Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus parts engineered to work as tools on other parts of the Bus?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blitzkrieg59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Bus parts engineered to work as tools on other parts of the Bus? Reply with quote

I seem to recall reading somewhere in the past that VW engineers designed certain parts of the Type II to double as tools to repair other parts of the car. Did I dream that up or is this real?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bus parts engineered to work as tools on other parts of the Bus? Reply with quote

I've heard of people using an old input shaft as a clutch alignment tool? And part of an old transmission case to attach a starter to so you can test run an engine out of the car.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bus parts engineered to work as tools on other parts of the Bus? Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
I've heard of people using an old input shaft as a clutch alignment tool? And part of an old transmission case to attach a starter to so you can test run an engine out of the car.

This is what I do/have. I also use an old upper kingpin as a paperweight at work. Haha.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus parts engineered to work as tools on other parts of the Bus? Reply with quote

There is an accessory jack point plug that has a hubcap puller as the method for keeping it in the square hole. I've also seen people open bottle caps off the jack points.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus parts engineered to work as tools on other parts of the Bus? Reply with quote

The trailing arms for the front end make a good installer for the seal race on the front spindle, the outter lower reduction box bearing and the transmission mainshaft seal. They have an handle and a good place to pound on with a hammer. I never use one for that since I have the factory tool to do all those things.

There is no way they designed parts to work as tools. They would have said so in service literature if they had done that. There is a book, "tools for local manufacture" which has the many good tools in it.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus parts engineered to work as tools on other parts of the Bus? Reply with quote

Sounds interesting. Back in the late 70's I used my 66 Westy for sexual inequities, but also told suspecting parents it was for group picnics-there were no picnics, so yes there were ways to use TOOLS in Buses for other than what was intended, but as stated, not in the Bentley. We also pushed a Pinto off a cliff with the Westy. They didn't always explode. I once welded a VW bolt to a piece of iron bar that fit into my tranny plug-still have it and use it today. Old bearings push in new bearings.... Am I reaching here? I do have 4 of those jack hole plugs that remove hub caps though, and you can pick both nostrils at the same time. I also hit my friend w a worn axel after he broke one of those IRS bolts w/o slowly sequence torquing them. If I think of any more I'll be sure to let you know.
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bus parts engineered to work as tools on other parts of the Bus? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus parts engineered to work as tools on other parts of the Bus? Reply with quote

d-rick wrote:

That's the best thing that I can't "un-see" from the show me State that I've seen today! Smile
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus parts engineered to work as tools on other parts of the Bus? Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:
d-rick wrote:

That's the best thing that I can't "un-see" from the show me State that I've seen today! Smile

haha, first time a friend saw me do that he tripped out and finally bought a proper church key and hanger, and quit using a screwdriver Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus parts engineered to work as tools on other parts of the Bus? Reply with quote

The uprights on the US spec bumpers can be used as bottle openers.

Not a tool to use on other parts of the bus, but comes in handy from time to time.
Willeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus parts engineered to work as tools on other parts of the Bus? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
The uprights on the US spec bumpers can be used as bottle openers.

Not a tool to use on other parts of the bus, but comes in handy from time to time.

The two spots above cargo doors (where the rods lock in) work for a bottle opener too. I wouldn't use it on a fancy paint bus but mine doesn't have fancy paint.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: