Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical Problem - Turn Signals & Hazards
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beguer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Electrical Problem - Turn Signals & Hazards Reply with quote

Could someone help me diagnose an electrical problem with my turn signals and hazard lights? The turn signal lights on my 1973 standard beetle do not flash at all. Neither the left nor the right side lights will flash when using the turn signal switch, and none of them will flash when using the hazard light switch.

Additional info: When using the turn signal switch the green light in the dash will light up solid green but does not flash.

Anyone had this problem before? Any help would be greatly appreciated
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Problem - Turn Signals & Hazards Reply with quote

use a multimeter and check for voltage at the tail. Though with this, my suspicion is a grounding issue.

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
beguer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Problem - Turn Signals & Hazards Reply with quote

talljordan,

Sorry for my inexperience but when you say to check the voltage at the tail, what do you mean by "tail"?
jpsulisz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Problem - Turn Signals & Hazards Reply with quote

Unsure how different a 73 is to a 71 turn signal system, but I went through all of this when I put new rubber on the turn signals and issues rewiring.

You may need to double-check that all wires are connected correctly, check your ground, and see if your fuse is still good. Could be the flasher itself if both sides went out at the same time, as from what I understand both sides are separately wired, but anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
polypetalous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Problem - Turn Signals & Hazards Reply with quote

A while back I had a similar issue; no turn signals/hazards, solid green arrow etc.
Mine started to come back after I cleaned all grounds, cleaned all bulb sockets and replaced most bulbs too... but biggest difference was when I unplugged the turn signal switch assy (plug below steering wheel).

Just the act of removing plug and plugging back in, started my turn signal return.
Ultimately, for me it was a matter of corroded connections and more a matter of cleaning any and all connections/sockets, than anything else.
That includes removing ALL fuses and cleaning fuses and the fuse tabs on the fuse block.

Of course your results may vary, but certainly going through and checking/cleaning/polishing electrical connections and sockets cant hurt!

Ben
beguer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Problem - Turn Signals & Hazards Reply with quote

Thanks fellas, sounds like step one is to clean everything as best I can. Then I'll try unplugging/plugging in the turn signal switch like polypetalous suggested
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Problem - Turn Signals & Hazards Reply with quote

Maybe this will help... this is a pic of how the E-Flasher and turn signal systems are wired and are interdependent.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Each system starts with a different fuse at the fuse box. #30 (circuit# not fuse#) is the E-flasher fuse and has constant 12v+ from the battery. #15 (circuit) is the turn signal fuse and only powered when the ignition key is in the ON/RUN position.
The power wires from both fuses run to the E-Flasher switch. Here the E-Flasher switch selects which power source will power the single flasher relay.
The single flasher relay when powered is waiting for a path to ground to open up. If this is the turn signal switch, power to lights on one side of the car will be pulses by the flasher relay. If the path is thru the E-Flasher switch, then both the L and R sides are powered and all four corners will flash.

Since neither of your systems work, start at the fuse box. With the ignition ON both the E-Flasher fuse and the turn signal fuse will have 12v.
Then check that there is 12v at the E-Flasher switch on both the #30 and #15 terminals. Check that the E-Flasher switch is passing this to the flasher relay by testing the "+" output wire at both the E-Flasher switch and the flasher relay.

For the rest of the test, you want to remove the turn indicator lamp from the center bottom bulb holder and install the empty bulb holder back into the speedometer. Once you have both the turn signals and E-Flashers working as designed, then reinstall the bulb and make sure things still work normally.

Bypass the flasher relay by removing it from the relay bridge of the fuse box and installing a jumper wire between the "+" wire opening and the #49a wire opening. This bypasses the flasher relay. Now instead of flashing, the corner lamp swill remain ON constant when activated. Test the turn signals and E-Flashers work as expected, but do not flash.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
beguer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Problem - Turn Signals & Hazards Reply with quote

I wanted to follow up on this thread in case anyone else has this same problem in the future. The culprit turned out to be the hazard switch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The plastic half of the switch, with all the blade connectors on it, separated from the metal housing.

The metal housing is connected to ground, so the circuit could never be completed if the two halves are separate. I will need to replace the hazard switch in the future but for now I zip-tied the two halves together and everything works! Turn signals, hazard lights, everything is up and running. Many thanks to everyone who chimed in to help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: