that I absolutely need to fix the exhaust leaks, as exhaust definitely gets in the cabin as I drive, so I've decided to park the car until I sort out that issue (with the exception of driving him to Saturday's car show).
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

In the interest of ensuring that no exhaust gets in the car, I pulled out the stuff from behind the rear seat to start properly cleaning back there. I'm pretty sure that there's some mold back there from back when the car had a leak from the rear window, so I'm stripping as much residue out of the package shelf as I can.

Overall, the package shelf is extremely solid, with just one small hole which probably has been allowing the exhaust in. It's small enough and hidden enough that I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't specifically searched for holes.

Here's the before picture from this morning.

Today I scraped tarboard...and tomorrow I'll scrape more tarboard...and hopefully by Thursday I'll have everything cleaned up, sealed, and painted. I'm cheating and just using JB Weld to fill the small hole; I'll fix it properly when the body comes off for the full restoration in the distant future.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Hi all!

I haven't been posting for a long time because I ended up having some crazy health issues shortly after getting Beetlebaum legal. I'm slowly starting to feel a little better, and so I'm working to get Beetlebaum ready for inspection this year.

Yesterday I got Beetlebaum running again by filling the carb float bowl after months of him sitting, so he fired right up and ran well enough on some really old gas.

I took him around the block yesterday and was satisfied with how he rode.

Then today, the governor of VA issued a "stay at home" order for the coronavirus which permits going out for fresh air, so I took Beetlebaum to a local pond to feed some ducks and to test his running.

After not having driven him for a while, I have to say: WOW, I had forgotten how much exhaust this car makes. Laughing
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

It's great to see this car up and running again.

Will somebody please donate a set of running boards to this special car?

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:

Love that idea! I have an old set that would clean up nice and could be painted but not worth the trip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Thanks, but I've got some! They just don't fit right yet, because the driver's door sags. I need to trim them just a bit more.
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

happy you still have this one after all these years Cool

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Still not much in the way of proper updates, as I'm still dealing with health stuff, but Beetlebaum did go on a (short) cruise with a friend's '72 Super last night, just around the block! It's the first time that Beetlebaum has ever been part of a VW caravan.

I like the light trails in this photo. Beetlebaum is in the front.

And a short video!

Link

Plans for the short-term: replace the heat exchangers and muffler with ones I got recently, and finally install the running boards. The running board on the driver's side poses a challenge, because the door droops from when the car was hit on the driver's side back in the '80s.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

That is so much fun. My friends and I have been doing no-contact VW parades to get fresh air and stay sane (relatively). Whith four bugs in a row, we not only got waves but actually spontaneous clapping and big wows and pointing. One lady on a bicycle started hammering her husband on the bike next to her in the arm with her fist "punch bug". I bet you are already looking forward to your next parade. Very Happy
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:

You mean like these running boards, bought for my tenth anniversary with the car and abandoned out of frustration with their poor fit? Very Happy

For some reason, Mid-America Motorworks sells kits for only one side (with stupid $10 shipping!), so I accidentally only bought mounting hardware for one side. So now Beetlebaum's passenger side has a running board, but the driver's side doesn't. I'm going to buy the cheaper, less expensive to ship, and presumably higher quality mounting kit for the other side from Wolfsburg West. I only use MAM for non-essential parts because of their reputation, and I finally got burned by it. Laughing d'oh!

Here's the driver's side, waiting for me to get the other mounting hardware and drill out the mounting holes on the running board (the sagging driver's door, thanks to the '80s wreck, rubs too much on the running board when I try to install it).

And here's a closeup of the passenger side...

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Nice job.

Cup half full!

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Happy 47th birthday to Beetlebaum!

July 28th: Beetlebaum is scheduled to go through inspection,depending on some family events at the end of the month.

I have the parts needed to replace the leaky exhaust system, but the weather has been uncooperative lately. I just gotta get the new heat exchangers and muffler on.

#Beetlebaum2020
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Wow, it has been over a year now since I last posted here about Beetlebaum!

My health is still a frustrating mess, but there's a bit of hope for getting things under control relatively soon.

Today marks thirteen years since I bought Beetlebaum! So to celebrate, I did a bit of work on some small things.

Something like six years ago, I replaced Beetlebaum's wipers as a "promise of better tomorrows" or something like that, and that pair of wipers had degraded, so it was time to replace them.

I also cleaned and organized a bit of the garage, because I haven't been out there in forever, and it was an unusable mess.

And, because it just wouldn't be summer without finding mud dauber nests in Beetlebaum's engine bay, I knocked out one which--creatively--had been built next to the alternator stand, and I replaced some of the fuel line.

And that was it for today, but it still felt really good to get back to Beetlebaum for a little bit! I need to get more penetrating oil to get the muffler off, but I forgot to grab some when I went out this evening. Hopefully tomorrow.

The fuel in the tank smells awful, so I also need to replace the braided lines and drain the gas.

Anyway, that was how I celebrated 13 years with Beetlebaum today!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Have I really been following this thread since 2009 Shocked

Glad to see you still wrenching away on the car. Here I am four beetles later and you're still going strong!

73 super gang Twisted Evil

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Oh yeah, Beetlebaum is still doing his thing! I need to get out there and spray some penetrating oil on the exhaust nuts and studs so that I can replace the heat exchangers and the muffler, and I need to drain the fuel so that I can replace the fuel lines.

By the way, what type of carbs are you running on yours?
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Kadrons for now, I have a set of IDF clones to get set up later on. Just need to get it all dialed in and then I'll order bigger venturis and maybe some different jets for the IDFs. The engine runs 37x32 heads, and the 30mm vents I put in the Kadrons are an excellent match to the setup, so I'll go for 30s in the IDFs too.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 33

Jump to: