Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

79 Ball Joint Replacement
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugcity4154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: 79 Ball Joint Replacement Reply with quote

I’m sure this has been asked a million times here… BUTTTTTTT:

Does anyone know how to replace ball joints on these late Super control arms? Trying to get them out of my 79 and there seems to be no good way to “catch” on the arm itself to press the joints out.
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Ball Joint Replacement Reply with quote

What about a balljoint press kit sleeve?
bugcity4154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Ball Joint Replacement Reply with quote

infinite loop,

I rented the ball joint press from Advance Auto, however, the edge of the arm is so narrow that there's nothing to grip to... any ideas?
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Ball Joint Replacement Reply with quote

The universal kits usually do not have the correct sleeves when it comes to a tight fit. Try finding a thick wall steel pipe and have it opened up on a lathe that it just slides over the ball joint base. I know there is only a very small lip for the sleeve to sit on. Do not damage your control arm with the wrong sleeve!!! Have one made for it. We always used a hydraulic press also to press them out.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Ball Joint Replacement Reply with quote

I had a VW shop do this for me. He had to take a hack saw to the edges of the ball joint, cutting away some of the material. Basically, he cut the lip off one side of the ball joint, then the other side. This way, he could get a grip with his press, using a large socket that fit the edges of the control arm.

When cutting the ball joint sides, you’ll naturally not cut into the control arm.

No need to press the new one in. You just tighten the nut to spec.

I assume he had a fresh blade on the hack saw, because it only took him a few minutes to cut off the two opposing sides of the ball joint flanges.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Ball Joint Replacement Reply with quote

If you have a big 2 arm gear puller I would try that on it. I can't see a stamped steel control arm being as difficult as a cast one.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Ball Joint Replacement Reply with quote

infiniteLoop wrote:
If you have a big 2 arm gear puller I would try that on it. I can't see a stamped steel control arm being as difficult as a cast one.

the steel version is thinner and less strong. Less material to put on a puller. A 2 arm arm puller will destroy the arm. Sometime you just have to have the correct tools to do the job.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Ball Joint Replacement Reply with quote

yes always sliced the edges off the ball joint carefully with a cut off wheel...then you could catch the 2 sides of the arm on the 2 steel blocks that went across the hydraulic press
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: