Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus Depot Rear Hatch Shelter
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Rear Hatch Shelter Reply with quote

sakow86 wrote:
Is the fabric long enough to reach the ground on a lifted Syncro? Say about 3" higher than stock ?

Not sure of the answer either but the pic may give you an idea how the shelter hangs. We have a 2WD and in the pic we are up on 3-4 inch ramps.
You could easily add more fabric to the skirting if needed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Rear Hatch Shelter Reply with quote

I got mine recently and have only had a chance to do a test fit, but my Syncro has a 2" lift and there was plenty of tent fabric left to stake down. With leveling blocks, it might get a little close, depending on how many are used. Sorry I didn't take a picture during my test fit. I got tan to match my ARB awning and ARB tent room. I didn't look to see how closely the tan matches, but I'm sure it's close enough. Based on my brief experience with the Add-a-Room, it looks like it's made well and will make a great addition to my setup without taking up much space when stored. Perfect for my new 12V shower and port-a-potty.

Next time I set it up, I'm going to try to fab some kind of support to keep it up when the tailgate is closed for chilly nights and/or winter use. I have an idea using my telescoping hiking poles lashed to my roof rack... I'll do an update if that idea pans out.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Rear Hatch Shelter Reply with quote

epbiggs wrote:
I'm going to try to fab some kind of support to keep it up when the tailgate is closed for chilly nights and/or winter use. I have an idea using my telescoping hiking poles lashed to my roof rack... I'll do an update if that idea pans out.

I thought the same and used some plastic pipe. Worked really well until it rained at night and the top filled with water. Didn't do any damage but figured easier to close hatch with it left in place.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Rear Hatch Shelter Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
epbiggs wrote:
I'm going to try to fab some kind of support to keep it up when the tailgate is closed for chilly nights and/or winter use. I have an idea using my telescoping hiking poles lashed to my roof rack... I'll do an update if that idea pans out.

I thought the same and used some plastic pipe. Worked really well until it rained at night and the top filled with water. Didn't do any damage but figured easier to close hatch with it left in place.

Nice! I'm not sure I'd want to carry the extra poles, but it's a clever solution. Since my rack sits all the way at the back of my roof, I was thinking I could somehow implement my hiking poles, which I always have, as a way to just support the top part of the tent. Or possibly lash the poles to the poptop hinge at an angle? I have no idea if it will work, but I'll give it a go.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Rear Hatch Shelter Reply with quote

I finally got a chance to use my rear hatch add-a-room and it worked great. I was camped at a very windy spot (Pawnee National Grasslands overlooking the Pawnee Buttes) and it held up just fine. I'm working on a way to have it stay up properly with the rear hatch closed and will update later when I've worked out the kinks, but I think I have a good and relatively simple method in the works using two poles (two guy lines per pole), a couple of bungee cords and a few magnets. I would really like to use this in cold weather with the rear hatch closed to extend its usability without having to haul around a frame, like the one listed earlier in this thread. The frame is an excellent solution, but bulkier than I'd like for an already over-packed van. Stay tuned!
You can see the tent reaches the ground on my lifted Syncro, but the screen/netting has about a 2" gap at the bottom, as you can see in the above and below images.

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Rear Hatch Shelter Reply with quote

Well, I finally got around to figuring out how to have my rear add-a-room tent be free standing, without the need for the tailgate to keep it erect. It just took two adjustable poles and four guy lines. Plus for added strength, I used a couple of bungee cords , one at each top/rear corner, and some strategically placed strong magnets. Two of the guy lines go straight out from the poles and the other two pull from the sides to keep it all tight.

The PVC pipe solution is probably a sturdier/better solution, but I have limited room as a full-timer and didn't want additional stuff to carry around. I have too much stuff already! I have tested this setup in some pretty strong winds and it has held up just fine. I haven't had any rain yet on this camp, but I suspect rain will be the Achilles heal, with rain pooling in the middle of the roof. I can always just lift the tailgate when it rains... problem solved.

The last couple of nights have been pretty chilly in the mid 40's where I'm camped right now, and it's supposed to get into the 30's overnight next week, so it's nice to be able to close that rear door to retain some heat. I can't justify using my Propex heater when the rear tailgate is open, however for some reason, the open pop-top is fine in my mind. (I do have pop-top insulation from Fanchers if needed)
There are integrated tabs at the top corners of the tent, which work great for putting the top of the pole through. (The top rubber part of the pole comes off to reveal a narrow metal shaft.)

I used bungee cords on the top/rear tabs to help keep the tent from sliding back, as well as some magnets along the rear side and top.

With the tailgate open:

Here's a link to the poles I used in anyone is interested: https://amzn.to/2VSmMRy
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Rear Hatch Shelter Reply with quote

Side tent option.. and we thought we invented camper coolness!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Rear Hatch Shelter Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
Side tent option.. and we thought we invented camper coolness!

I agree! It's not terribly different Laughing Both vehicles are from the previous century.

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Rear Hatch Shelter Reply with quote

nice!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Rear Hatch Shelter Reply with quote

Hey guys, I just purchased one of these. Any suggestions on how to anchor the bottom of the shelter when parked on hard/paved surfaces?

Last edited by bcolins on Sat May 21, 2022 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Rear Hatch Shelter Reply with quote

You don't need to. Just let it hang. If you want to keep the fabric in a breeze, pinch a couple of small sand bags to the lower edge with spring clamps.

I agree with 100% of every glowing comment about this I can think of.

Two mods I'd like, however. The corners at the hinge part of the hatch don't adequately cover and I have to stuff socks in there to keep the mosquitos out. Rain yes, bugs, no. And I'd like an awning of about 10" that would project off the rear top to keep rain out and allow the door open with the screen for stuffy nights. If there were pockets sewn into the top so battens could hold out the projection, it wouldn't need poles and ties.

Absolutely love it. You couldn't even buy the zippers for what he charges.

Duncan
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Rear Hatch Shelter Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
You don't need to. Just let it hang. If you want to keep the fabric in a breeze, pinch a couple of small sand bags to the lower edge with spring clamps

Duncan

Can you clarify what you mean by "keeping the fabric in the breeze" and also explain what kind of sand bags and spring clips you are suggesting (maybe a picture if this is what you use?)

Brian
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Rear Hatch Shelter Reply with quote

Any small bag which can be filled with about 5 pounds of sand will keep the lower portion from blowing away for up to a 10.37586 mile per hour breeze. Without the sarcasm, you just have to experiment. A bag that is 6 x 8 inches with a draw string should be good. Sew them yourself. More wind, a bigger bag.

Clips https://www.homedepot.com/p/Anvil-2-in-Spring-Clamp-99691/302755764?s

Duncan
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Rear Hatch Shelter Reply with quote

bcolins wrote:
Hey guys, I just purchased one of these. Any suggestions on how to anchor the bottom of the shelter when parked on hard/paved surfaces?

Tied off too a gallon of water on each side?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Rear Hatch Shelter Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Any small bag which can be filled with about 5 pounds of sand will keep the lower portion from blowing away for up to a 10.37586 mile per hour breeze. Without the sarcasm, you just have to experiment. A bag that is 6 x 8 inches with a draw string should be good. Sew them yourself. More wind, a bigger bag.

Clips https://www.homedepot.com/p/Anvil-2-in-Spring-Clamp-99691/302755764?s

Duncan

Thanks!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Rear Hatch Shelter Reply with quote

Water jugs work too. Unless you need the drinking water, something collapsible that can be filled at the site will conserve interior cube for other crud.

Duncan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: