Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

your 55 patina finish recipe
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: your 55 patina finish recipe Reply with quote

The guy on Leno said he/you used a scotch bright pad and goof off to remove the house paint but would I do the same for a car that is just patina and chips? Also he said he/you used boiled linseed oil a product I sold in my old fashion hardware store, what is the ratio of oil to other product? I love the finish. I have a 67 Westy but newly painted although I have a British car I don't want to paint so I would like your recipe for it.

Thanks Linda
Leno

Link

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: your 55 patina finish recipe Reply with quote

Whoops I meant a PM but please others let me know how this finish came out so well as I'm not sure which owner did the final finish.
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BtheBarber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: your 55 patina finish recipe Reply with quote

i am now in your position, any leads or info you found to be helpful? On my 62 Bug there is brushed on house paint to preserve the original paint that was done in the 70's and now i have saved this bug sitting all those years and i would like to remove the rolled on paint without damaging the original black. When the rolled on paint get wet it tends to get chalky and runny and leaves white water spots all over. Thanks !
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: your 55 patina finish recipe Reply with quote

Easy Off oven cleaner will remove paint. Then just use warm Linseed Oil every year to protect your original paint.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: your 55 patina finish recipe Reply with quote

Crappy paint removal?

There's a huge thread at the top of this section:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76072
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: your 55 patina finish recipe Reply with quote

Boiled linseed oil rubbed on with a rag. Maybe 1 part mineral spirits to 4 parts BLO. That's all there is to it. You don't even need mineral spirits but it can be helpful as a thinner here, especially if its cooler out.

Prep surface with a good cleaning and maybe a very slight scotch bright (ultra fine) wipe down. Then wipe on the mix pretty thin and evenly. Let cure for a few days. Repeat for a couple coats if you want. After maybe a week you can kinda rub a little shine into it by buffing with a dry clean cotton rag.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: your 55 patina finish recipe Reply with quote

Glad to see this old post come up now that I have a little time to apply some techniques to that pink LBC of mine. One question. What is the best best method to preserve the patina which I doubt I will ever paint, but it is possible I may paint in the extended future. Boiled linseed oil or TR3 polish. Note the car lives in the driveway under a carport covered with breathable cover.
TR3
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The pink one Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

evanfrucht wrote:
Boiled linseed oil rubbed on with a rag. Maybe 1 part mineral spirits to 4 parts BLO. That's all there is to it. You don't even need mineral spirits but it can be helpful as a thinner here, especially if its cooler out.

Prep surface with a good cleaning and maybe a very slight scotch bright (ultra fine) wipe down. Then wipe on the mix pretty thin and evenly. Let cure for a few days. Repeat for a couple coats if you want. After maybe a week you can kinda rub a little shine into it by buffing with a dry clean cotton rag.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: your 55 patina finish recipe Reply with quote

I think I's use TR3 on your new Westy paint.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: your 55 patina finish recipe Reply with quote

BLO would be a good choice for a heavily weather original paint car with lots of bare metal exposed from years of erosion and/or where mild metal finishing was done.

For a painted surface I'd use what you pictured or really any other sort of protective long lasting polymer wax to give some UV protection and extra water repellent properties.
carlos_magnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: your 55 patina finish recipe Reply with quote

Gibbs oil is a good choice if you don't want a shiny finish.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: