Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.25 Rockers
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.25 Rockers Reply with quote

I would think he is referring to the use of heads most would use on a much larger engine. When using a bigger valved head like that on a smaller engine I would assume most would be building a much more race inspired engine and chooseing a cam with more duration.

Some questions that were not asked
Where do you want the power to be when finished with the build?
Are you trying to improve an already existing running engine? If so what is the issue? No bottom end power, poor performance overall, falls flat in the top end etc etc?

If you do some searches for builds on here from the folks who have much more experiance than me, I think you might start to see some differences in what they are using in those builds to achieve a good overal performing engine.

My eliminator heads went on a stroker and I wouldn’t even think about wasting them on a 1914.
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.25 Rockers Reply with quote

Yes, this is an already running engine. I am looking to improve the overall performance. I'm really just trying to get the most out of the package that I have. I had nothing to do with choosing the parts that are on this engine as I bought it as a turnkey running sand rail. Like I said just trying to get the most out of what I have so please don't shoot the messenger.
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.25 Rockers Reply with quote

I don’t have enough experiance to be justified in wanting to shoot anyone.

maybe your time might be best used pulling the oil pump and seeing if cam timing can be adjusted and doing some fine tuning of the carbs and ignition timing rather than attempting to run the ratio rockers?

Not sure but if your trying to maximize the output I would assume part of you isn’t happy overall? If that’s the case maybe you should be asking what you should do, not if what you want to do can be done.
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.25 Rockers Reply with quote

That is basically what I Am asking but everyone is getting confused & thinks I’m starting from scratch here. I’ve told everyone what I know about my setup & have been asking if it’s a decent setup or not. I have been thinking about the cam timing as you just mentioned & I’m going to send my 009 dizzy to Tasb on here to run it on his machine to check out the advance & maybe adjust the curve a little. BTW, I wasn’t referring to you when I said don’t shoot the messenger. You have tried to be very helpful in this discussion IMHO.
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.25 Rockers Reply with quote

I just went back and read some of your posts again. What I missed was you said you had head gasgets? That actually spaces the head out from the piston and loweres your compression.

I think I would also look to figure what actual compression is, even if it meant pulling a head and checking deck hieght and measuring those gasgets.
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.25 Rockers Reply with quote

Yes, like a dumb ass rookie as my login implies I had the heads off a couple yrs ago when I had a valve hang & I never checked deck height, copper gasket thickness or valve sizes or CC the chambers. Just slapped it back together & hit the trails. Those specs would have really came in handy in this discussion. I found 46cc stamped into the heads along with .100 but have no idea what that means or whether the 46 is accurate on the chamber size. At one time John from Aircooled.net reccomended taking the gaskets out & increasing the compression ratio but I haven’t had the heads back off since that first time. That would cause me to bed shorter pushtubes & definately mean checking deck height & piston to valve clearance.
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.25 Rockers Reply with quote

I honestly didn’t think you were but wanted to remind you that I haven’t even half the experiance some here have and hoped it would come across more as a bit of offbeat humor.

I honestly would not attempt to run the ratio rockers with that cam.
I would have started by figuring out exactly what I have first. Then try and experiment with that. Like cam timing, checking valve lift and rocker geometry to ensure It was set up correctly to begin with, raise or lower the compression to match the cam, check the timing and advance rate and adjust if needed, and at the very least read up on carb tuning and understanding how to read plugs for tuning. To try to Maybe jet it a little better but it’s hard to beat a wide band with a O2 sensor for tuning but I am doing fairly well doing things the old fashioned way.

If money wasn’t a concern I would simply ask here what could I or should I consider changing to make this work better?

My questions don’t always come across that simple because I like to try to figure out solutions on my own and sometimes those thoughts get some off replies but patients and carefull reading of those replies seems to work in steering me in a decent direction most times.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: