Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What were your cost to completely restore your project?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bhmyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: What were your cost to completely restore your project? Reply with quote

I'm knee deep in a complete body off restoration. I have prepared a budget based on everything I would like to have once complete and it will be more than I could ever get out of the vehicle. That's okay, I know its a hobby/obsession and going this route wasn't based on an investment. Every nut/bolt/washer/grommet/ gasket, etc will be brand new and the very best quality. This is not a stock OEM build. All bolts are hex stainless, the front suspension is airkewld with wilwood brakes, the rear is limebug, its a slow process but it will be done (in my mind) the right way. Once finished I will have somewhere in the neighborhood of 35K-40K in it. I know some people will think thats crazy but It will be everything I enjoy and thats what is important to me. Im just curious what others are spending on their builds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
downsbs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: What were your cost to completely restore your project? Reply with quote

I'll have about 18k in my 1958 Ragtop rebuild, but, I do everything myself. Body and paint work, interior, build the engine, everything. Mine is also a complete body off restoration, a custom one much like yours.

What year is the car you're doing? That makes a difference in final cost.
Bhmyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: What were your cost to completely restore your project? Reply with quote

downsbs1 wrote:
I'll have about 18k in my 1958 Ragtop rebuild, but, I do everything myself. Body and paint work, interior, build the engine, everything. Mine is also a complete body off restoration, a custom one much like yours.

What year is the car you're doing? That makes a difference in final cost.

I have a 62 ragtop, body and paint is "outsourced" I wish I had that talent. Engine build is 10K alone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: What were your cost to completely restore your project? Reply with quote

I did a body off on my 60 ragtop. Paint was outsourced, everything else was done in house (my garage).

New just about everything. I choose not to add it all up, but I would ballpark it at 25-30k. Paint and body is a large chunk of that.

From this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

To this

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: What were your cost to completely restore your project? Reply with quote

… $3400 at completion - i'm the same, do everything myself - not really great at anything... use some Bondo and get some runs in my paint - use the closest, to original as I can find - it's a 1954 oval, bought in 2011 for $1500 and installed a 1961 stale air, 40 horse - converted to 12 volt - got a 356 generator rebuilt for $110 - Been doin' this, for over 50 years and have a lotta' spare parts - really only had to buy gaskets, seals, tune-up stuff and the like - had almost everything, in my stash - bought a used set of tires - actually new, but 3 different brands...

… when I got done, drove it for while - then traded it for a 1950 11A bug + some cash, needing almost everything again - seems I like working on these things, more than driving them - that's why, we have several Hondas and MR2 Toyotas, for comfort and reliability --- many VWs too - to work on - Always adding to my parts stash - really helps to keep the completed cost down to thirty-four-hundred BUX ... z

installing the '61 stale-air 40 horse...

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK

Last edited by ZENVWDRIVER on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: What were your cost to completely restore your project? Reply with quote

I’ve spent about 3k on parts and have my dad’s 67 bug registered and inspected. I will need about another 1500 worth of parts to finish the body work and interior. I’m doing all the work myself with the help of my kids, 17, 14 and 12. Once we are ready we will get the paint done professionally. That will add a chunk of change to the total. I’m not concerned about the value of the finished product as this will be my older son’s once I can’t drive anymore. I hope everyone has good luck with their projects!

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: What were your cost to completely restore your project? Reply with quote

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Bhmyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: What were your cost to completely restore your project? Reply with quote

car_cursed wrote:
I did a body off on my 60 ragtop. Paint was outsourced, everything else was done in house (my garage).

New just about everything. I choose not to add it all up, but I would ballpark it at 25-30k. Paint and body is a large chunk of that.

From this

To this

Looks great!
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: What were your cost to completely restore your project? Reply with quote

I think if we were all in the same room several of us would be trying hard to avoid eye contact. Embarassed

Max
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What were your cost to completely restore your project? Reply with quote

My wife put you up to this, didn't she? Rolling Eyes LOL!

I don't keep track and never have. I just know she's gonna ask one day Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What were your cost to completely restore your project? Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
My wife put you up to this, didn't she? Rolling Eyes LOL!

I don't keep track and never have. I just know she's gonna ask one day Laughing

Good plan. DO NOT KEEP RECEIPTS -- that's just evidence to use against you! Laughing

I'd guess just about all the nice shiny overpriced VWs for sale here on theSamba are cheaper than the cost to build... but you can't prove anything. Shocked

I'm sure it cost less than my wife's 2012 MX-5 power hardtop touring edition with all the options (except no automatic transmission.) That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What were your cost to completely restore your project? Reply with quote

Complete restoration is the question. It all depends on what you start with. Solid car, little rust repair needed, knock $10K off the bill of starting with a rusty one. Motor can be $3K to $7K, depending on what you start with. Good interior, just need a carpet and headliner or everything? $1000 to $5000. Paint for a full inside and out must be $5k-$10k, suspension, tires, transmission all add up. I don't think I'd do another complete restoration again as I was nervous driving it and it somehow lost the fun of the reason to build it. Oh it's a split, add $20K! Wink
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What were your cost to completely restore your project? Reply with quote

Very nice pictures 😀

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What were your cost to completely restore your project? Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
Complete restoration is the question. It all depends on what you start with. Solid car, little rust repair needed, knock $10K off the bill of starting with a rusty one. Motor can be $3K to $7K, depending on what you start with. Good interior, just need a carpet and headliner or everything? $1000 to $5000. Paint for a full inside and out must be $5k-$10k, suspension, tires, transmission all add up. I don't think I'd do another complete restoration again as I was nervous driving it and it somehow lost the fun of the reason to build it. Oh it's a split, add $20K! Wink

… back in the '70s, we bought a Euro '57 rag with semaphores and I spent about $2K restoring it - took it out, for it's maiden ride - some guy, ran a red light and hit me - totaled the Euro - was fun, while it lasted - z
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What were your cost to completely restore your project? Reply with quote

Never keep track, cause if you ever add it up you'll be sick to your stomach.

My friend did the body work and paint on my car and said he stopped keeping track after 250 hours. I paid him $3000 and did a website for him.

Then I did all the labor, what's that worth?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What were your cost to completely restore your project? Reply with quote

I agree, I never keep track. But I have several thousand in on my builds. I’m in $17,000 on my 71 Westy, it’s currently insured for !30,000. My 65 bug I’m currently in 4000. Will probably hit 5000 before I’m done, hoping to get that insured for $15,000. To me it’s all about the investment.

What does that tell you??? Buses are worth twice as much. So go buy a bus!!!
’65 Deluxe Build
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What were your cost to completely restore your project? Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
I don't think I'd do another complete restoration again as I was nervous driving it and it somehow lost the fun of the reason to build it.

You hit on a huge point with that sentence! I've done the "beautiful car" thing once. I was so happy... and then I couldn't enjoy it. Suddenly it is about protecting "all my hard work." I'm hovering around my car at shows and not seeing the rest of creations on display, not talking to the builders more than a couple cars away, and not enjoying the show that I paid to enter. I had to protect my "investment."

My current aircooled ride project is an old Berry Mini-T. I've liked that buggy body since I was 7 or 8 year old. It is horribly impractical, unlike a Manx type buggy it is strictly 2 seats, and zero storage. But I like it -- AND I'm keeping the tired 50+ year old purple glitter gel-coat. I don't have to worry about a new scuff, and I don't want to loose that childhood joy this time.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What were your cost to completely restore your project? Reply with quote

ALWAYS keep track....

Sure, it will be more than some think it’s “worth”, and you may get in trouble with how much you spent. When it comes time to insure it, having documented receipts gets very few complaints from the insurance company if you decide on an abnormally high amount. Keeping track also let’s you see what it would cost for replacement from a total loss.

While you are saving labor costs doing it yourself, that’s less than half the cost of a fully paid restoration. What if you are unable to do the work you once did from an accident, but are still able to drive, and enjoy a vehicle? It’s not unheard of for someone to insure a vehicle for double the investment in parts/materials if there is no labor costs.

And no, $35k-$40k is not out of line in 2021. Finding a better than average vehicle to start with can easily use $5k-$10k right off the bat.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What were your cost to completely restore your project? Reply with quote

$3K to "resurrect" my 1970 VW that had been sitting for 23 years at the side of my house, "retired" in 1993 to have money available for my kids' food, clothes, etc; biggest cost was insurance then.

Anyway, did rebuild the 1600cc DP engine from my 1971 that had been removed to install my 1835cc engine, and also needed a rebuilt MoFoCo transmission. Did all brake hydraulics and shoes, cleaned electricals.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664950&highlight=resurrection+of+my+1970

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: What were your cost to completely restore your project? Reply with quote

Found this type 3 Squareback parked for ten years under pine trees. Oh my the sap did protect the paintas it is orignal paint. Anyway started from the front and went thru all of the vehicles systems. Now safe to drive. Less then 5500 in it.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: