Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nice little trick for removing bolts rusted to bushing sleeves
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Nice little trick for removing bolts rusted to bushing sleeves Reply with quote

I could not get the rear shock lower bolt out - frozen bolt to sleeve syndrome.
Spent an hour on YT last night watched at least 6 vids and every single vid said you gotta cut her off with a sawzall.

Today I decided just to soak it in weasel piss for a week then try again with the sledge hammer..... but my neighbor who is a great mechanic passed by and I asked his opinion about it - he gave me a few very valuable tricks, which worked.

First off he pointed out to me that often these metal sleeves are made from a flat piece of metal rolled into a tube - so if it is this type of sleeve you are in luck... you can locate that place where the metal joins and hammer it open with a flathead screw driver.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then.... you don't want to torch too much on rubber because it is very very toxic, but burning it out a little bit will both help shock the rust as well as get rid of a bit of the rubber to that when you hammer open the sleeve again the metal will have more space to expand into.

So after a bit of torching, I rotated the crack in the sleeve to 12 oclock and sprayed some penetrating oil on it so gravity would let the oil seep into the crack....

Next I used a drift on the end of the bolt and out it came!

Then put on the shock.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Nice little trick for removing bolts rusted to bushing sleeves Reply with quote

epowell wrote:

Then put on the shock.

love the eastern European jack stand

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Nice little trick for removing bolts rusted to bushing sleeves Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! Great pics too.
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Nice little trick for removing bolts rusted to bushing sleeves Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
epowell wrote:

Then put on the shock.

love the eastern European jack stand

Probably more rigid & robust than some T25's I see on the road.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: