Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh Reply with quote

EA57RHD wrote:
I'm totally digging the look of this bus. So far everything is looking very nice with exception of those fugly wheel balancing weights on the front of those freshly powder coated rims.

Not a good look.

I totally agree!!! I painted them black, helped a bit. May need to switch to adhesive type on back side of rim. I can get them fixed when I do alignment.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh Reply with quote

Finished up most of the "To Do List" and finally got Hans lubed up and on the road for a test drive. Every part of this bus needed mechanical attention, neglected for too long. Still adjusting brakes, but running & shifting good. Bus feels solid with very few rattles (new door seals did the trick).

Turn signal is last thing to figure out on electrical. Not working at the moment, but indicator bulb in speedo stays on. All new wiring, blinker relay and turn signal switch. I think that I may have a couple wires from switch crossed. Also, horn was working, but no longer is, need to investigate that. Brake lights, running & city lights, headlights, and both dome lights working great.

Future work will be to get the body back in shape. It needs some of the usual panels replaced, but overall it's pretty solid for a '59. Already have most of the replacement panels in hand. Cargo door hinges need some love, and front doors need to be adjusted. Waiting on a roof rack to be completed and a few other little things. But for now, it works!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh Reply with quote

You might want to look for a H30-PIC carb. Those have the bigger throat for 1500 or bigger engine, but have the manual choke to work with your choke cable.
thirtyseven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh Reply with quote

What a nice bus! You did really well with this refresh, the slightly buffed grey paint with black wheels & bumpers look completely appropriate.
So far, how the engine is doing with the tall tires and trans you have? Do you feel it has enough steam to pull in 4th?
I recently put mine in relatively stock status, along with a 30Pict1 / 205M dist, and it's struggling a bit to maintain speed on grades or headwinds. Running 7.00-15 in the back though, will swap with 6.70-15 soon as it is most likely part of the problem.
Enjoy your ride!
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh Reply with quote

This thing is beautiful, well done. I love it.
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh Reply with quote

thirtyseven wrote:
What a nice bus! You did really well with this refresh, the slightly buffed grey paint with black wheels & bumpers look completely appropriate.
So far, how the engine is doing with the tall tires and trans you have? Do you feel it has enough steam to pull in 4th?
I recently put mine in relatively stock status, along with a 30Pict1 / 205M dist, and it's struggling a bit to maintain speed on grades or headwinds. Running 7.00-15 in the back though, will swap with 6.70-15 soon as it is most likely part of the problem.
Enjoy your ride!

Thank you! I love the way it looks and turned out. I learned a lot in the process. Still a lot to do, but now I can enjoy it in the meantime. I have a lot of little projects in the works currently that I think will contribute to the look.

It seems to have enough power for my local highways. More power would be great, but it's fine for the 45 - 55 mph speed limits around town. The stock height and skinny bias ply tires are more of a limiting factor in my opinion. This bus is plenty fast for what it is. If this was my daily driver, I would have done things differently for sure, but it's not. With that being said, I could see the taller gearing being an issue on steeper grades, but I haven't experienced it yet.

The trans is definitely an upgrade I'm glad I did. Just having a synchronized 1st gear is awesome. Because of that, I ordered a new later trans for my '58 beetle. Can't wait to get that installed!

The tires... I get asked a lot about how they are. It's hard to say if they are good bias ply tires or not, because I haven't driven on bias ply tires for over 35 years. Things I do know, they are not as nice as radials, I think we already know this. They are skinny with a tall sidewall, which doesn't contribute to great handling characteristics. They are stiff, so ride can be rough at times. They are a little louder in regards to road noise. But with all these downfalls, I can't image a better tire for this bus. They are what they are... old technology for an old slow truck, perfect.

Some recent shots.....

Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh Reply with quote

Did a small project on Hans over the weekend. I added a wood "palette" floor to the cargo area. The floor is built with 1" x 4" clear pine and has a low profile. Floor is floating, no screws into factory floor. Along with the floor I was able to add some anchor points to secure cargo. I had a factory style rubber mat, but didn't like that it only covered a portion of the floor.

Future "to do list" in cargo area: A full set of Clara panels, simliar wood floor over engine area, a simple storage shelf at sloped floor to hold smaller items like a tool box, gas can, etc. from sliding around.

Goal is to keep it functional, and still looking like an old delivery van.

zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh Reply with quote

very nice
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh Reply with quote

Yo the floors look really cool but I cant stop looking at the eye candy on top of it! Applause Applause Applause

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh Reply with quote

I can't help but keep thinking ...

Some tasteful vintage logos on the cab doors ...

But I'm a logomaniac.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
I can't help but keep thinking ...

Some tasteful vintage logos on the cab doors ...

But I'm a logomaniac.

Oh yes, something on the cab doors for sure. It will be subtle, not so much advertising, more of a fleet/work truck thing.

Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh Reply with quote

For the last 10+ months I've been working on a custom roof rack made for Hans. Not an exact replica, but something that could have been.

Concept is based on a BeKoWa roof rack option available in the late 50's to early 60's (?). Since the HWE and BeKoWa racks share a similar design, we gave it a shot. A parts catalog listing wood slat option....

My brother David in Sothern California recently found a BeKoWa full length rack with this option. It was hanging in a garage for many years and survived. Here is a couple pictures of his rack, with original paint and wood! Hardware and mounting design was replicated from his rack.

The custom replica HWE style roof rack was built by Drew Ross of North Carolina. Replica hardware and straps were built by David Koralewski of Sothern California. Special cut Ash wood slats were done by Ken Hippensteel of Georgia. Silver paint used is Wolfsburg West's L91. Here are a couple shots of it finished, I will get more shots once it's mounted up.

Length is custom and follows body lines of bus and stacks over cargo area of panel van only. Here is a test fit shot before wood slat install....

Last edited by Big_E_Deluxe on Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
thirtyseven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh Reply with quote

Very nicely done, the ash looks really good with the silver paint! I guess it's longer than a 3/4 length - shorter than a full-length rack?
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh Reply with quote

I assume your brother got this one?

I have only seen 2 of these full length with wood strips. Other one we bought out of Seattle area from Split Window Jim, he said it came off a Barndoor in Canada....we got it in '96, I think Jim had it a long time.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
I assume your brother got this one?

I have only seen 2 of these full length with wood strips. Other one we bought out of Seattle area from Split Window Jim, he said it came off a Barndoor in Canada....we got it in '96, I think Jim had it a long time.

Yes, that's the one...

It had a homemade canvas awning attached.....

Will eventually end up on his '54 Barndoor panel (maybe). Fitment up front is tight/pinched at rail.

Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh Reply with quote

thirtyseven wrote:
Very nicely done, the ash looks really good with the silver paint! I guess it's longer than a 3/4 length - shorter than a full-length rack?

Yes, right in between. Still uses the same modular build so it looks right.

Checkout video, pre-wood install: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxgaPKPUlLk

Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh Reply with quote

Hans attended CTS 18 with his new rack. Perfect day for a drive, nice people and some great buses!

Tried to have my safari's installed for the CTS show but missed it by a week. Finally installed with reproduction pivots. Wolfgang safari's with grey powder coated frames, Buttys Bits safari window seals (highly recommend) & Mark Rafferty's safari brackets (quality!).

I had to modify the reproduction pivots so they would disengage properly. There was too much play in the vertical stack of parts that would not allow it to release. Also, they were so tight and one wouldn't even rotate. I took them apart completely and realigned the shafts so they would rotate easily. Next, I added a nylon washer (red arrow) that kept everything in place vertically, allowed the pivot to release properly. They work great every time now.

My starter crapped out the other day, ordered a Hi-Torque IMI starter as a replacement. Installed and solved problem. Really nice starter, have one on my beetle as well.

Next big project.... Cargo panels from Clara. Hoping they will arrive soon.

Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh Reply with quote

Very cool and the rack is killer! Applause Applause

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh Reply with quote

Started adding rear cargo panels by Clara, to Hans last week. Very easy to install with pre-marked mounting holes. Much easier or faster than front cab panel install. Fit is excellent, just like front cab panels. Bulkhead and rear corner panels not installed yet, just cargo doors. Already making a big difference in how the bus sounds and feels. Doors feel heavy and solid.

Panels are well worth the price and wait time. They are packed with care (each panel is wrapped in a custom made cloth bag), edges protected with foam & overall wrapped in shrink wrap. All placed in a custom shaped HD shipping box. No damage during coast to coast shipping. Packaging shows that Clara takes pride in what she makes. If you need panels, don't hesitate! Best deal out there with big visual impact, imo!

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Double Door Panel - Budget Refresh Reply with quote

Big_E_Deluxe wrote:
Started adding rear cargo panels by Clara, to Hans last week. Very easy to install with pre-marked mounting holes. Much easier or faster than front cab panel install. Fit is excellent, just like front cab panels. Bulkhead and rear corner panels not installed yet, just cargo doors. Already making a big difference in how the bus sounds and feels. Doors feel heavy and solid.

Panels are well worth the price and wait time. They are packed with care (each panel is wrapped in a custom made cloth bag), edges protected with foam & overall wrapped in shrink wrap. All placed in a custom shaped HD shipping box. No damage during coast to coast shipping. Packaging shows that Clara takes pride in what she makes. If you need panels, don't hesitate! Best deal out there with big visual impact, imo!

Clara's Panels are the best! I've had them in a couple of my buses. Your bus is looking killer!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: