Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit& old school motor parts
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: 1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit& old school motor parts Reply with quote

i could not pass up this kadron dual carb kit . i bought it off of a guy that told me it was a new 1979 kadron carb kit . its never been on a motor its NOS . every part is there . i am building a old school motor some day and my first carbs were in 1980 dual kadrons . just had to share this with every one .how many NOS 1979 kadron carb kits are left . spencerfvee
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by spencerfvee on Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit Reply with quote

Way cool!

Kadrons are some of my favorite carbs so this is a really cool treat to see.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Way cool!

Kadrons are some of my favorite carbs so this is a really cool treat to see.
...............................................................................................i to like kadrons . i have used them for years . now i hope i have the guts to use them on my vintage motor build there only nos one time lol spencerfvee
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit Reply with quote

It would seem that Dory approves.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit Reply with quote

It seems that it still has the intact balance tube on the manifolds as well. Good score. Well done.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit Reply with quote

Needs to be on an engine with some nice cast aluminum valve covers with the deep fins, a nice old-school CDI like a Tiger or Delta, Mallory distributor, and a nice header and glasspack Cool

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Needs to be on an engine with some nice cast aluminum valve covers with the deep fins, a nice old-school CDI like a Tiger or Delta, Mallory distributor, and a nice header and glasspack Cool
...................................................................................................................lingwendil how about old school valve covers finned . treuhaft dist.good used erson vw 200 cam and erson lifters race trim breather box thomas nos oil bump and a set of old school rare used empi IMP dual buggy headers thing fan houseing for a old school motor build start spencerfvee

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit& old school motor parts Reply with quote

Fantastic "find" with the Kad kit! Pre-formed metal fuel lines, and that mixture screw extension on the one side! Preheat block-off plates. Is the black linkage center post wrinkle-finish paint?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit& old school motor parts Reply with quote

Man that takes me back...

The balance tube that's not the right length and wants to wrestle when bolting the manifolds down..

Hard-to-find acorn nuts that always get lost off the filter tops..

Can't forget that linkage; adjustment changes as the motor warms..
Set it to balance the carbs cold, or hot, but not both!

Ah, the good old days!

Razz

What’s That Noise?!?
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit& old school motor parts Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Fantastic "find" with the Kad kit! Pre-formed metal fuel lines, and that mixture screw extension on the one side! Preheat block-off plates. Is the black linkage center post wrinkle-finish paint?
.....................................................................................................................yes it is wrinkie paint its old school lol thanks spencerfvee
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit& old school motor parts Reply with quote

I was working the counter at the Van Nuys CA Auto Haus store back in 1981. We sold complete new dual Kadron kits for $149 back then, or at least we tried to because they were almost never in stock!

So many lost sales it was just incredible. I had to turn a lot of customers away and direct them to our competition a few miles down the street, Small Car Performance Equipment which is still in business at the same location to this day. Bought my first set of 48IDAs there in 1978 for around $250 or less for the pair. Cool
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit& old school motor parts Reply with quote

b-man wrote:
I was working the counter at the Van Nuys CA Auto Haus store back in 1981. We sold complete new dual Kadron kits for $149 back then, or at least we tried to because they were almost never in stock!

So many lost sales it was just incredible. I had to turn a lot of customers away and direct them to our competition a few miles down the street, Small Car Performance Equipment which is still in business at the same location to this day. Bought my first set of 48IDAs there in 1978 for around $250 or less for the pair. Cool
..........................................................................................................................wow $149.00 that was a lot of money back then in 1978 only made $8.00 a hour lol spencerfvee
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit& old school motor parts Reply with quote

Nice....I've had a motor from the mid-70's sitting in my garage for the last 35 years...finally got a car to put it into LOL. Gene Berg welded c/w crank with his worked on rods, dual zeniths. Case is from a 71 ghia I had from new (car is long gone, unfortunately). Was originally an 1835 with a different case, then redone as a 1641 with the current case.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit& old school motor parts Reply with quote

They look nice but loose the air cleaner cages and pick up 5-7hp with no other mods
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit& old school motor parts Reply with quote

johnnyvw164 wrote:
Nice....I've had a motor from the mid-70's sitting in my garage for the last 35 years...finally got a car to put it into LOL. Gene Berg welded c/w crank with his worked on rods, dual zeniths. Case is from a 71 ghia I had from new (car is long gone, unfortunately). Was originally an 1835 with a different case, then redone as a 1641 with the current case.
...........................................................................................................................35 years thats a long time to wait for a vw to put it in . i love zenith carbs they are very street friendly good luck on your new car build spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit& old school motor parts Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
They look nice but loose the air cleaner cages and pick up 5-7hp with no other mods
................................................................................................i under stand what your saying but i want the 1970s look as long as it does the speed limit, i am good .it will be a street driver spencerfvee
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit& old school motor parts Reply with quote

You’ll have to build an engine with stock stroke cause it would be a crime to cut that balance tube!
Nice find.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit& old school motor parts Reply with quote

The only bad thing about any NOS kadron kits is the TINY throttle shaft bushing that is used prior to 2010 or so. If you use a heavy return spring on the carbs themselves it will cause rapid wear to the bushing. The giant garage door spring on the factory kadron linkage doesnt help either.

All TBs since that time now use a 10mm bronze bushing from the factory. Some shops charge more for this 'upgrade' while others remove the bushing and install some of other material and call it an upgrade.

You might want to get a set of new factory solex TBs while they are still available and stash the NOS early ones for backup.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit& old school motor parts Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
You’ll have to build an engine with stock stroke cause it would be a crime to cut that balance tube!
Nice find.
.............................................................................................................i would never cut the tube . i just dont think i will put them on a motor. there only nos once in there life .and if guys want to restore there old kadrons they can look at mine i would be happy to put more pictures on of the carbs spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 NOS kadron dual carb kit& old school motor parts Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
The only bad thing about any NOS kadron kits is the TINY throttle shaft bushing that is used prior to 2010 or so. If you use a heavy return spring on the carbs themselves it will cause rapid wear to the bushing. The giant garage door spring on the factory kadron linkage doesnt help either.

All TBs since that time now use a 10mm bronze bushing from the factory. Some shops charge more for this 'upgrade' while others remove the bushing and install some of other material and call it an upgrade.

You might want to get a set of new factory solex TBs while they are still available and stash the NOS early ones for backup.
..................................................................................................................great info i learned some thing new today thanks for the post on the bushings spencerfvee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: