Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unknown buggy
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gubdonem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Unknown buggy Reply with quote

Hi guys, just scored this buggy for cheap, cant find any more pictures or info about it. Id love to restore it to keep it as classic as it looks. I already have a pan, transaxle, front suspension. So It wont take long to make it driveable.

If any of you have info about it, pictures, etc of how to built it I'll appreciate it. Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown buggy Reply with quote

Have you looked here, it used to be a lot better but it suffered a server melt down and never came back with as much data as original site. BUT it does have a lot of information, you might get lucky...

http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Gubdonem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown buggy Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Have you looked here, it used to be a lot better but it suffered a server melt down and never came back with as much data as original site. BUT it does have a lot of information, you might get lucky...

http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/

Thanks for the info, already someone helped me. This buggy is based on a Subaru 360 chassis, Penneys Micro Buggy was the original and this "larger" buggy was a prototype, found some pictures here also but they are as rare as they come. As fas as the person that helped me, just 6 buggies of this size are still alive 😁. Will restore it as original as it can be and will have to build a custom frame but will install a VW powerplant. Thanks 🙏🏾
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown buggy Reply with quote

love the dash and hood gauges make that buggy great again! post up pics.
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown buggy Reply with quote

I found this for sale somewhere and asked here about it. Ad said it was a Cheeseburg or something like that.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown buggy Reply with quote

Back in the early 1970s, there was a guy in SoCal who raced a Subaru 360 in SCCA D/Sedan class against other small cars. He did OK, but he told me one time at a race course in the desert (Willow Springs Raceway), that the headwind on the back straight felt like it brought him to a stop. I think I've only ever seen 1 Subaru 360 actually on public roads. So no going to be an easy car to find parts for in California. I doubt there are more of them in Ensenada. But there are LOTS of other options to build a very cool little buggy using parts from other sorts of cars and motorcycles with that body shell.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown buggy Reply with quote

^^ Willow Springs is a horrid place that I spent far too many hours at. It's either hot & windy there, or cold & windy.

Man I wish the AMA still did Superbike races there!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown buggy Reply with quote

There is just one small hill between my home and seeing Willow Springs Raceway. And about 50 minutes drive... Rolling Eyes

But same weather. And I've lived here 32 years and like it...
Why are you saying I'm crazy?

Back when, somebody around the SCCA racing made up some shirt front buttons that said "Willow is Wonderful". I still have one around here somewhere. It was an obvious joke, as most everybody (SoCal suburban folks) hated the weather at Willow Springs.

For all of you other folks who don't know anything about the place and have probably never heard of it...

Willow Springs is a road race circuit in the Mojave Desert of southern California. About 80 miles north of LA. And because it's close to Hollywood, it's seen VERY often on TV, in videos, magazines, car commercials, even in the movie Ford v. Ferrari. It's close to Edwards Air Force Base, where man 1st broke the speed of sound, and Space Shuttles used to land (pretty close to where shuttles were all built too). It's also where I got my 1st offroad ride in a VW-based dune buggy, a Burro. I just saw Willow in an ad in my phone earlier today. I don't remember what the ad was about or even which app the ad was in, but I remember seeing that VERY familiar place. Average wind speed is about 10mph. But I've been there when the sustained wind speed was said by weather people to have been over 80mph. Dusty place too. No trees or grass. It IS the desert.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown buggy Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
There is just one small hill between my home and seeing Willow Springs Raceway. And about 50 minutes drive... :roll:

But same weather. And I've lived here 32 years and like it...
Why are you saying I'm crazy?

Back when, somebody around the SCCA racing made up some shirt front buttons that said "Willow is Wonderful". I still have one around here somewhere. It was an obvious joke, as most everybody (SoCal suburban folks) hated the weather at Willow Springs.

For all of you other folks who don't know anything about the place and have probably never heard of it...

Willow Springs is a road race circuit in the Mojave Desert of southern California. About 80 miles north of LA. And because it's close to Hollywood, it's seen VERY often on TV, in videos, magazines, car commercials, even in the movie Ford v. Ferrari. It's close to Edwards Air Force Base, where man 1st broke the speed of sound, and Space Shuttles used to land (pretty close to where shuttles were all built too). It's also where I got my 1st offroad ride in a VW-based dune buggy, a Burro. I just saw Willow in an ad in my phone earlier today. I don't remember what the ad was about or even which app the ad was in, but I remember seeing that VERY familiar place. Average wind speed is about 10mph. But I've been there when the sustained wind speed was said by weather people to have been over 80mph. Dusty place too. No trees or grass. It IS the desert.

It's a race track, who care's about the weather.... ITs just part of the challenge...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: