Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

wcfvw69, Bill I see your distributor restorations here on the Samba, great work!

Should I ever have an issue with the 205Q I will get in touch definitely.

After a check of the fuel lines & brakes and seeing no red flags.

I took the Bus out for a 10 mile drive early on Sunday around the neighborhood when the roads were empty.

Very pleased! It runs like a top- shifts smoothly, clutch has no slippage or chatter, brakes nicely, idles and accelerates without any noticeable issues. The Horn even works! Laughing

Big smile the rest of the day Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TrollFromDownBelow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Jay Pearson wrote:

I took the Bus out for a 10 mile drive early on Sunday around the neighborhood when the roads were empty.

Very pleased! It runs like a top- shifts smoothly, clutch has no slippage or chatter, brakes nicely, idles and accelerates without any noticeable issues. The Horn even works! Laughing

Big smile the rest of the day Very Happy

But does the rear defroster work? Wink That will be the true litmus test whether it is a bona fide 30k original mile bus. Cool
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Hmmm. Look at that nice 1971 four bolt apron….😎
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Hmmm. Look at that nice 1971 four bolt apron….😎

my 1971 VIN 2212225009 was a two bolt apron. There is some question as to what vin that changed

Last edited by SGKent on Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwmerckx Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

My 71 (12/1970) is a two-bolt apron
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Carburetor rebuilt and back in with a little clean up of the fuel pump and air intake tube. Put in new plugs at the time as well went with the NGK BP5HS fired right up, will get it on the tach, dwell and timing light tomorrow after a drive around warmup.

Silly question but is any one refreshing the German Bosch WR8 & 7's even just for posterity pieces. Hesitating on throwing them out.

Stumbled onto a new cleanup "tool" the magic sponge, great for getting into tight spots, removes grunge without scratching up or giving the over done look.

As in the famous Seinfeld episode it was Sponge Worthy!

Sunday will be big smile day again I can feel it Very Happy

Take Care!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Well on Saturday I thought I would do an easy clean up of the middle and back seat. I soon realized a "super sized" coke had been spilled on the floor at some time in the past and put a coke layer under the floor mat in the passenger area.

Took six plus hours to "uncoke" the floor. Cleaned up nicely after using multiple cleaning products and a lot of time.

Net net floor looks like it should and will stay that way. No eating in the car Rolling Eyes going forward.

Take Care!

vwmerckx Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Looks factory !!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

glue that one strip back on.
jason1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

This is a great thread. What a treasure this bus is!

Not sure if it's been covered back when you posted the tires pic...

Old tires are dangerous. they get hard and even though you can have all the original tread, the sidewall even if not cracked the thing can just shred on you on the highway.

I replaced my "perfect" 15 year old tires and the difference is amazing (quieter, track better, easier to turn) and peace of mind to boot.
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Jason1, picked up new tires today.

Went with the Hankook Kinergy 205/70 /R14.

Plan is to get the wheels to the media blaster and powder coated then new tires mounted.

The 1996 tires have less than 1000 miles on them but are not worth risking it on. Shocked

Will keep them around as they are part of what confirms the actual miles on the Bus.

Take Care!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Jay Pearson wrote:

If you’re set on keeping it stock, why would you buy the wrong tires? The Kinergy 205/70r14 are passenger car tires. The bus is going to handle poorly and will have terrible wind wag. The correct tire to buy would be the Hankook Vantra 185r14c and if you wanted to go bigger the Vantra 195r14c is the next size up.
’65 Deluxe Build
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Jay Pearson wrote:

If you’re set on keeping it stock, why would you buy the wrong tires? The Kinergy 205/70r14 are passenger car tires. The bus is going to handle poorly and will have terrible wind wag. The correct tire to buy would be the Hankook Vantra 185r14c and if you wanted to go bigger the Vantra 195r14c is the next size up.

Agreed, that's going to feel mushy to drive. Confused

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Rich & Bus Daddy, thank you for the input. I don't want to put the wrong tires on the Bus.

I got these based on size and load capacity, many 185 & 195 tires I viewed did not meet the load capacity.

Are you referring to the Vantra LT tire from Hankook?, looking for it on their website and via a large national tire chain, it does not show it available in a 185 to 205 size at this time.

Appreciate additional input, no new tires have been mounted yet.

Take Care!
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Rich & Bus Daddy
Further searching shows the Vantra LT is out there in a 185 and 195, may have a little delay in getting them.

Is this the tire you recommend based on your experience?

Take Care!
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

I have the hankook vantras on both of my westys and recommend them highly. I’ve used them in every condition you can imagine. I’ve probably put 100k on them altogether and never had a flat except for a set that the valve stems failed. 3 failed in a matter of a couple months and then I caught the 4th one just before it failed. The centrifugal force split then right at the rim.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Jay Pearson wrote:
Rich & Bus Daddy
Further searching shows the Vantra LT is out there in a 185 and 195, may have a little delay in getting them.

Is this the tire you recommend based on your experience?

Take Care!

Yes, they are great tires. Everyone has there own ideas on pressure, but I ran mine at 35 PSI. Some like 40 in the rear, but I never had issues at 35. I could be mistaken but I think the 185 has a diameter of 25.5” and the 195 is 26.5”.

I have found many good deals on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-195R14-Hankook-Vantra-L...632-2357-0
’65 Deluxe Build
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendation's, will look to return and replace with the Vantra's.

One reason I started and continue the posting is to get experienced input and feed back as I go along.

Take Care!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

I can give two thumbs up on the Vantras too. Dancing <--...or two pointy fingers...

Just had the second set installed last month, and the first set lasted close to 65k miles.
That's much better than what I would get with my SUV.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Another option with a good track record in the Vanagon world is:

Yokohama SuperVan 356
Y356 LT185R14 8 Ply Rating
Load Range D 1850 lbs @ 65psi cold

They’d be nice on a bus too.

Full disclosure I run Hankooks on the 72 Campmobile (RA08) and 85 Westy (Vantras) They’ve treated me well for my driving needs. I also run the recommended air pressure VW suggests on both cars.

Xevin wrote:
After all my research on tires. I decided to stay stock size for an 85 1.9wbx. I did put VW alloys on it Embarassed
If stock was good for the PO and 200,000 miles. Its good enough for me. I don’t do snow in the PNW since they started salting roads a couple years ago. What I need is good grip in rain on hilly freeways and fire road traction.

I went Hankook 185/14” skateboard wheels Embarassed I’ve put 300 miles on them. For windy wet freeways. I dig them.

Xevin wrote:
So Dave, with you in mind. I took the Van on an off road tour to see how the Hankooks would do on some slippery stuff when I go camping. This should be all I need. Your requirements may be different.

And some wet muddy grass. I had no problems.

What I couldn’t take a picture of is the steep off camber descent on the back side of this loop. It made my butt pucker but the van was sure footed and confident. The tires meet my needs. Hope this helps.

Look, dirt! Like some of the big boys Laughing

I’ve got 4K miles on these now. The tires still handle my off road needs and daily driving conditions just fine. I live in hilly, wet, traffic of Portland,OR. I’m sure the Hankooks will be just fine for you. But I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the Yokohama’s at a good price either.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 17

Jump to: