Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 Split bus Turkis/Blue-White interior factory color?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NL-Scirocco75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: 1964 Split bus Turkis/Blue-White interior factory color? Reply with quote

I am restoring a June 64 Standard (that was wearing) Turkis/ blue-white.

I can't find in topics and tech info nor on other sides the white color code used for the complete interior (i.e. not the pieces like gear and brake levers that are well described in the color schemes) on floors, dash, air box etc.

Would this be the exterior top color (in this case the blue white) or another white color?

Help/reference info is very much appreciated.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Split bus Turkis/Blue-White interior factory color? Reply with quote

Yes all the interior body metal on the inside of your bus will be the top color,(blue white) except the inside of the doors, they are two tone like the exterior.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NL-Scirocco75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Split bus Turkis/Blue-White interior factory color? Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
Yes all the interior body metal on the inside of your bus will be the top color,(blue white) except the inside of the doors, they are two tone like the exterior.

Indeed, i've seen the Turkis overspray on the front doors inside.

The item "all the interior body metal on the inside" is not mentioned in all color schemes in the tech area (or e.g. on the WW site, nor could I found it in og workshop manuals from the restoration shop).

It surprises me that using the same white color for the inside seems obvious for you. I must have missed something?
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Split bus Turkis/Blue-White interior factory color? Reply with quote

1961 and older it was the bottom exterior body color used on the inside. I'm sure there is a write up somewhere on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Split bus Turkis/Blue-White interior factory color? Reply with quote

You are right I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in the Bus literature.

I think of it as being part of the body so it's the same as the exterior paint.

The removable parts are the parts that are a different white color.

Just to confirm things - I have an original paint Turkis/Blue-White '63 and the dash and overhead vent and floors are all Blue-White.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Split bus Turkis/Blue-White interior factory color? Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
1961 and older it was the bottom exterior body color used on the inside. I'm sure there is a write up somewhere on it.

I'm working on a 62 that's turkis on the inside, I'm pretty sure it's original paint. Maybe it is a 61 production, or the transition isn't exactly 61?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Split bus Turkis/Blue-White interior factory color? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:

I'm working on a 62 that's turkis on the inside, I'm pretty sure it's original paint. Maybe it is a 61 production, or the transition isn't exactly 61?

Hmm, not sure when this changed.

The dash is original paint Turkis?

What's the month from the Mcode plate or the VIN #?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Split bus Turkis/Blue-White interior factory color? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
esde wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:

Hmm, not sure when this changed.

The dash is original paint Turkis?

It's the only layer of paint inside, and given the history very unlikely it's ever been stripped down before. It was bought disassembled with a lot of strange bits, like a Turkis green steering wheel. I'll be w the bus tomorrow welding in floors, will grab a pic of the m code. It's a 15 window if that matters
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Split bus Turkis/Blue-White interior factory color? Reply with quote

I've seen turkis 1961's with turkis dash. does this 62 have the later 62 style dash with the rounded corner speedo pod?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Split bus Turkis/Blue-White interior factory color? Reply with quote

I'm not sure on the dash. Here are a few pics I have that show the interior color. Honestly it's a bit more green than turquoise, but it's definitely not been resprayed. The color is places you wouldn't ever get with a respray..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SD
NL-Scirocco75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Split bus Turkis/Blue-White interior factory color? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Just to confirm things - I have an original paint Turkis/Blue-White '63 and the dash and overhead vent and floors are all Blue-White.

"I think of it as being part of the body so it's the same as the exterior paint."
Sounds reasonable, really strange that no documentation describes this, considering the nature of our (German) neighbors Very Happy

I wonder when/how they sprayed the interior during production, would require a lot of taping on each two tone bus to prevent the outer paint to get sprayed over or v.v.

Not easy, but decided to go for full body restauration so the og paint is removed. As I need to decide soon I'll go for blue/white unless more info would pop up.

From the pictures below and previously in day light, I found it hard to say what color it was with 52 yrs history on it.

As to thank you for your input some nice pictures; below the "og white paint" and the "no paint" status after recent high pressure water blasting.

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Split bus Turkis/Blue-White interior factory color? Reply with quote

NL-Scirocco75 wrote:
EverettB wrote:

"I think of it as being part of the body so it's the same as the exterior paint."
Sounds reasonable, really strange that no documentation describes this, considering the nature of our (German) neighbors Very Happy

I wonder when/how they sprayed the interior during production, would require a lot of taping on each two tone bus to prevent the outer paint to get sprayed over or v.v. ....

IIRC, for 62& later, the whole exterior and cab was painted the lower color.
Then the upper was painted over the lower below the beltline and in the cab.
Having the colour under the 'white' does give a shading to the 'white'.
Is there a thread on where the body was painted? I wouldn't be surprised.

headlight buckets showing SWR under BG on 63 microbus:

headlight bucket wear showing Titian red under BeigeGrey:

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Split bus Turkis/Blue-White interior factory color? Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
I've seen turkis 1961's with turkis dash. does this 62 have the later 62 style dash with the rounded corner speedo pod?

EverettB wrote:

I just got in from welding new cargo floors into this bus. Even though it's been blasted clean there's still remnants of green in lots of corners. The green steering wheel is something I've never seen before either, I'm waiting for a picture of it to come through..
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Split bus Turkis/Blue-White interior factory color? Reply with quote

That is an odd one. Not even a really early 1962 as in a late 61 production year. Someone must have been hung over from the night before.
daveintactown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Split bus Turkis/Blue-White interior factory color? Reply with quote

I'm trying to determine the proper grab bar vinyl color for my 63 Turkis/como green. Can anyone enlighten me as to whether ivory or silver beige is correct? They are so dingy I can no longer tell.
Thx.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Split bus Turkis/Blue-White interior factory color? Reply with quote

Silver Beige
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Split bus Turkis/Blue-White interior factory color? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
I'm not sure on the dash. Here are a few pics I have that show the interior color. Honestly it's a bit more green than turquoise, but it's definitely not been resprayed. The color is places you wouldn't ever get with a respray..

SD

i've never seen the rear interior metal of a bus painted the body color behind the headliner
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: