Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van Not Starting!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanagonRocco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Van Not Starting! Reply with quote

1985 VW Vanagon Weekender (no cabinetry etc.)

I'm basically looking for any troubleshooting tips to help get my van started. I have a brand new battery. Basically:

1. Key in ignition; no beep sound, no lights, and complete silence when I turn it
2. Jump starting does nothing.

Any ideas? THANKS!
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Not Starting! Reply with quote

Could be a whole of things, and if you can get more specific, it will help.

Off the top of my head: Ignition switch, bad battery cables, bad starter, alternator

But if you are getting no electrical at all, then something's likely up with the battery and how it's connected.
VanagonRocco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Not Starting! Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I'm almost certain its the battery / connection. I had someone put in a second battery, and ever since then my starter battery has been losing power, but I've never seen it at absolute zero before. Really weird.
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Not Starting! Reply with quote

VanagonRocco wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm almost certain its the battery / connection. I had someone put in a second battery, and ever since then my starter battery has been losing power, but I've never seen it at absolute zero before. Really weird.

Yeah, it sounds like you may have zeroed in on your problem. If your primary battery has a draw on it from the secondary battery and nothing is charging it back up, or whatever device charges it is doing so insufficiently, your primary battery will eventually drain. If it's stone dead, then a jump start isn't going help.

Test both batteries for voltage with a multimeter. If you are getting anything less than 12.4v or thereabouts, then the battery is likely too low to start your engine.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Not Starting! Reply with quote

Scottn59c wrote:

Test both batteries for voltage with a multimeter. If you are getting anything less than 12.4v or thereabouts, then the battery is likely too low to start your engine.

And if you don't have a multimeter, get thee to Harbor Freight and spend $10 on one. Wink Yes, those cheapo ones are fine for fault-finding on our vans.
VanagonRocco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Not Starting! Reply with quote

Scottn59c wrote:
If it's stone dead, then a jump start isn't going help.

I actually didn't know this! And that makes a lot of sense, thanks.
VanagonRocco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Not Starting! Reply with quote

fxr wrote:

And if you don't have a multimeter, get thee to Harbor Freight and spend $10 on one. Wink Yes, those cheapo ones are fine for fault-finding on our vans.

Thanks for the rec
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Not Starting! Reply with quote

You need to have power at the #30 (B+) wire at the fuse box or nothing is going to happen. If you recently messed with the battery and didn't clean the connections while you were at it, it is likely the connects are not passing sufficient amperage to so much as make your dash lights work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: