Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which spring and shock for a syncro?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andersonj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:54 am    Post subject: Which spring and shock for a syncro? Reply with quote

Hi

I have been reading alot about what coils and shocks are mainly suggested and what to stay away from and Im still as confused as when i started the research Sad

I have a 86 westfalia syncro with a slanted vw 2l conversion with 235/75/15 AT tires and complete powerflex front bushings installed, no extra weight mods. It currently has stock rear coils and shocks with a spacer and front is stock coils with monroe black shocks not sure on the model.

On rough corrugated roads it feels pretty unpleasant, does not seem to soak up the road very well, feels as if it bounces along, not sure if its because its to soft or hard but its not a comfortable drive imo, tires were at 1.6bar.

i am under the impression the front is to soft and cant handle the weight.

I have been looking at the gowesty 2inch lift springs and the schwenk.
Who has the gowesty springs and are really impressed with them on a westfalia syncro.

Schwenk says their springs are a "little" stiffer than stock designed to work with the OME shocks, then if i read on gowesty about the OME shocks they sell, "are not for extended 4x4 use as they are stiff". How stiff would schwenk be?

So with all this conflicting info on the web its making the whole process real complicated because coils and shocks are not a cheap purchase, but i understand its all about preference so now i would rather like to see who has what setups and how you guys feel about what you have on your loving money pit syncro Smile
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: which spring and shock for a syncro? Reply with quote

I believe that Syncrojael (Ron Chandler) is very happy with his setup on his syncro.

Maybe you can search his posts to see what he is running?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: which spring and shock for a syncro? Reply with quote

Springs only support the weight of the vehicle, and are what calculates the ride frequency. If I had to choose any spring over stock, it would be Schwenk springs. The engineers did a fantastic job setting up the van to ride with stock parts.

Shocks are personal preference. FOX are decent, but don't expect a huge difference in adjustability. My syncro westy shocks are WAY stiffer than anyone else's, but are valved properly, for my setup. My personal favorite off the shelf shocks are Bilstein Touring. I don't care one bit for GW springs or revalved shocks.

If you do a lot of washboard, you might want a rear shock with an external reservoir, because the rears can heat up and fade after a while.

I'm betting the Monroe shocks have a lot to do with the poor feel of your van
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: which spring and shock for a syncro? Reply with quote

burley radflo set up is amzing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Which spring and shock for a syncro? Reply with quote

I first went with GW progressive springs and Old Man Emu Shocks. This was a 2" lift for my Syncro. Luckily I have traveled in Utah lot and Hans has always told me "soft springs and firm shocks". He has his Syncro set up perfectly. So after the Progressive springs started to sag I purchased Schwenk springs, T3 sway bar w/end links, and Fox adjustable remote reservoir shocks. I can adjust the front ride height on the spring perches and the rear with spacer pads.

The ride difference is amazing. On the road I can set the shocks to firm and all the swaying and wind buffeting has been reduced to almost nothing. Off road I can adjust all four shocks down to soft, reduce tire pressure, and it rides comfortably over bumpy roads and washboards. I have had a few people ride with me out in Moab and they cannot believe how well the ride is. It soaks up all the bumps and is really pleasant to ride in even at speeds. My wife agrees that it rides so much better.

There are so many options out there, but I am really happy with my choices.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andersonj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: which spring and shock for a syncro? Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
Springs only support the weight of the vehicle, and are what calculates the ride frequency. If I had to choose any spring over stock, it would be Schwenk springs. The engineers did a fantastic job setting up the van to ride with stock parts.

Shocks are personal preference. FOX are decent, but don't expect a huge difference in adjustability. My syncro westy shocks are WAY stiffer than anyone else's, but are valved properly, for my setup. My personal favorite off the shelf shocks are Bilstein Touring. I don't care one bit for GW springs or revalved shocks.

If you do a lot of washboard, you might want a rear shock with an external reservoir, because the rears can heat up and fade after a while.

I'm betting the Monroe shocks have a lot to do with the poor feel of your van

thanks for the info, ive read alot of good things about the schwenk springs, which shocks would still work nicely with them besides the OME.

Ive also found alot of good info on the trailmaster shocks and springs and it seems they are also up there with the best.

If i was to purchase shocks i would be looking at the bilstein b6's or the traillmaster comfort or HD, but still confused.

I would prefer a more stiff ride but i dont want to feel every bump through my spine.

Are stock coils and decent shocks an ok setup and what would be a nice fit for stock coils.

thanks guys
andersonj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: which spring and shock for a syncro? Reply with quote

human compass wrote:

wow that looks amazing must set you back a fair bit from the pocket, where can one purchase such a kit?
andersonj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Which spring and shock for a syncro? Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
I first went with GW progressive springs and Old Man Emu Shocks. This was a 2" lift for my Syncro. Luckily I have traveled in Utah lot and Hans has always told me "soft springs and firm shocks". He has his Syncro set up perfectly. So after the Progressive springs started to sag I purchased Schwenk springs, T3 sway bar w/end links, and Fox adjustable remote reservoir shocks. I can adjust the front ride height on the spring perches and the rear with spacer pads.

The ride difference is amazing. On the road I can set the shocks to firm and all the swaying and wind buffeting has been reduced to almost nothing. Off road I can adjust all four shocks down to soft, reduce tire pressure, and it rides comfortably over bumpy roads and washboards. I have had a few people ride with me out in Moab and they cannot believe how well the ride is. It soaks up all the bumps and is really pleasant to ride in even at speeds. My wife agrees that it rides so much better.

sounds like a sweet setup you have their now, the fox do seem to be amongst the best. Are the Scwenk on the softer side and thus the reason why they recommend OME?
so if the way to go is soft springs hard shocks then the stock coils are decent with bilstein b6 or trailmaster hd shock?
andersonj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Which spring and shock for a syncro? Reply with quote

andersonj wrote:
Syncro Jael wrote:

sounds like a sweet setup you have their now, the fox do seem to be amongst the best. Are the Scwenk on the softer side and thus the reason why they recommend OME?
so if the way to go is soft springs hard shocks then the stock coils are decent with bilstein b6 or trailmaster hd shock?

quick silly question what benefits are then from changing the upper control arm over stock?,
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: which spring and shock for a syncro? Reply with quote

andersonj wrote:
human compass wrote:

wow that looks amazing must set you back a fair bit from the pocket, where can one purchase such a kit?

check out burley motorsports website. more info on the kit there. expensive but worth it
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Which spring and shock for a syncro? Reply with quote

andersonj wrote:
quick silly question what benefits are then from changing the upper control arm over stock?,

The added adjustment of threaded “BMS new-generation heim joints” allows you to achieve perfect camber caster settings for your wheel alignment every time. This design removes the need for the troublesome stock bushings that so many people complain about. Our heim joints are also made greasable zirk fittings, which ensures that everything stays lubricated and quiet! No matter how high your Syncro is lifted or you prefer it at the stock ride height, these control arms are the answer to getting performance, safety and comfort all in one product!

https://burleymotorsports.net/product/syncro-upper-control-arms/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncrohilge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Which spring and shock for a syncro? Reply with quote

Hi Syncro Jael,
In reading your post, you mentioned you switched to the Schwenk springs. I'm considering the Schwenke Springs with the adjustbale Fox shocks as well, wondering if you went with the Syncro Lift Springs or Standard Springs? I know GoWesty recommends for the Fox shocks that you stick with the standard height springs in front and adjust the height with the adjustable perch. Would this also apply to the Schwenk? Assuming you would then go with the lift springs in the rear?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Which spring and shock for a syncro? Reply with quote

Syncrohilge wrote:
Hi Syncro Jael,
In reading your post, you mentioned you switched to the Schwenk springs. I'm considering the Schwenke Springs with the adjustbale Fox shocks as well, wondering if you went with the Syncro Lift Springs or Standard Springs? I know GoWesty recommends for the Fox shocks that you stick with the standard height springs in front and adjust the height with the adjustable perch. Would this also apply to the Schwenk? Assuming you would then go with the lift springs in the rear?

F.Y.I. SyncroJael has sold his Syncro left the forum.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Which spring and shock for a syncro? Reply with quote

My shocks and springs have seen better days.

I finally worked up the courage to load up my Van Cafe shopping cart and buy new Schwenk Standard springs, new OME's, all new hardware, and rear CA Powerflex bushings, and...

Everybody, VC, GW, Burley, etc. is out of stock on OME's. I can't find them anywhere with our regular vendors.

Bilstein B6's are also out of stock with our normal vendors, but there appear to be some floating around at other places.

Now I'm torn between the B6's and waiting for OME's.

When am I going to muster the cajones to place a $1000+ order again?

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: