Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Ghia Steering Assembly
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidmeigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: 1974 Ghia Steering Assembly Reply with quote

It’s not clear to me where these 2 parts fit on the 74 Ghia steering assembly. It’s not obvious in the parts diagram. It looks like the plastic bushing fits under the steering wheel with slots away from the wheel as installed. I guess the other part pinches the steering column near the steering gear box but it must attach to the body somewhere?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Ghia Steering Assembly Reply with quote

About the bushing, I don't know / recall installing it in my 72, but maybe I'm wrong.

The U-shaped part you have to clamp on the column on the outside of the cabin. In case of the crash, it stops the column being pushed towards the cabin, it just jams against the "tube" in which the column goes.

You will struggle, but may be able to see it in the picture, clamped to the crushable zone of the column :

Vlad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Ghia Steering Assembly Reply with quote

Vladiiiii wrote:
About the bushing, I don't know / recall installing it in my 72, but maybe I'm wrong.

The U-shaped part you have to clamp on the column on the outside of the cabin. In case of the crash, it stops the column being pushed towards the cabin, it just jams against the "tube" in which the column goes.

You will struggle, but may be able to see it in the picture, clamped to the crushable zone of the column :

Vlad

Lose that urethane steering coupler before it kills you.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Ghia Steering Assembly Reply with quote

That's not my picture, you stalker, you Razz Razz Razz
I have an original style one, besides, would not really fancy something that rusty Razz
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Ghia Steering Assembly Reply with quote

In regards to that U clamp in the second pic, like Vlad says, that goes on top of the "crush cage tube" on the steering column. After you run the column through the fire wall and through the tube, you slip that U clamp over the top of the crush tube. Those little tabs with the rubber on them then bend into cut out areas to hold in place. There should be some play between that clamp and the tube attached to the fire wall. Hope that makes sense.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
davidmeigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Ghia Steering Assembly Reply with quote

Thanks. Installed the pinch clamp.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: