Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Experience Drag Racing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
looks like fun,also like 1.34 rockers and more CR....would be a lot funner.and the valve guides would thank you if they could.
my 2028 that was in my bug when I sold it ran 10.4cr for over 80000 miles fun hard zingger miles...and I sold it a few years back.I talked to the guy who bought it yesterday,(he wants my 356 so I have to make room to get it out for him and make room for another car in the garage) he said he hasent lost a "race" yet.loves blowing away stangs & stuff.
have fun with your buggy but dont forget to go over the entire car real good on a ragular basis . when racing things dont always break...witch means..they may the next time. and that hurts.

Parting with a 356 to make room for another car? That must be some car....
Mike-O-Rama
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Excellent Job!

I remember thrashing weekly on Tuesday nights, and skipping class Wednesdays to race out at Sears Point aka Sonoma Raceway (Not in an air cooled VW unfortunately)

Play with tire pressure and adjust it as the temperature gets cooler at night

Get a shift light to help shift consistently

See if someone can take video of your car launching, sometimes you see things happening with the rear suspension that you can't feel.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Had some fun at the PIR Friday night drags tonight in the bug. I was the only aircooled there and also the slowest. Lots of mustangs, corvettes, camaro's, teslas, audi's, and a few bimmers. My bug is a bone stock 69 single port except it's now a 1600 and I put on my 30/31 Solex carb. Best time was a 20.462 at 62.38 mph (need to work on my start). One thing that I wasn't expecting was I can't hear my motor over the other cars and I don't have a tach so just kept an eye on the speedo and tried to wring out a little bit beyond the shift points. I did six runs and overall it was a lot of smoky, loud fun.

Video of a run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu4LUDT9ed0

Inspection
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Best time
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, Mike-O-Rama!

Frenchroast, that is awesome! I wish I would have known you were heading out there, I would have joined. 6 passes is great, thanks for sharing your video!
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

stevemariott wrote:
Thanks for the tips, Mike-O-Rama!

Frenchroast, that is awesome! I wish I would have known you were heading out there, I would have joined. 6 passes is great, thanks for sharing your video!

I will let you know! I'm thinking about doing Saturday, 9/18 and avoid the Friday night traffic. Next few weekends have Indy cars, etc. on the calendar.

My goal is to get under 20. I think I can do that with some more practice, dropping some weight off the car, and maybe a minor jet change. This car is so slow I could probably start letting the clutch out on the first yellow. There is a delay between the clutch engaging as the weight shifts back and the car actually moving forward that you don't notice in daily driving.

This is super fun. I'm already thinking about some period-style changes that don't involve opening up the case like an extractor and glasspack, lightened flywheel, ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Yeah!! Friday nights won't work well for me next month, so I think that works great. Keep it in mind! I'll invite the one local aircooled guy I know that goes to the drags.

Leave all of your tools and misc. out of the car to drop weight. Some simple changes could make a big difference . . . single QP exhaust . . . 010 . . . Kadrons . . . it's a slippery slope!

frenchroast wrote:

I will let you know! I'm thinking about doing Saturday, 9/18 and avoid the Friday night traffic. Next few weekends have Indy cars, etc. on the calendar.

My goal is to get under 20. I think I can do that with some more practice, dropping some weight off the car, and maybe a minor jet change. This car is so slow I could probably start letting the clutch out on the first yellow. There is a delay between the clutch engaging as the weight shifts back and the car actually moving forward that you don't notice in daily driving.

This is super fun. I'm already thinking about some period-style changes that don't involve opening up the case like an extractor and glasspack, lightened flywheel, ...

frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

stevemariott wrote:
Yeah!! Friday nights won't work well for me next month, so I think that works great. Keep it in mind! I'll invite the one local aircooled guy I know that goes to the drags.

Leave all of your tools and misc. out of the car to drop weight. Some simple changes could make a big difference . . . single QP exhaust . . . 010 . . . Kadrons . . . it's a slippery slope!

Having some more AC folk would be nice! Will DM you next month.

For power/weight ratio, I left the spare and tools in the paddock last time but could also easily drop the seats too.

Been thinking through my plan. I have an 009 but I think the stock distributor is better so will leave that in (unless I can find some data that proves otherwise, it's easy enough to swap in and out and get actual times to prove or disprove). I want to progress through changes to see the comparative changes (minus driver inconsistency, skill). First, I'll bump the main jet up one notch - 120 to 122 - before I leave home and try that out. I can change the idle from the 55 to 60 at the track. Air volume is probably fine with stock valves but I'm going to put a tennis ball on the lid just in case it can get some more air in and the motor can make use of it. I don't have my old Thunderbird header and single QP anymore so am looking through CL for one. Probably put a 125 or 127.5 main jet in with that.

Might look for another aircleaner, strip out the fiber and run it dry. Or make a velocity stack and put a vent hose out the bottom somehow. Not sure. Need to think that through.

I got out my copy of the Fisher book last night and it shows that a stinger makes a difference too. Might try that. It's easy enough to change at the track but a QP is a must for daily driving. I.e. if it's too loud, you're too old.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Congrats on making your dream happen. 👍👍

I tried taking my buggy to the local track, but the head safety guy was a complete dyck. Because it's an open top car, he treated my car like an 8 second altered and said no even though it has a full cage and full cell. He said it had to be a funny car style cage. I thanked him for his time, pointed to the USFRA inspection stickers and told him I'll just take it back to Bonneville and run on the salt again. He looked perplexed
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

What is the inspection criteria for PIR?

Let's cement a drag date for Sept. 18 2021. The 19th is a Sunday

I wanna take on that Fn dune buggy. I'm gonna get my A$$ kicked. But it still would be fun to have a race against it! Cool

French Toast, I gotta Bengie that says that you cannot beat better than 6 seconds behind my 67! Very Happy

Make it happen guy's and girls!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

I wanna take on that Fn dune buggy. I'm gonna get my A$$ kicked. But it still would be fun to have a race against it! Cool

French Toast, I gotta Bengie that says that you cannot beat better than 6 seconds behind my 67! Very Happy

Hmm interesting wager. I'm bringing the 330i then! Laughing

I don't know what the official inspection criteria is but the inspector walked around my car once and when I asked if he wanted to see the battery hold down he said as long as it's in the stock location he doesn't worry about it. He just wanted to see the motor - and laughed when I opened the lid. An S4 in front of me was required to wear a helmet and 70 dodge swinger was too. There was a 2000-ish convertible corvette - no roll bar - and he just had to wear a helmet (Slalombuggy should come down here). I think I was the only one there not required to wear a helmet. Make sure your windows can roll all the way up. If it's open even a crack they stop you before the waterbox.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:

I tried taking my buggy to the local track, but the head safety guy was a complete dyck. Because it's an open top car, he treated my car like an 8 second altered and said no even though it has a full cage and full cell. He said it had to be a funny car style cage. I thanked him for his time, pointed to the USFRA inspection stickers and told him I'll just take it back to Bonneville and run on the salt again. He looked perplexed

Eff that guy..

Last edited by Dauz on Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:

A friend has had the same issue with a FVee , they put a not formula spec engine in it for fun events , it would be be too quick for the drag scrutineers to run in a straight line without arm restraints and the same roll sort of cage forward of the drivers head . But he can race it on the circuit right next door in the same complex with multiple cars battling around corners , go figure !
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Frenchroast, that all sounds good! Next month it is!

Slalombuggy - thanks! Sorry to hear about your local track - your buggy and the fab work you've done to it looks amazing, I can't believe they turned you away.

67rustavenger, YEEAAH, IT'S ON!! Very Happy Glad to have you join! Saturday, September 18, anyone else want to come out?

I'm sure the tech for your car is like Woodburn's. Like frenchroast said, the battery hold down is one thing the tech guy will look at - I saw him check that out on every car. I would just make sure that everything looks safe and solid, and that you've got hose clamps on all of your fuel connections.

The tech inspection sheet had well over a dozen (two dozen?) things to check off, but most of it didn't apply to my car because it's aircooled and the engine's in the back. Here's the info posted on the PIR website:

https://portlandraceway.com/?/events/upcoming_events/drags

https://portlandraceway.com/file/214/Basic_Tech_2020.pdf

67rustavenger wrote:

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:

................................................................................................................some of these tecks.at drag strips dont know there ass from a hole in the ground. yet they let these fiber glass 32 ford guys race with out a roll bar. with big block motors . or these kit cars with fake roll bars . v8 guys dont like getting beat by a 4cyl. vw . drag racing is fun till you break some thing. lol most ofv the time its the transaxle spencerfvee
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Some tech guys are like, “ I don’t know this guy, he could be trying to sneak a 10 second car in here”.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

I'm trying to invite a few other like minded friends for the Drag Day!

Xevins wife Xatie is worried she'll break her trans. But we'll see if they come along and spectate.

I have a grudge with a buddy. Daniel still has a 65 cruiser in his garage. But now enjoys the Dodge family of hotrods. If he shows up. He'll be bringing a 70's Truck, he claims hasn't been beat by any street car.

There's also a coworker that has a 72 beetle. Doug sports a 2180 build that is patterned after a Berg setup. Doug claims it's a 13 second car.
I'm gonna twist his arm, to come along.

I gotta change one of my rear fenders. It's damaged and rubbing on my left rear tire. But with a three day weekend coming up. I'll get that done.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Sounds good, 67rustavenger! Very Happy
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Update: the rain forecast looks real for Saturday so I am making other plans for tomorrow night. Lots of Fridays and another Saturday before end of October, though. In between showers this weekend I plan to play with the new dyno app; I think I figured out what I was doing wrong.
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Sounds good. Let's keep an eye on the weather and we'll figure out another date.

frenchroast wrote:
Update: the rain forecast looks real for Saturday so I am making other plans for tomorrow night. Lots of Fridays and another Saturday before end of October, though. In between showers this weekend I plan to play with the new dyno app; I think I figured out what I was doing wrong.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

a Aw well, we need the rain anyway!

Frenchroast, How does the app know the RPM's and torque?
Never have spent more than $2.00 on a phone app. $14.99 would be a step up.
Cheap bastard that I am! Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: