Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
McMadden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Has the input shaft been shortened? If not then they may have used the spacers to keep it for bottoming out in the gland nut.

Maybe there was a clearance problem getting the clutch and flywheel you have to work with the Bug transmission.

You can see that the starter drive teeth have only been running along about 1/2 if the length of the teeth on the ring gear.

I was told on another forum that currently the 914 flywheel that's on there is too thick. The remedy is to use a 1972 and up bus flywheel. Does this sound right?
Kenneth1851
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0wFodDqza5Y2Rl4d3Ra0ByHRQ

My 1973 VW bus has this mount and has a factory air conditioning unit. Is this common or usual. No one seems to know.
Ken
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

I can’t see the photo, but AC was never factory equipment. It was put on by the dealer. My bus had AC and two other T4 engines I have were set up with AC. So it’s not super common, nor is it rare though.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Kenneth1851 wrote:
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0wFodDqza5Y2Rl4d3Ra0ByHRQ

My 1973 VW bus has this mount and has a factory air conditioning unit. Is this common or usual. No one seems to know.
Ken

If you still run the AC, and it is a piston unit, you might look to convert it to a rotary or scroll type unit. They are more reliable and put a lot less strain on parts. They also rob less horsepower to operate.
jhingen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Hey all didn't want to create a new thread so I hope adding to this one will be ok. I had my 1.8 short block rebuilt with 93mm 1.8 Porsche 914/ VW Type 4 Bus Piston & Cylinder Kit and a SCAT C25 Cam at the machine shop. This is my 1st VW engine I have worked on to this degree so sorry if these are stupid questions, just want to get it right the 1st time.

I am at the point of replacing the lifters with the EMPI 98-8625-B - TYPE 2/4 SOLID LIFTERS (Machine Shop Provided). My questions are 1) is this a good option for that Cam ? 2) they said the original push rods would be ok to use, does that sound like a good option? If not what are the recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vanagonsgoslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Weren’t the 1970 Porsche 914’s the first vehicles to use the fuel injected Type4 engines in 1.7 liter size?
DADWAGN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

I have a 73 bus, ordered to Los Angeles with a type 4 1700. It has the smog fan and the exhaust heat pull. Looks identical to you picture shown, I’ll upload some pictures, prior owners did a very good job of maintaining it.

1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Can anybody tell me what this little “box” is and what is supposed to hook up
To it.

1997 Jetta "the red car"
2001 Jetta 1.8 "the blue car"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

That’s the crankcase vent. Original setup would have a hose running to it from either the center air box with carbs or a hose coming from the S boot with fuel injection.

Seeing you have a center mount Progressive carb, do you not have a plastic port coming from the intake? A hose should run from intake port to breather box. If you leave that box open, it can, make a mess in the engine bay.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

There is a plastic port on the bottom of the carb just below where the air filter is. So there should be a hose from the vent to the carb? Thanks
1997 Jetta "the red car"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

jhingen wrote:
Hey all didn't want to create a new thread so I hope adding to this one will be ok. I had my 1.8 short block rebuilt with 93mm 1.8 Porsche 914/ VW Type 4 Bus Piston & Cylinder Kit and a SCAT C25 Cam at the machine shop. This is my 1st VW engine I have worked on to this degree so sorry if these are stupid questions, just want to get it right the 1st time.

I am at the point of replacing the lifters with the EMPI 98-8625-B - TYPE 2/4 SOLID LIFTERS (Machine Shop Provided). My questions are 1) is this a good option for that Cam ? 2) they said the original push rods would be ok to use, does that sound like a good option? If not what are the recommendations? Thanks in advance.

They should be fine. Read up on rocker arm geometry. It’s basically looking at how the valve adjusters hit the valve stems when opening and closing the valves. If it’s not right shimming the rocker arms or changing the length of the pushrod tubes are ways to correct it. But I doubt you will have go with different push rods for the C25. It’s just good to check as you are finishing up your engine build. I have never run the C25, but I have heard it is similar to the web 73 which I run in my bus. I have heard good feedback from people running it. I think it’s not so far off from the stock cam that you will struggle setting it up.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

1966type1 wrote:
There is a plastic port on the bottom of the carb just below where the air filter is. So there should be a hose from the vent to the carb? Thanks

Correcto my man.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Thank you my friend
1997 Jetta "the red car"
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

if the plastic port connects to the intake manifold or under the butterfly no. If the plastic port connects to the carb above the butterfly yes.
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Yes it connects about the butterfly. Thanks
1997 Jetta "the red car"
honkadori
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

hello! instead making a new thread i thought i can add it here. the photo above is from a type 4 engine out of my 77 bus. when i was cleaning the engine case i found this plug inserted but not connected to anything and i was not able to find any information on it. can anyone tell me what this is? thanks!
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

honkadori wrote:

hello! instead making a new thread i thought i can add it here. the photo above is from a type 4 engine out of my 77 bus. when i was cleaning the engine case i found this plug inserted but not connected to anything and i was not able to find any information on it. can anyone tell me what this is? thanks!

It's a TDC - top dead centre sensor, which I think tied in with the old 1970s vintage plug-in computer diagnosis system, that has long been obsolete!

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
honkadori
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

hi nigel,
thanks for the super fast reply. great! one thing less to worry about. thank you so much!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Jump to:
Page 22 of 22

Jump to: