Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new dual port cylinder tins
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

texastomeh wrote:
I am interested in a set of these to use on my 1776 build instead of the set of sorta' beat-up SCATs used by the PO.

My build is using "new" MOFOCO 042 Cylinder Heads and EMPI Dual 40 HPMX Carbs with OFFSET MANIFOLDS.

Can you give me a "general feel" as to the fitting/grinding/trimming that will be required to make these work?

Tom

Tom, I just went through this, to prepare a pair of CB offset manifolds for a good friend's 1776 engine for using Chinese clone 40 IDFs. His engine was built by either the PO or by the Porsche 356 replica seller and came with Weber 34 ICT carbs. The cylinder tins are likely aftermarkets, though they have the captive nuts on the rear-facing sides for attaching the single carb manifold preheat pipe covers.

The manifolds were TERRIBLE as to the amount of rework we had to do. Here's a shot of the offset one on top with the thickness of the aluminum (outboard of the red line) which we ground off to get the manifold to sit firmly against the cylinder tins. We removed the existing manifold base gasket from the engine from the ICT build and held it against the bottom of the offset manifold to get the outline. The lower manifold is the ICT. The purple arrows show the visual difference of the manifold flange thickness.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We used an 80 grit flapper wheel on the angle grinder, with the manifold simply clamped to the edge of the work table. Here you can see the actual black line we used as the trimming edge. Each manifold needed about 20 minutes of pure grinding time, interrupted by numerous test fits. A belt sander would've been a better tool but we did not have one.

But the offset manifolds needed much more work:
1. The bottom flange on which the 2 fastening nuts sit is much thicker than the flange of the ICT's manifold- 5 mm. The 2 studs on the head were not long enough to accomodate that extra thickness, and to use a lock washer. So we removed the 4 studs on both heads (double-nut method, done in car) and installed some that were about 1/2" longer.
2. The bottom flange where the 2 fastening nuts sit was not flat- the surface was "peaked" due to lack of clean-up machining in the manufacturing process. We had to file down that peak to achieve a flat surface "plateau" with a hand file. Did that by eye, realizing we probably ended up with a slightly cocked/tilted plateau.
3. The frontward-facing manifold fastening nut could not be installed because the base of the runner was too thick. There was not enough space between the head's manifold stud and the runner. We shaved off about 3/16" of aluminum from the side of the runner using the grinder flap, going up from the nut plateau about 2" in a concave shape. We had to go deep enough into the side of the runner so that the lock washer would drop down onto the stud and sit flat on the plateau, the sides of the nut would clear the runner, and I could get the 1/4" drive socket swivel over the nut. We used these nuts: http://vwparts.aircooled.net/ACN-Flanged-Racing-Intake-and-Exhaust-Nut-8-x-10mm-p/acn-nuts.htm
4. The threaded holes at the tops of the manifold for the 4 carb base studs were poorly machined. We could only turn the studs down about 1/3 to halfway by hand until we had resistance. At that point we started using a double-nut method and a wrench to turn them in. After encountering this aggravation on the first stud on the first manifold, I chased all the threads with an M8 x 1.25 tap so that we could turn the rest of the studs down easily by hand.

We're still working on a few final settings on the installation including smaller idle jets and the correct combination of throttle linkage arms so that we get identical throttle opening amounts at idle, and part-throttle. Engine runs... Once we finish I'll add photos to my gallery and intend to make a detailed write-up thread.

jeffrey8164- did you also encounter similar problems with your offset manifolds?

Last edited by Rome on Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

Quote:
jeffrey8164- did you also encounter similar problems with your offset manifolds?

I know that you asked jeffery8164.

But what you have posted was my exact experience with CB offset manifolds and JayCee IDA manifolds.

I had to grind the head cylinder tin side of the intake manifolds to get them to sit squarely on the heads. Without cutting a huge hole in the tins to make room for the large flange base.
The above might be wrong. But it works for me.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

I PM’d him and he answered right away.
Shipping from the far east is the bottleneck.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
I PM’d him and he answered right away.
Shipping from the far east is the bottleneck.

Thanks dude. I know there's a ton of freighters just anchored off the California shore awaiting a berth to unload. Our tins are prolly out there somewhere...rusting Smile
Nando_b63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

Mr Clark just found your post , Tks.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

Hey kids it looks like someone unloaded the shipping container. Very Happy

Hard to say much bad about these. .040" thick. The only spots thinner are due to stretch near intricate areas so in my opinion they are as advertised.

I happen to have Kangaboy's 2085 Turbo in my basement on the floor so I gave them a testaroo. His engine is .070" wider than stock. They fit well most everywhere.

It's just a touch tight in the right front by the flange but I suspect this is mostly the fault of the Aluminum case being a bit bloated.

Would buy again in a heartbeat. These will actually go on my off-road engine in the end.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

These came clearanced like this right out of the box? Nice!

Thank you for the report. Nice to finally see a decent repop part that fits!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

Just arrived on my doorstep a few minutes ago. They look good other than few scratches in the powder coating from bouncing around and the box.

Some wadded up heavy paper would go a long way in keeping both tins separated from each other during their shipping journey.

volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

i finally got my hands on the tins, getting caught up on backorders

i shot this little video, showing german vw vs common aftermarket vs my tins.

trying to show all the issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDzqVDLSh_8
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

that tight spot it found on factory German tins as well. hense why so many gases have a groove eaten into them from vibration.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

I received my tins yesterday. Thank you very much.
I can’t compete with the previous pictorial, but I will say that with my eyeballs and a tape measure they look spot on to OG.
I too have a little scratch from shipping. They’re getting painted anyway.
I’m really glad these are out there now.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

glad to hear it!
shakinjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

Current Pricing and do you have in stock?
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

yes got them in stock, i have an ad on here, you can see the pricing
primer - $150
primer + inserts $154
powdercoated $185
powdercoated = inserts $189
+ shipping

PM me if interested
alindeman1989
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

Pm sent!
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
That "someday" will also include painting the tins black.....

Will that "someday" also include getting an engine lid that stays open without the use of a screwdriver? Razz
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: new dual port cylinder tins Reply with quote

Randall wrote:
Cusser wrote:
That "someday" will also include painting the tins black.....

Will that "someday" also include getting an engine lid that stays open without the use of a screwdriver? Razz

No. I have 1971 Convertible with lid standoffs (and a 1970 sedan lid) and 1835cc engine in Phoenix AZ with a shroud-mounted oil cooler - it gets @$^&&$#@@$%^&$#@$&%@#% HOT here !!!

So the stock lid holding spring will not work with the lid extenders. But maybe I'll also paint that screwdriver, thanks for the idea !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: