Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing wood canopy frame in poptop
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kymar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Replacing wood canopy frame in poptop Reply with quote

Hello! First of all, Im a new member and new Westy owner. Got a 71 Westy recently. Not in to bad shape, but definitely a restoration project. I'm a complete beginner and sure I will have many questions. I'll start with the wood around the interior of the poptop. Any ideas on how that is replaced It looks like it was originally glued in for the most part. I have a new canopy on the way (on delay, I guess BusDepot had a tornado come through their warehouse. They said everyone's OK. Best of luck to them getting things in order). I got the right sized wood (gonna replace with solid oak). The front arched piece might prove difficult but doable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much. And as I said, I will have am million more questions. The poptop is last priority. Right now I want to get it mechanically sound and then worry about aesthetics. I'm in the middle of replacing all parts of rear brakes and will probably have some questions on that. Cheers!
Kyle
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing wood canopy frame in poptop Reply with quote

Welcome!

Have a look at these threads on the job: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing wood canopy frame in poptop Reply with quote

Hello,
You may want to rethink the oak wood strips, it's pretty hard/dense. It may lead to issues with the staples for the canvas.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing wood canopy frame in poptop Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:
Hello,
You may want to rethink the oak wood strips, it's pretty hard/dense. It may lead to issues with the staples for the canvas.

I was going to say the same thing. I wouldn't use Oak. Use a softer wood.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Kymar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing wood canopy frame in poptop Reply with quote

I did definitely think about the hardness of the oak and am reconsidering. I'm a woodworker and am planning on a custom oak interior so I thought it would match. The interior furniture is all there, so I'm torn between original or custom. I think this bus will be with me for awhile (not going for resale value, but life long kick ass value), so I'm gonna do custom. Will check the other thread. Thanks much for the links. I work 14 hour graveyards, so between work and actually working on the bus I dont have time to be searching for stuff. Cheers!
Kyle
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing wood canopy frame in poptop Reply with quote

Did ours too.

More than wood though.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=709845&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing wood canopy frame in poptop Reply with quote

Kymar wrote:
I think this bus will be with me for awhile (not going for resale value, but life long kick ass value), so I'm gonna do custom.
Cheers!
Kyle

That's the greatest description of using and enjoying a van/bus I've heard! Very Happy Dancing
You're gonna have a great time with it, Kyle.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: