Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 vw bug wont stay on unless i hold key all the way clockwise
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandra_2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: 1970 vw bug wont stay on unless i hold key all the way clockwise Reply with quote

so working on my bug on the fuel gauge which i still dont know if its fixed but another problem popped up with the ignition switch. the car turn on and runs but i have to hold the key all the way on and if i let go it turns off. do i have to just buy a new ignition switch or is there another fix.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw bug wont stay on unless i hold key all the way clockwise Reply with quote

It's the switch.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sandra_2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw bug wont stay on unless i hold key all the way clockwise Reply with quote

thank you!
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw bug wont stay on unless i hold key all the way clockwise Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, does the starter engage when the key is in the run position?

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw bug wont stay on unless i hold key all the way clockwise Reply with quote

I bet it is a 68 or 69 beetle. bad switch

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
sandra_2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw bug wont stay on unless i hold key all the way clockwise Reply with quote

I would think so with the starter the car starts up but dies if I let go of the key. I have to hold all the way to keep it running. This is the first problem I’ve had with the ignition switch
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw bug wont stay on unless i hold key all the way clockwise Reply with quote

My suggestion is to remove the current switch and carefully take it apart and see if it can be rebuilt. Sometimes it is just a matter of cleaning up the internal electrical contacts. The OE German switches have a much larger contact area than the aftermarket switches currently available. What I'm saying is buying an aftermarket switch will likely only last you a year or two while a rebuilt German VW switch will last your decades.

Unfortunately, if your ignition switch is the later style plastic cased switch, they often crack thru the body and then you have no choice but to replace them.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
sandra_2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw bug wont stay on unless i hold key all the way clockwise Reply with quote

great more fun for me!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw bug wont stay on unless i hold key all the way clockwise Reply with quote

Sandra I've had my 1970 and 1971 VWs over 45 years each, and replaced the electrical part of the ignition switch on each exactly once; last time was about 3 decades ago, and many believe modern replacements are not as well-made.

My 2 cents is to fish the wires of the new electrical part of the ignition switch all the way through to the trunk area and connect them properly. I've seen too many VWs where folks got lazy and just used crimp-type butt connectors under the dash to connect the wires (and similar with pre-1972 turn signal switches).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
sandra_2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw bug wont stay on unless i hold key all the way clockwise Reply with quote

Okay so it’s better to rebuild a original one than to buy an aftermarket one, right?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw bug wont stay on unless i hold key all the way clockwise Reply with quote

sandra_2000 wrote:
Okay so it’s better to rebuild a original one than to buy an aftermarket one, right?

If it can be rebuilt/restored then go that route. It just takes some time and a bit of effort. Open up the switch in a cardboard box to catch the ball bearings and springs inside the switch that tend to pop out.

If you find the switch is beyond repair you can buy a new one as a fall back plan.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw bug wont stay on unless i hold key all the way clockwise Reply with quote

Ashman40 photos at the bottom of this page of the burned contacts
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC
sandra_2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw bug wont stay on unless i hold key all the way clockwise Reply with quote

Ok I’ll try taking it apart
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw bug wont stay on unless i hold key all the way clockwise Reply with quote

I had to replaced mine a couple of times on the 68, finally wire in some solid switches in parallel. They never failed. One was push to make contact and the other was the "ON" switch. Hardly ever used the key after that.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
sandra_2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw bug wont stay on unless i hold key all the way clockwise Reply with quote

Anyone know if the aftermarket ignition doesn’t have male spades and Oem does have male spades
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw bug wont stay on unless i hold key all the way clockwise Reply with quote

sandra_2000 wrote:
Anyone know if the aftermarket ignition doesn’t have male spades and Oem does have male spades

Wolfsburg West aims to provide replacement parts that are closest match to original they possibly can. And they show wires attach'd to the electrical portion of ignition switch for 1968-70 bugs. I don't see any spade connectors, but pic is small:

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=311905865A
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw bug wont stay on unless i hold key all the way clockwise Reply with quote

All of the aftermarket/EMPI/China electrical ignition switches are junk. ALL OF THEM including the one Wolfsburg West is selling (Chinese)

Find a good used German or pony up for NOS. I used to keep the used German ones in stock, but I ran out of good ones years ago.

Check your part number this might be the right one for you:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2393688
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw bug wont stay on unless i hold key all the way clockwise Reply with quote

sandra_2000 wrote:

It depends on the model year. Up thru the '71 model year VW soldered the wires directly to the bottom of the ignition switch. So if you buy a '68-'71 ignition switch expect it will have wires attached. From '72-onwards they used a large plug at the end of the wires and male push on terminals on the bottom of the switch. There were also differences in the shape of the opening at the top of the switch so you cannot just pick a year and try to make it work. It may not interface with the "key" that extends down into the top of the switch.

Your '70 Beetle should have wires soldered to the switch and may have a metal case. From '71-onward VW switched to a plastic case. Some of the aftermarket replacement '68-'70 switches may also come with a plastic case. I sometimes think to save $$ the aftermarket makers use the same switch for '68-'73 but just change the terminals on the bottom. This is not a bad thing as you may get additional functions with the new switch. My '71 ignition switch had extra wires compared to the OE switch I removed from the steering column.
sandra_2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw bug wont stay on unless i hold key all the way clockwise Reply with quote

thanks guys!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: