Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? - Now A "Build" Thread?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vbrad26
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? - Now A "Build" Thread? Reply with quote

Hey everyone. New to this forum but not to VW's. Always had an interest in aircooled VW's but have never owned one - until now.
Picked up this 1973 Squareback and have virtually no info on it. The gentleman that it was purchased from picked it up off of someone else and aside from it having a "1641 with dual 34's"...I know nothing about the car or its history.
Figured I would give it a shot and see if anyone may recognize the car or possibly even know anything about it.
It came from south Florida, but not sure how long it has been around.
In any case, here it is:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'll be lurking around here from time to time. Got a lot to learn about these things.

Last edited by vbrad26 on Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Hey, New Here! Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? Reply with quote

vbrad26 wrote:
Hey everyone. New to this forum but not to VW's. Always had an interest in aircooled VW's but have never owned one - until now.
Picked up this 1973 Squareback and have virtually no info on it. The gentleman that it was purchased from picked it up off of someone else and aside from it having a "1641 with dual 34's"...I know nothing about the car or its history.
Figured I would give it a shot and see if anyone may recognize the car or possibly even know anything about it.
It came from south Florida, but not sure how long it has been around.
In any case, here it is:

I'll be lurking around here from time to time. Got a lot to learn about these things.
Very nice looking square. I'm in FL (orlando) and I don't think I've ever seen it before. There are a few VW groups on FB based out of S FL. I'd give them a try, you'll probably have some luck there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vbrad26
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hey, New Here! Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? Reply with quote

oxsign wrote:
Very nice looking square. I'm in FL (orlando) and I don't think I've ever seen it before. There are a few VW groups on FB based out of S FL. I'd give them a try, you'll probably have some luck there.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot. Also have a post out on Vortex about it. But the aircooled section there seems DEAD.
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hey, New Here! Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? Reply with quote

vbrad26 wrote:
oxsign wrote:

Thanks! I'll give it a shot. Also have a post out on Vortex about it. But the aircooled section there seems DEAD.
Yeah, it's been pretty dead for a while now. Since FB came along most these forums have slowed or died off unfortunately. I still pop in cause theres a lot of great info here though. Theres a couple dedicated type3 groups and some VW groups on FB that i'm sure you'll find the info you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vbrad26
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey, New Here! Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? Reply with quote

Yeah I'll check around. Thanks again for the suggestion!
I did manage to find a classified ad on here for the car.
Equally as vague...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2481050

Based on the pictures in the ad, can anyone with a good eye for these things point out anything obvious to them?
vbrad26
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hey, New Here! Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? Reply with quote

Well I guess that is a swing and a miss. But that is ok.
Here are a couple more pictures of it.

Over the last couple weeks I've been able to dig into it a little more.
Some rust where I would expect there to be some...but nothing too crazy.
The interior is what needs the most work. It was partially gutted when I got it and now it is totally gutted. Aside from ordering a new steering wheel and shifter, still gotta make a decision on seats. I ordered the Corbeau seat brackets, but have not made a decision on seats or other interior bits. But Will be putting in dew door card, carpets and headliner.
Shocks were blown and brakes were a little sketchy so that is currently being addressed.
pgslaughter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hey, New Here! Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? Reply with quote

Hey, so you went ahead and bought it? Late model squarebacks seem to be going for a looooot more than what they used to, but I hope you didn't pay full asking price. The rear apron seems like it got jacked up at some point. Looks like the rear deck around the engine bay is pretty rusty. How do the heater channels look?
pgslaughter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hey, New Here! Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? Reply with quote

Ah, nevermind my last reply, I thought you were looking on info on the car to decide whether you were going to pick it up. What kind of driving are you planning on? If the springs in the seats are good and they aren't super saggy i would probably reupholster them and live with them for a while. You've got the stuff to do it so you might as well I'd say. For a daily I think OEM is the way to go. If you can, host your pictures on thesamba, the links are dead for me.
pgslaughter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Hey, New Here! Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? Reply with quote

I also just noticed that the decklid was cut for one of the aftermarket single carb kits. You may want to look for a replacement, could leak a lot of o2 into your interior. If the shocks were shot I would check all your suspension consumables and rubbers. Ball joints, tie rod ends, engine mounts, CV boots. I believe the IRS type 3s had zerks on the front beam, so lube it too.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hey, New Here! Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? Reply with quote

You have new window rubber! Show us the engine.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey, New Here! Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? Reply with quote

pgslaughter wrote:
I believe the IRS type 3s had zerks on the front beam, so lube it too.

They all do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey, New Here! Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
pgslaughter wrote:

They all do.

From the factory circa 1971 there were white plastic plugs instead of zerks. If you find a car with them they have probably never lubed it in its lifetime!
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey, New Here! Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
pgslaughter wrote:

They all do.

From the factory circa 1971 there were white plastic plugs instead of zerks. If you find a car with them they have probably never lubed it in its lifetime!

I've had a few late model cars (after 70) and they all had zerks - I've never seen one without them - one of those weird cost-saving measures?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vbrad26
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hey, New Here! Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? Reply with quote

Shocks, tie rod ends and ball joints will hopefully be tackled this weekend.
Working on a bit of rust remediation as well.
Heater channels are a bit rough and there are a couple spots in the passenger floor pan as well as in the engine tray area.
But nothing too bad. Nothing that SHOULD require major amounts of work.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey, New Here! Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? Reply with quote

vbrad26 wrote:
Nothing that SHOULD require major amounts of work.

Famous last words around here. Laughing
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey, New Here! Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
vbrad26 wrote:

😄😆😅🤣😂
vbrad26
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey, New Here! Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
vbrad26 wrote:

Hah yeah I probably should not have said that!
pgslaughter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey, New Here! Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
pgslaughter wrote:

They all do.

I've had a few late model cars (after 70) and they all had zerks - I've never seen one without them - one of those weird cost-saving measures?

I thought swingaxle type 3s didn’t have zerks on the beam. Mine doesn’t, and the Bentley book has a special note in the regular maintenance section that calls out lubing the beam for 68 IRS cars and later

1968 Squareback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey, New Here! Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? Reply with quote

pgslaughter wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
pgslaughter wrote:

They all do.

I thought swingaxle type 3s didn’t have zerks on the beam. Mine doesn’t, and the Bentley book has a special note in the regular maintenance section that calls out lubing the beam for 68 IRS cars and later

The early zerks are small and usually buried in caked on grease on the beam but they should be there - if not, someone removed them because they came from the factory with them. I've bought well over 25 cars and every car has had them - that's why I was surprised when Phil mentioned the later cars didn't have them. Last late car I owned - a late 72 Squareback - had them.

They're called out in the parts book (late first, early second):

They're mentioned in the original workshop manuals:
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey, New Here! Anyone Recognize This '73 Squareback? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
pgslaughter wrote:

They all do.

That was on the OE ball joints, starting in 1970. Every type 3 I've ever worked on had grease zerks on the beam (4 of them).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: