Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement front seat foam?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reckless Amateur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Replacement front seat foam? Reply with quote

I have Eurovan front seats in my 91 Westy and the cushions are starting to feel pretty thin. Anybody know if/where I could find replacement seat foam? I know Sewfine sells for Vanagon seats, but I don't see Eurovan foam listed. Thanks. David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement front seat foam? Reply with quote

The part number for the seat foam is : 701881375C

Here is one seller: http://fortispolster.de/sitzpolster-sitzschaum-vw-volkswagen-t4.html

For the DIY route - it might be worth looking into getting the foam out from the second row captains chairs from a GLS model - which get less use and these look to be a direct fit. Many people offer these chairs up for very little as they remove them. Check the classified section - there were some there for free.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement front seat foam? Reply with quote

The rear facing jump seats use the same foam.

Since these seats are rarely sat in and most people pull them out and leave them out. The foam is usually like brand new.

I've rebuilt several front seats using the rear facing jump seat foam.
Reckless Amateur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement front seat foam? Reply with quote

Awesome. I'll be on the lookout for jump seats. Thanks much. David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
felixbobcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement front seat foam? Reply with quote

I have Eurovan seats in my Vanagon and found this place in Texas that sells replacement seat foam.

https://omacshop.com/products/polyurethane-seat-cu...&_ss=r

Great replacement and at a great price as well. My seats are from a 92 eurovan and found these cushions are about an inch shorter length wise. The seat cover is a little loose because of that but the comfort far out ways that small problem
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement front seat foam? Reply with quote

felixbobcat wrote:
these cushions are about an inch shorter length wise. The seat cover is a little loose because of that but the comfort far out ways that small problem

Same here, I found mine on ebay, brand new but a little smaller overall. I thought my loose cover was due to my washing it, man was it funky once the original foam broke down. Huge difference now.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement front seat foam? Reply with quote

Just an update, I bought the T4 front seat pan cushions from Omac USA:

https://omacshop.com/products/polyurethane-seat-cu...&_ss=r

They are on sale this week. They shipped from Houston and arrived the next day.

I have a 2001 Winnebago full camper.

The cushions are of good quality. While some have said they are slightly smaller than the original cushions, I think they are the proper size. What I noticed is that any old cushion is going to sit wider due to the side bolsters being blown outwards. When your only reference is a blown open old cushion, the new one is prone to seem small.

I took my seats apart, hand washed the covers, replaced the lower cushions, cleaned the upper cushions, and reassembled everything. Looks like new. Feels very positive and supportive in the seat.

kourt
bikes!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement front seat foam? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip kourt!

Just ordered a pair for my van.

Now contemplating adding seat heaters while the seats are pulled apart...
bikes!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement front seat foam? Reply with quote

Follow up: the site listed above took my order and within 24 hours cancelled and refunded. The stated reason is that the seat foam didn’t pass their QC inspection and had to be scrapped. Shrug.

This did encourage me to do more research. It seems there might be a few different versions available. 701881375C might be the 98-02 version. The ads which show sizes list either 500 x 540 mm (late) or 520 x 520 mm (early). I measured the seats in my van and they are 520 x 540 mm. All above are width by depth. I’m wondering if the 520 I measured is due to the seats relaxing outward over the past 20 years.

Next step is to disassemble one seat enough to try and read the part number molded into the foam. I’ll post back with my findings.
Saturn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement front seat foam? Reply with quote

There is this ad on Craigslist (San Jose) for a set of aftermarket Eurovan seat foam.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/d/san-jose-vw-eurovan-aftermarket-front/7546025913.html
bikes!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement front seat foam? Reply with quote

The seat base foam on my van has 701881375 B molded into the underside. The foam measures 520 mm wide by 540 mm deep, without the fabric covering. All the aftermarket options which sell in the US and list dimensions are 520 x 520 mm.

After (much) more consideration and research, I ordered VW original parts, 701881375C, as that seems to be current. They are coming from a VW dealer near Berlin (who has them in stock but won't sell outside DE) to a friend of mine in Germany. Then he will ship them on to me here in CA. Might be some time before I get a chance to test fit them.

I also ordered a set of seat heaters which, while not OE, have VW like switches and should look stock to most observers.

More in a few weeks or so.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement front seat foam? Reply with quote

Nice followup.

I found a good source for polyester fiberfill, which is a good way to add loft to the seat cushions that are slightly smaller.

https://www.foambymail.com/dacron-fiberfill-r.html

Using this, you can overcome the loose seat cover problem.

kourt
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement front seat foam? Reply with quote

These guys have them as well:
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/us/701881375c-front-seat-base-foam-padding-drivers-seat.html
bikes!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement front seat foam? Reply with quote

bikes! wrote:
The seat base foam on my van has 701881375 B molded into the underside. The foam measures 520 mm wide by 540 mm deep, without the fabric covering. All the aftermarket options which sell in the US and list dimensions are 520 x 520 mm.

After (much) more consideration and research, I ordered VW original parts, 701881375C, as that seems to be current. They are coming from a VW dealer near Berlin (who has them in stock but won't sell outside DE) to a friend of mine in Germany. Then he will ship them on to me here in CA. Might be some time before I get a chance to test fit them.

I also ordered a set of seat heaters which, while not OE, have VW like switches and should look stock to most observers.

More in a few weeks or so.

It's been more than a few weeks, more like a few months. Getting parts shipped from Germany is not as easy as it used to be.

I have the new foam seat bases and they appear to be OEM parts. I'll post pictures later. Also have the seat heater on hand now too. Refurbishing the front seats is now my winter break project. more to come...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: