Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jims 1954
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

the thing is in much better shape than i expected.

i discovered banrdoor.dk the other day. i contacted the guy who runs it and asked him to add this one to the registry. it was fun looking through the gallery and seeing that mine is for sure not the worst one around. it might be in the better 2/3 of barndoors or something. also...that says there are less than 50 barndoor pickups in the US... less than 100 globally. i had no idea. absurd.

hey everett- thanks for the website! this place is a wealth of information. i appreciate that this exists.

if you guys like playing ispy with parts mountains i have that content in abundance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Yes, a Barndoor Single Cab is a pretty rare thing nowadays for sure, and apart from the cut off cab, yours is certainly not the worst example that is resurrected. Good to hear that it's in a much better condition than expected. I hope it will be restored, that would be a very cool project.
In those piles of parts are probably quite a few you might need or could use for your SC. A spare crankshaft is always nice to have and you have plenty of them!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

If you could get your hands on one of those cabs at auction it would make that project far more valuable no matter if you kept it or sold it.

One of those situations where the project could make a huge turn for the better.. Cool

Make it happen regardless.

Show up at the auction and bid to just scare anyone else off...

What’s That Noise?!?
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

You might be interested in these as well; https://www.thesamba.com/vw//classifieds/detail.php?id=2447904
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

ddutch wrote:
You might be interested in these as well; https://www.thesamba.com/vw//classifieds/detail.php?id=2447904

Price is ok but they are late gates...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
Price is ok but they are late gates...

Ah okay, I know that early Barndoors have the smooth gates but I didn't know there were differences between the earlier and later ''profiled'' gates. KlassicFab offers just one type for Single cabs from 1954 till 1967.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

well, excuse my ignorance, but i dont know nothing about what the different gates look like. i noticed a smooth gate single cab sold on here recently...people were excited. ive read that bay window gates are too long. that is the extent of my knowledge.

how do i tell them apart?

is there something like garwood "car of the century" or miller "volkswagen bug" book for barndoors?

i have a pdf of a spare parts list for my beetle. i also have photocopies of the imges (not parts lists or quantities) from an april 1955 spare parts list for transporters. im pretty sure thats the later model so i havent been too trusting about the details.

is a digital file available of the spare parts list for barndoors?

edit for posterity:
the gates can be identified as late because they have indents above the hinges. smooth gates were used till 53. 54 has one year specific gates with 2 bumper holes, one in the middle and one near the back end. 55 - 66 has a single bumper hole near the back end without the strengthening indents near the hinges. 67 and up have the strenght indents.

Last edited by Jimone on Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
well, excuse my ignorance, but i dont know nothing about what the different gates look like. i noticed a smooth gate single cab sold on here recently...people were excited. ive read that bay window gates are too long. that is the extent of my knowledge.

how do i tell them apart?

is there something like garwood "car of the century" or miller "volkswagen bug" book for barndoors?

i have a pdf of a spare parts list for my beetle. i also have photocopies of the imges (not parts lists or quantities) from an april 1955 spare parts list for transporters. im pretty sure thats the later model so i havent been too trusting about the details.

is a digital file available of the spare parts list for barndoors?

The best resource for single cab info that I've found is still Dropgates.com...

https://www.dropgates.com/

The 'year changes' and 'restoration help' pages should help you identify whether parts are barndoor or later.

The searchable '58 parts manual that easy_e uploaded covers all models for all years up to and including '58. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1958buspartslist.php

Where parts changed over the years, they are described as 'up to Chassis No. ...' and 'from Chassis No. ...' etc.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

amazing. thank you so much andy! that is exactly what i was looking for.

back in a bit...going to dive into the parts and see what i can find.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

been doing some cleaning.

pulled everything out and climed inside.

there are quite a few rust spots.

holes

and more holes

lots of gunk to clean up

bed is cleaning up a bit.

elbow grease ftw

ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

By looking at the photo's, you might save yourself lots of time and energy by just drilling out that load bed and put in a new one. It doesn't realy look like it can be saved without doing many labor intensive patch repairs. There are several holes and the rest seems to have very extensive and deep pitting from corrosion. The under structure doesn't look too bad, although the treasure chest floor looks like it needs replacement as well. Without the load-bed, repair and painting of the understructure will be much easier to do.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

You are probably right ddutch. I have thought about replacement pieces. Its certainly good value for the cost.

For now im going to work on cleaning whats here. I need to brush up on my welding. I have a little mig.

Im attracted to the idea of salvaging as much of what is here as i can. This project is going to be a labor or love. Im enjoying spending my time on this thing.

Ive sourced some fun bits and will post about that later. In the meantime here are some more pictures of rust. Very Happy

ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

I like your attitude towards this project! It would be great if you can bring this bus back to its former glory with some respect to its history.
I wonder if you've looked around for a suitable roof/cab clip already?
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

i havent looked too hard for a cab. several people mentioned the pieces earlier in this thread. they are pretty close by. i messaged the guy who posted them. i was told they will be auctioned in the spring. hopefully that happens.

if you hear of something let me know. im in the market for one.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

i picked up a dash pod a little while ago. big thanks to samba member jonL!

The speedo is a 3/53. i like that it tops out at 50.

it was bent, but it had the starter button

ripped and torn a bit. on the plus side i get a bonus screw!

my beautiful girlfriend started to clean it up. and before you know it...

...its easily the nicest part of the truck. still need nobs. a lot more cleaning, to fix the tears. and a patch for the big hole on the lower right. and the screw hole. and to test the speedo, and...
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

i think removing and replacing the load bed is good advice. it will give you better access to the rusty parts underneath.

check out Glideking's single cab restoration thread, it covers a lot of the things you are going to be doing, even if Funky truck is a 59.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...unky+truck

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
i havent looked too hard for a cab. several people mentioned the pieces earlier in this thread. they are pretty close by. i messaged the guy who posted them. i was told they will be auctioned in the spring. hopefully that happens.

if you hear of something let me know. im in the market for one.

I really think you should try and persuade the owner of those cabs to sell you one outright, rather than wait for an auction. Finding another one could be really tricky, and if you didn't win them you could be waiting for a long time to find another, especially so close to you. I'm sure if you explained your situation he could be persuaded to let one go

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

mandraks- thanks for the link. i had seen that thread, but its a bit of a monster so i havent gone all they way through yet. ill be sure to push it up my priority list.

i dont really mind if this truck takes me 20 years. im not in a rush at all. i have a daily driver. i also have another vw project. im ok with spending years tracking down the right bits. i dont need it today, or ever and everything i do to the truck is better than scrapping it Very Happy

scotty - i tried messaging the poster about moving towards a private sale. i got no response. at that time i elected to wait for a while. the poster said they would start advertising the auction this winter and asked for patience.

im not worried about winning them at auction. if i can afford it i will buy it. based on what im seeing elsewhere i value the piece higher than resellers would. there are not a lot of other people building single cab barndoors so the practical need crowd should be pretty thin.

sometimes its crazy how time flies. this photo was taken july 22. you can barely make out the corner of the truck just under the bale of chicken wire.

ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

As I said before, I think you've got the right attitude towards those two projects not to rush it. Just take your time as you do. Gather information and parts, learn how to work on those cars. Both are worth saving, especially since those were your dads cars. A suitable cab will come your way sooner or later. Wink That speedo pot came out nice with the original Dove blue. Good to have your loved ones involved as well.

Here is a nice and very similar 1954 Barndoor Single cab, wich had some repairs done that yours probably will need as well; https://www.facebook.com/smithsvw/posts/3320471311350455
The toolbox area under the drivers seat seems to be in much better condition in your truck.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

just a short update today. i had some time to attach a steering column. sadly the steering arm isnt moving. i didnt have time to find the cause. ive been busy working. i work as a coin dealer specializing in early american cents. we had one of our big local events this weekend. good times were had.

while looking under the truck i noticed some fiberglass repairs. so thats fun...

i made a wtb add over in the parts classified section for some of the parts that i will 100% need to finish this project. if you have some parts hit me up and we will try and make a deal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: