Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

One of a kind
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: One of a kind Reply with quote

I’ve decided to get this thing running again. I got this from the original owner a few years ago he’s in his 80s and slowing down some, but he still drinks beer with me. He built it in the 70s where he’s still living on several acres. He had a VW salvage yard and did general repairs. Looking at it you see the ass end of a mid 60s bus with reduction gear boxes. Old type 1 front beam, the rest is just was lying around. Today I changed a clutch disc and pressure plate and mounted a used dual port that had a previous home in a 54 bug. I didn’t like that in the oval.

I didn’t have any help today did it all using a lift cart I got at harbor freight.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: One of a kind Reply with quote

That should make him happy! Someone put enough miles in that thing to wear out those back tires!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: One of a kind Reply with quote

I need to get it operational the take it back out there. Here we are last summer he’s the guy wearing the hat and I’m Mickey Mouse.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: One of a kind Reply with quote

Post some pics of the whole car !! I would like to build something similar but with a bay bus torsion assy and rear frame rails.

BTW, I drank a lot of "little Millers" in my younger days Smile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: One of a kind Reply with quote

rayjay wrote:
Post some pics of the whole car !! I would like to build something similar but with a bay bus torsion assy and rear frame rails.

BTW, I drank a lot of "little Millers" in my younger days Smile

Everything and everyone has a season and it is with sadness I tell you that Jim the builder of this buggy passed away a few weeks ago. Then it came to my attention that his family regretted his decision to sell the buggy. His daughter called me and expressed an interest in getting it back to the family. In my opinion the only way to satisfy everyone is to return it but to further complicate things they have no funds to purchase. I offered to sell back for exactly what I paid but I’m leaning towards just giving it back and taking other VW parts in trade. You see Jim operated a VW salvage yard since the 1970s. I’ll most likely take a loss on this deal but for his daughter and grandchildren this buggy is going home 😀

Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: One of a kind Reply with quote

Here’s Jim about 20 years driving this badass machine
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: One of a kind Reply with quote

Good choice! That Buggy has a lot of sentimental value to them. Right now emotions are running high and in a few years you could very well get a call to come and get it when they realize it is going to take time and money to keep it up. And if not, there are a thousand other Buggies that you could have fun with and grow attached to.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: