Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sanity check: my Weber IDF's don't obey the installation manual
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanity check: my Weber IDF's don't obey the installation manual Reply with quote

I have always set them with the plate just covering the progression port so that it is exposed with the slightest movement of the throttle.

If setting up for an unknown condition engine I will expose a bit of the port to make sure they will run on first start up then close them up for desired idle RPM.
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanity check: my Weber IDF's don't obey the installation manual Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
virusdoc wrote:

Here's the first one: some on this forum say to start tuning idle with the first progression hole 1/2 exposed. I've tried this today, and the cylinders tune LBI and there is zero vacuum detected at the side port. But idle was quite high at 7.5 degrees timing--probably 1500. One of Dale's procedures from Pierce specified 1 to 1-1/2 turns in on the speed screw, which is about this setting for me.
Idle timing too low unless you are using a stock disributor and stock cam. Everything else needs 10 degrees or more

But others say the progression holes should be fully covered during LBI adjustment. I haven't tried this yet. This would be more consistent with the "no more than 1/2 turn in on the speed screw from first contact" protocol that CBP and ACN ship with their kits.
Butterfly´s shut and ½ - 1 turn open dependant on engine needs.

Where should I be starting? All four cylinders are synchronized with the snail gauge; I had to open only one bypass screw ~1/2 turn to balance them all.
The curse of Weber´s with the spring in the wrong end of one carb.

Thanks again.

Op

Thanks. Cam is a CBP2239. Distributor is a Fowler-rebuilt German SVDA.
tommiebsmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanity check: my Weber IDF's don't obey the installation manual Reply with quote

I had a set of 40IDFs brand new have 2 of the mixture seats fall out.. they were causing issues to begin with then we found that issue of them being lose and they fell out.. the CB "replacement" ones .. were way to big to actually fix the issue.. I mixed up some JB weld.. and lightly touched the original seat to it on the side and pushed it back in.. very very little.. but it was enough to hold the seat back in place.. I let it set up for a day or so.. before messing with it..
been like 4 or 5 years and still working fine.

just my .02 on the scenario.. best of luck
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanity check: my Weber IDF's don't obey the installation manual Reply with quote

tommiebsmith wrote:
I had a set of 40IDFs brand new have 2 of the mixture seats fall out.. they were causing issues to begin with then we found that issue of them being lose and they fell out.. the CB "replacement" ones .. were way to big to actually fix the issue.. I mixed up some JB weld.. and lightly touched the original seat to it on the side and pushed it back in.. very very little.. but it was enough to hold the seat back in place.. I let it set up for a day or so.. before messing with it..
been like 4 or 5 years and still working fine.

just my .02 on the scenario.. best of luck

I appreciate the tip. JB Weld would have been my next idea but I was very concerned about getting it in the idle circuit passages. Lucky for me, Loctite green 680 (high viscosity) worked fine. I lightly scored both the brass seat OD and the carb body ID and then cleaned everything with carb cleaner and 90% isopropyl first. Air dried. Then used a clean needle to paint the OD of the middle step of the brass seat with Loctite, being careful not to have any hanging liquid. Then very lightly tapped the seat into place with a drift that was slightly narrower than the mixture screw shaft. Finally, with the brass seats in place I used the needle to paint a little of the Loctite around the perimeter of the seat where it meets the lumen of the barrel. This last step was just to allow capillary action to wick Loctite into any gaps between the seat and the Zinc body of the carb. Waited 24 hr, then assembled.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanity check: my Weber IDF's don't obey the installation manual Reply with quote

Pre-set half a hole or bottom edge of the hole?....good question.
Whichever way works better, I don't think I have a preference.

In either case the idea is to set the throttle position on both... to be equal relationship to the progression ports, as a baseline setting.
Then from there you can "COUNT TURNS" as needed, and make equal adjustments to both once on the engine.
Remembering whichever way you DID pre-set them... is handy in that, then you can know generally what the relationship is to the progression ports IS at idle, without having to take them off again and physically look.

If one side is significantly different than the other on the engine then that can be fixed with the bypass screws. Assuming the difference is the carbs and not the engine.
At one time, the bypass screws were pre-set at the Weber factory...... but that was long ago. Maybe the same fantasy past in which the "instructions" were written.

How far the throttles can fully close is not a concern on the engine IMO as long as they close far enough to get the idle speed you want.
Backing off the idle speed screws so the throttles touch the bore does not have any useful purpose, other than to check the fit of the throttle plates in the bores. (I would be doing that before putting them on the engine)
When it's running the throttle is not supposed to touch the bore.
Some carburetors are designed so the throttle closes literally all the way.....but turns out that can cause a lot of problems in the long run, because it wears out. I bet you could have guessed that. And yet the engineers didnt Laughing

Good job gluing the idle thingy back in place. I've discussed loctite VS epoxy many, many times... and I don't know why it "doesn't stick".
Loctite is the right tool for this job. Even if you used the right kind of epoxy I don't think it would work any better.
It does not hurt to make the surfaces as clean as possible but actually equally or more important is to freshly scuff non-reactive surfaces.
Excess can be blown away with compressed air.... and flushed with a quick shot of carb juice (smog in a can). Razz
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanity check: my Weber IDF's don't obey the installation manual Reply with quote

I'd appreciate feedback on how my engine sounds here. All four cylinders are tuned to LBI to the best of my ability, and they all now are participating in idle. Carbs are all sync'd at idle at 5kg on the snail gauge.

When I rev the engine up, around 3000-4000 rpm (not sure exact rpm) there is a loud raspy sputtering/roaring note that starts. At first I thought it was an exhaust leak, or a rattling tin. Confirmed it is not either of these. It's quite loud in person, although the iPhone noise suppression dampens it a bit in the video. I try to hold the engine at that rpm several times so you can hear the new harmonic.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/00CsLMJG4VTZPDEFp3QxaCb3Q

Thanks!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanity check: my Weber IDF's don't obey the installation manual Reply with quote

How come your velocity stacks are not bolted on (don't they hold the air cleaner base to the carb and the linkage in tact as well as provide a seal for your unisynch?).

That rumble sounds like the fan/pulley or exhaust. To eliminate the fan/pulley just take off the belt and fire it up quickly up to those rpms and see if the sound is still there. If it is gone check the crankshaft pulley bolt for it coming loose, the alt pulley to crank pulley alignment, and then pull the fan and check the hub as well as a crack on the fan or any rubbing and mark the fan before removal and maybe flip it on your mounting hub to see if the noise goes away.

I think it is fan related.
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanity check: my Weber IDF's don't obey the installation manual Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
How come your velocity stacks are not bolted on (don't they hold the air cleaner base to the carb and the linkage in tact as well as provide a seal for your unisynch?).

That rumble sounds like the fan/pulley or exhaust. To eliminate the fan/pulley just take off the belt and fire it up quickly up to those rpms and see if the sound is still there. If it is gone check the crankshaft pulley bolt for it coming loose, the alt pulley to crank pulley alignment, and then pull the fan and check the hub as well as a crack on the fan or any rubbing and mark the fan before removal and maybe flip it on your mounting hub to see if the noise goes away.

No velocity stacks on a stock 40 IDF, and I haven't added any.

The pulley/fan idea is a good one--I'll try what you suggest. Thank you!
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanity check: my Weber IDF's don't obey the installation manual Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:

You were spot on. The front half of the alternator pulley was warped and had separated from the collar that slides over the shaft, and at high rpm it was setting up a horrid vibration that was rattling the fan against the shroud. New pulley installed, everything sounds great. Thanks for the tip.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: