Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spark plugs for a 2.2L Subaru
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Spark plugs for a 2.2L Subaru Reply with quote

Just wondering what plugs people have had success with in their 2.2L NA Subaru conversions. I have long been a copper plug advocated in the VW engines, but would be willing to try something else in the Subaru.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plugs for a 2.2L Subaru Reply with quote

I use the NGK BKR6EIX-11 Iridium Plugs

https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/part-finder

I might even start running these in my aircooled 911
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plugs for a 2.2L Subaru Reply with quote

I've been using the Denso plugs in my 2.5 since I installed it. They are very well made and last a long time, too, just like spark plugs in days of yore!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plugs for a 2.2L Subaru Reply with quote

It has been a while since I last serviced a Subaru with an EJ22. I have always used NGK BKR6E-11 plugs in them. Pretty sure that is what they came with from the factory. I doubt that the van is working that motor so hard that the heat range would need to change.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plugs for a 2.2L Subaru Reply with quote

My 02 2.5 came with regular Champion plugs. The gap was about 0.042 as I recall using my feeler gauge. The manual stated 0.039-0.043 for the spark plug range. I used NGK V-power plugs for a long time gapped at 0.043-0.044 with my gauges (flat and wire).
Then tried the thin wire platinum plugs BKR6EGP. They say the gap is pre-set at 0.040 but it's more like 0.039 (or less with my wire gauge). Tried them out of the box and the engine appeared to be stifled at hwy speeds. Re-gapped with my wire gauge to 0.040 and it has good power, good gas mileage (20-22 mpg (IMP gal) combined and even cuts down on intake drone. Happy with these compared to the V-Power (mileage 15-19 mpg combined)
Rockauto states: " This spark plug is pre-gapped, but may require minor adjustments with a Spark Plug Gap Tool / Feeler Gauge to match your engine's specifications. For proper engine performance, gaps should be within ±0.004" of OE-Recommended value."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: